My homeowner's went up to $2,777 from $1,650. :)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby Frank P » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:08 am

Ixolib wrote:
Frank P wrote:
MGC wrote:I recently turned down a good paying job near Ft Myers, reason? Can't afford to buy a house. Even if we sold both houses up here in Mississippi I could not afford a similar home in Fla because of the cost, taxes, insurance......MGC

Houses on the MS Gulf Coast are not getting any cheaper either... they are so overpriced now it's ridiculous... houses that should be selling for 160K are going for almost twice that much at 275K.... and I think its going to get worse over time... I know a friend of mine that is building a house just to sell it... its a small house about 1500 sq feet and pretty basic... he was going to ask for about 160K... it's not even finished yet and people are offering him 225K... I bet he sells it for 250K or more because houses, especially new ones that are elevated, are SO hard to find... this is NOT a good time if you are a buyer on the MS Gulf Coast

Hey Frank.... Kinda makes 'ya wonder what you could get for your "lot" (albeit now improved with 28 pilings!!). I'd think a mil wouldn't be out of the question. Especially being so close to the mall and being "relatively" higher than some other similar lots on the beach?????

mil sounds pretty good to me too .... I was offered 852K just for my lot by a condo developer one month after the storm but one of the neighbors wouldn't sell... so the deal fell through... after I build and live in it a while I might put it up on the market nationally... see what I can get so this here boy can retire early maybe...
0 likes   

Zackiedawg
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#22 Postby Zackiedawg » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:06 pm

Sounds very familiar. Living in South Florida, we've had sharper than the usual rate increases after hurricane Andrew (nowhere near our area) that chased out many insurance companies and left all remaining facing 20-30% increases, then again in 2004 after Charley/Frances/Ivan/Jeanne (only Frances of which had any impact in our area) we faced another 25+% increase, and of course in the wake of Wilma we're facing yet more...to the tune of an as-yet undetermined 30-120% increase.

On top of that, we must take a mandatory 2% deductible, home values have soared around here meaning a house like mine that was in the $300s when new is now valued at nearly $900K...which equals a hefty $17,500 deductible. Windstorm is a separate charge. Many exclusions are mandatory, which eliminates payouts for much of your property. Our power company (FPL) just got approval to raise rates because of the damage they claim they took in the hurricane (despite the fact that they turned record profit last year and issued hefty dividends to their stockholders). City dues went up to compensate for damage to city facilities and landscaping. Neighborhood dues went up for the same, as well as charging single-pay surcharges.

Claims made in the past 20 years on my insurance policies? $0.

Damage paid out of pocket to fix? $15,000 from Wilma. $500 from Frances.

Cost of Hurricane Wilma despite no damage to my house and landscaping damage paid out of pocket? $25,000, plus $12,000 per year more in insurance, utilities, and dues.

Welcome to Florida - land of the rich, and those going broke trying to stay here!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Frank P » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Zackiedawg wrote:Sounds very familiar. Living in South Florida, we've had sharper than the usual rate increases after hurricane Andrew (nowhere near our area) that chased out many insurance companies and left all remaining facing 20-30% increases, then again in 2004 after Charley/Frances/Ivan/Jeanne (only Frances of which had any impact in our area) we faced another 25+% increase, and of course in the wake of Wilma we're facing yet more...to the tune of an as-yet undetermined 30-120% increase.

On top of that, we must take a mandatory 2% deductible, home values have soared around here meaning a house like mine that was in the $300s when new is now valued at nearly $900K...which equals a hefty $17,500 deductible. Windstorm is a separate charge. Many exclusions are mandatory, which eliminates payouts for much of your property. Our power company (FPL) just got approval to raise rates because of the damage they claim they took in the hurricane (despite the fact that they turned record profit last year and issued hefty dividends to their stockholders). City dues went up to compensate for damage to city facilities and landscaping. Neighborhood dues went up for the same, as well as charging single-pay surcharges.

Claims made in the past 20 years on my insurance policies? $0.

