Pascagoula, Mississippi ... Hurricane Katrina Photos

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Bluefrog
Category 1
Category 1

Pascagoula, Mississippi ... Hurricane Katrina Photos

#1 Postby Bluefrog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm

The house my mom built and that I grew up in..she sold it 5 yrs ago.

Complex where I lived and my mom also owned one.
Last edited by Bluefrog on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

Bluefrog
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby Bluefrog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:16 pm

0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby m_ru » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks for the pics. I've been down in Pascagoula and Gautier since the storm and pictures don't even do the damage justice because it's so widespread.

btw, are any of the pines that browned after the storm showing any signs of life because I've seen them in the past where they've browned like that and then came back the next spring.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby TSmith274 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:39 pm

Wow Bluefrog, I'm sorry to see that. Hopefully yall will get back to where you want to be soon. The destruction never ceases to amaze me.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:18 pm

[img]Complex where I lived and my mom also owned one.[/img]

That one kind of blew me away....
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#6 Postby pojo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:43 pm

I've been to Biloxi several times now (after Katrina).... and do have pictures.... the devastation and destruction on the pictures doesn't constitute the ACTUAL amount of damage... something like this needs to be seen by your own eyes.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby george_r_1961 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:54 pm

pojo wrote:I've been to Biloxi several times now (after Katrina).... and do have pictures.... the devastation and destruction on the pictures doesn't constitute the ACTUAL amount of damage... something like this needs to be seen by your own eyes.

Agreed Shannon. I was down on the Gulf Coast in May for a few days, including Biloxi, and words cannot describe what I saw MONTHS after Katrina.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:55 am

m_ru wrote:Thanks for the pics. I've been down in Pascagoula and Gautier since the storm and pictures don't even do the damage justice because it's so widespread.

btw, are any of the pines that browned after the storm showing any signs of life because I've seen them in the past where they've browned like that and then came back the next spring.

A lot of the pines are showing life again--thank God. It was so dead looking around here for so long I think it added to the depression. I have noticed some of the oaks coming back too. They look really funny though since many of the smaller limbs are gone and the foliage is sprouting from the trunks. They are no longer spreading out but having to put out new growth. It is going to take many years for the trees to look close to normal here but that is the least of our worries. It is going to take years to see the MS coast even approaching her former glory. Such a shame since it was a wonderful place to live and to visit.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:33 am

Wow! :cry:
0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby m_ru » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:48 am

bevgo wrote:
m_ru wrote:Thanks for the pics. I've been down in Pascagoula and Gautier since the storm and pictures don't even do the damage justice because it's so widespread.

A lot of the pines are showing life again--thank God. It was so dead looking around here for so long I think it added to the depression. I have noticed some of the oaks coming back too. They look really funny though since many of the smaller limbs are gone and the foliage is sprouting from the trunks. They are no longer spreading out but having to put out new growth. It is going to take many years for the trees to look close to normal here but that is the least of our worries. It is going to take years to see the MS coast even approaching her former glory. Such a shame since it was a wonderful place to live and to visit.

Thank God!!! To me, there is nothing more beautiful than those punished looking longleaf and slash pines you see mainly in Mississippi. Alabama, and Florida panhandle....I like the Mississippi ones the most.
(there may be one thing more beautiful)
0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby m_ru » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 am

I sound like such a nerd, but I love the Mississippi Gulf Coast with a strange amazement I haven't found anywhere else. I would love Charleston a whole lot too...but not to the extent that I love the MGC
0 likes   

HurricaneHunter914
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby HurricaneHunter914 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:43 am

Those are some amazing pictures Bluefrog, I hope things turn out better for you guys as the Gulf Coast continues to turn back to normal.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”