My Katrina Tattoo is Famous Around The Globe!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

My Katrina Tattoo is Famous Around The Globe!

#1 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 am

The AP released an article around the globe yesterday, on the tattoo I got after Hurricane Katrina! I think it is hilarious!

Wearing their pain: Katrina survivors sport memorial tattoos
7/7/2006, 1:35 p.m. CT
By STACEY PLAISANCE
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Sean Jeffries never thought he'd feel so strongly about something that he'd permanently mark his body with a tattoo. But that was before he and a handful of friends were trapped in a city that spiraled into chaos following Hurricane Katrina.

Two weeks after being rescued by a caravan of buses led by the National Guard, he and two friends got small matching hurricane symbol tattoos in various shades of blue.

"We went through a lot," said Jeffries, a 38-year-old banker whose tattoo is on the upper portion of his right arm. "I'll probably never get another tattoo, but this one means something to me. I got it because it has meaning behind it."

Many survivors whose souls were scarred by Katrina are having images of hurricane swirls, crumbling buildings, names of the dead or broken hearts gushing floodwater indelibly etched into their skin.

"Katrina has moved people to do this more than anything else I've ever seen," said tattoo artist Jay Lyons, manager of Electric Ladyland Tattoos. "We're doing fathers and daughters together, older folks together. It's a lot of people who would have under any other circumstances not come in here."

Tattoo artists citywide say nearly a year after the hurricane that killed more than 1,577 Louisiana residents, as many as half of tattoo customers want storm-related images.

"It's kind of morbid, really, but I guess people are having strong emotions about what happened and they don't know how else to say it," said Annette LaRue, the owner of Electric Ladyland Tattoos.

Jim Hand, a 58-year-old retired postal worker, had much of his lower left leg covered with a large fleur-de-lis. An eery, dark skull protrudes from the stylized lily that is the city's symbol.

The skull represents "something taking it over," he said. "Like pirates."

Lyons' shop has a book of fleur-de-lis images, including one engulfed in flames with banners that read: "Through Hell or High Water" and "NOLA Forever."

"We used to get one, maybe two requests a week, now it's one or two a day," Lyons said of the fleurs-de-lis, which since Katrina are requested by themselves or incorporated in larger storm-themed images.

Travis Diebolt of Crescent City Tattoo Co. said his clients have asked for tattoos of the city skyline, the boot-shaped state of Louisiana and banners listing names of victims.

And at Art Accent French Quarter Tattoo parlor, Ray Nazworth says he's etched cracked and crumbling bricks and snapped tree limbs into clients' skin.

Lyons believes the tattoos are a kind of therapy for Katrina survivors.

"A big part of their lives has been lopped off," he said. "This is a way to reclaim that and say, 'I'm proud of who I am, where I'm from, that I'm here.'"

Andrea Garland and her husband, Jeffrey Holmes, say their matching "RIP Lower 9" tattoos are tributes to the Lower Ninth Ward residents who lost their lives and homes when the city's levee system failed, inundating the neighborhood with floodwater.

"Just because we were lucky doesn't mean it doesn't affect us," said Garland, whose Upper Ninth Ward home got about 3 feet of floodwater compared to several times that much in homes in many parts of the city.

"This is an event that's never going to leave us," she said. "It's something that's dramatically affected and changed our lives forever."

For Jeffries' friend Tim Lawrence, placement of his storm symbol tattoo was just as important as the image itself. The 31-year-old, an assistant manager at a French Quarter hotel, got his on the back of his neck — his way of putting the storm behind him.

"I'll always have a hurricane at my back," he said. "I never want to have one in front of me again."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Se ... gle+Search
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:36 pm

Sean, you must post a pic of the tattoo!!!!!
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Here is my famous tattoo...

0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 pm

kewl!
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SouthFloridawx » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:35 pm

I have never been one to even think about getting a tattoo... I have actually never found anything that I would think about putting on my body but, that sir is awesome!
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby HollynLA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Sean, that's very cool and a great rememberance of something that affected your life in such a profound way. You'll have to show it to me one day!

I swear I would get a tatoo if my husband wasn't so against it. yet he has one on his arm too :roll:
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby HollynLA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:38 pm

OH, and it would be a great addition to add the date 8/29/05 under it.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#8 Postby pojo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:51 pm

I remember reading that article in our local newspaper!
0 likes   

GrimReaper
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby GrimReaper » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:47 am

:D Way Cool, Sean!!!
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#10 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Wow - I remember seeing that article a month ago (I think in the Chronicle) and had no idea it was you!
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#11 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Ditto that! I read it too and had no idea!
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby LaPlaceFF » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:22 pm

I am thinking about getting a tatoo...
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby NFLDART » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Awsome tat guy