Damage paid out of pocket to fix? $15,000 from Wilma. $500 from Frances.

Cost of Hurricane Wilma despite no damage to my house and landscaping damage paid out of pocket? $25,000, plus $12,000 per year more in insurance, utilities, and dues.

Welcome to Florida - land of the rich, and those going broke trying to stay here!

OUCH
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#24 Postby wayoutfront » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 am

Lindaloo wrote:I am paying $1974.00 a year now. Guess what was added to my policy that was not there before... yep, the clause stating that "This policy does not provide flood coverage for flood damage or storm surge" "Your limits for coverages A, B, C and loss of use reflect the construction price index increase of 5.5%" Bunch of damn hustlers and crooks!!

storm surge is in bold when they are referring to it not being covered!! :roll:

storm surge has NEVER been covered with a homeowners and is and always has been flood.

They clarified it too make it clear no matter what your personal opinion or which lawyer is that storm surge is a FLOOD.

Storm surge is covered by NFIP ( Flood)
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 pm

I know that wayoutfront. I worked insurance for 12 years. Second, NO that was not in my policy before. I looked back at all of my declarations and it was not there.

Any perils of a hurricane. Hmmmm, did the surge happen because of a hurricane? They needed to be specific. Can't wait to see the outcome of the most recent lawsuit. I hope the "people" win and some type of federal regulations are put in place to control the greedy insurance industry.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:26 am

Linda, I am with Nationwide and the words STORM SURGE are not in my policy and I had a special Hurricane Rider that I paid extra for that contradicts what is said in the actual homeowners policy :) :) :) :) so we will see what we will see.

When we bought this house we transferred our coverage so don't have the actual "new policy" as of yet.

Mary
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#27 Postby Dionne » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:33 pm

Katrina took us right to the edge financially. The storm drained my working cash reserve.

We didn't see our first adjuster until the end of November. By that time most of the damages (primarily from windfall) had been repaired. We did all the work ourselves.....I'm a carpenter. All I did was document with pictures and materials costs. We broke even on our primary residence, lost a good deal on the commercial property and actually made a profit on the Hattiesburg home.

FEMA did help us with timber removal. We had to cut the trees off of the buildings and haul it to the street. Some guy in a big beat up truck with a hydraulic loader came and got the timber. He had a really big grin on his face.

None of our property insurances have jumped. All three are in declared disaster counties.

What did jump was our vehicle policies. We had no claims. No accidents, no tickets....nothing. A 30% jump. Right out of nowhere.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I am in a declared disaster county as is MSRobi. Our insurances went up. So, I do not understand what made you special and us poor?
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#29 Postby wayoutfront » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:17 pm

It was not in your policy because people don't need it spelled out that Storm surge is a flood. Only ambitious lawyers who want YOUR money

I also am only replying because Bogus information is still bogus and steers people in the wrong direction. Having 12 years of experience in Insurance doesn't mean anything if you fail to pass on the proper/correct/factual information

Storm surge is flood period and the courts have never ruled they were caused by wind. and there are so much case law on the subject, I still do not understand why people want it to be

You never paid a single penny for protection of storm surge or flood in your HO policy why do you expect your carrier to pay for the damage from it.

I just don't get it.

PS an when you say all Peril I am assuming your talking about an HO3 policy

all perils are covered except which is specifically EXcluded "FLOOD/ WATER DAMAGE"

3. Water Damage
Water damage means:
a. Flood, surface water, tidal water, overflow of a body of water, overflow from a body of water, or spray from any of these, whether or not driven by wind;

have a nice day
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:52 pm

wayoutfront

You might want to go back and read your own insurance companies policies. I know what mine says and I know the definition of a flood........the Gulf of Mexico does not flood. I don't want something for nothing. I just want was is justly mine. No one knows what destroyed my house, no one was there....there is case law in Florida that says when the structure is completely gone, both policies must pay and I know MS doesn't have to recognize that, but I do know that MS law has to be WORD SPECIFIC! Don't tell me the top winds in Pascagoula were only 87 mph gusts........come on who you trying to fool?????? Just cause we live in Mississippi doesn't mean we are uneducated stupid people. Why would your company pay my neighbors on the east of me that had no house left on their homeowners and pay the neighbors on the west of me that had partial structure left standing??????? We all had Nationwide.........two of us even have the same agent.............can you explain that one??????????????????????????????????

Mary

Mods sorry if I seem to be blasting him personally, but I get rather touchy when someone that doesn't know what they are talking about try to tell me I am wrong. Again, sorry.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#31 Postby Dionne » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:04 am

Lindaloo wrote:I am in a declared disaster county as is MSRobi. Our insurances went up. So, I do not understand what made you special and us poor?

I don't know why our real estate rates didn't jump. We insure with both the Mississippi Farm Bureau and Shelter Insurance. We insure only for catastrophic loss. Our deductibles are high.....$5000 each.

It makes a big difference when the property owner is a builder that can purchase at near wholesale prices.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:07 am

wayoutfront wrote:It was not in your policy because people don't need it spelled out that Storm surge is a flood. Only ambitious lawyers who want YOUR money

I also am only replying because Bogus information is still bogus and steers people in the wrong direction. Having 12 years of experience in Insurance doesn't mean anything if you fail to pass on the proper/correct/factual information

Storm surge is flood period and the courts have never ruled they were caused by wind. and there are so much case law on the subject, I still do not understand why people want it to be

You never paid a single penny for protection of storm surge or flood in your HO policy why do you expect your carrier to pay for the damage from it.

I just don't get it.

PS an when you say all Peril I am assuming your talking about an HO3 policy

all perils are covered except which is specifically EXcluded "FLOOD/ WATER DAMAGE"

3. Water Damage
Water damage means:
a. Flood, surface water, tidal water, overflow of a body of water, overflow from a body of water, or spray from any of these, whether or not driven by wind;

have a nice day

Bogus information? You are an adjuster not a writer. You do what you are told to do. LOL! So, your opinion does not matter to me or anyone else for that matter. 12 years experience is what it is. You can quote and unquote all you want to. You are for the insurance company, not the people. When you are written a HO policy you think you are covered for all damages in a hurricane. So, spare me the policy details. Maybe you should come down here and tell the elderly and the now homeless that psycho babble. :grr:
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:09 am

MSRobi911 wrote:wayoutfront

You might want to go back and read your own insurance companies policies. I know what mine says and I know the definition of a flood........the Gulf of Mexico does not flood. I don't want something for nothing. I just want was is justly mine. No one knows what destroyed my house, no one was there....there is case law in Florida that says when the structure is completely gone, both policies must pay and I know MS doesn't have to recognize that, but I do know that MS law has to be WORD SPECIFIC! Don't tell me the top winds in Pascagoula were only 87 mph gusts........come on who you trying to fool?????? Just cause we live in Mississippi doesn't mean we are uneducated stupid people. Why would your company pay my neighbors on the east of me that had no house left on their homeowners and pay the neighbors on the west of me that had partial structure left standing??????? We all had Nationwide.........two of us even have the same agent.............can you explain that one??????????????????????????????????

Mary

Mods sorry if I seem to be blasting him personally, but I get rather touchy when someone that doesn't know what they are talking about try to tell me I am wrong. Again, sorry.

Well said Mary. He works for the insurance company, he probably won't give you that info. :lol:
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#34 Postby wayoutfront » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:46 am

Your making it obvious why there so many issues.

The policy says clearly what it covers.. The case law says clearly what it covers

yet you still say your homeowners should pay for flood. Even to the point of saying the Gulf of Mexico does not flood .

I don't know what else to do

Sue your Insurance company

For all the spectators who think these ladies have it right?

They are wrong on all their points.. You will be hurt pretty bad financially if you expect your Property Insurance will cover Flood .

I don't see how me working for the MAN changes the fact. If you want Flood coverage get a flood policy

and yes I have been in many states and have told them they have no coverage for flood.

Its just a plain fact. and Its not enjoyable .. but a fact non the less

and persoanl attacks are something I am used to from homeowners that have/will not take responsible to read their policies

They thing that really bothers me is not that you believe you should be paid for flood is that You qualify yourself as having 12 years experience and want other people to believe they do

Just think there may someone on here that may bite and believe you and they will be in the same boat you are.

I know folks with 20 years experience in Insurance Some are Presidents of carriers and some are receptionist.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:53 am

Hey listen here! NO ONE is telling people not to buy flood. I purchased flood insurance a long time ago. But, when push comes to shove, MS Law STATES WORD SPECIFIC!! Do you understand?

And there is not one damn person that says they want something GIVEN to them. Read up on your laws instead of being a robot for the insurance company.

If you have a problem with my years of expertise in the insurance industry, then may I suggest we compare licenses? :roll: Blah blah blah to your reply about the receptionist. I worked in the office and in the field. I refused to continue to be a robot and is why I left and will never go back to that crooked business again. Can you say the same? By your replies, you are too far gone.

Let me respond to your financially bad statement. People invest their money for years and years, never file a claim but when they need to get some of their money back to repair their home you start whining and crying, throwing temper tantrums hollering bankruptcy or not offering coverage. What happens to ALL the money that individual has given to you in premiums every year? Bet you can't answer that. I can though, the crooked inurance companies invest in the stock market to make more money off your money. In the long run, you crooks manage to get out of paying claims then increase the premiums. Greed is greed is greed.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#36 Postby wayoutfront » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:56 am

First off an Insurance policy is not a savings account that you pay into year after year. Its a contract for 1 year for 1 premium

They do not give me anything. I am an independent All Lines adjuster

Licensed in Multiple states MS being one. I

and our pay is based on the amount of covered damages that I find for the insured.

The carriers actually us me more to pay Insureds MORE money

I would be a gozillionaire if they decided to pay for uncovered damages

thats just a fact.

Its no different than someone buying a DP1 policy on their 100 year old house and expecting a full replacement cost adjustment.. They want a Maserati for the price of a Pinto.

Now as far as this debate goes I am done. Its not my job to protect the public against bad and factually wrong advice but I tried.

My licenses and appointments are available at vitually every DOI site.

Peace out I am done
I won't even respond to "your last word"
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Because the truth hurts. Yeah, a contract that never pays off WITH YOUR OWN MONEY when you really need it.

Once again, you are not going by MS Law. But yet, you are licensed in MS? That is laughable.

What part of listen do you not understand? You show up at my door and you will get booted all the way back to North Carolina. That is a fact.

My last words though, shouldn't you be out helping some poor soul that lost everything instead of typing on your computer? Wonder if the insured would like to know that.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#38 Postby wayoutfront » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:34 pm

OK I am not talking just showing you the recent MS ruling on the topic

The first two cases addressing flood exclusions have been decided by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. One of the two district judges in that district has recused himself because of his own Hurricane Katrina claim. Therefore, the only remaining judge, the Honorable LT Senter, Jr., is going to decide all the hurricane cases filed in Mississippi federal court. His first two rulings give something to each side, but provide a strong indication that he is going to decide these cases based on the facts and law, and not social policy.
Buente v. Allstate

Judge Senter's first opinion was in Buente v. Allstate Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., 2006 WL 980784 (S.D. Miss.). In Buente, the plaintiffs' home was severely damaged during Hurricane Katrina, primarily through "tidal" water from the Mississippi Sound. The Allstate policy contained the following exclusion:

* We do not cover loss to the [insured] property consisting of or caused by:

1. Flood, including, but not limited to surface water, waves, tidal water or overflow of any body of water, or spray from any of these, whether or not driven by wind …

4. Water or any other substance on … the surface of the ground regardless of its source.

Judge Senter found the flood exclusion was clear and unambiguous, and applied to the inundation of plaintiffs' home by tidal water. He rejected plaintiffs' contention that the damage should be covered because it was "storm surge," which was not a specifically excluded peril. Instead, he found that "storm surge" fell within the policy definition of "flood," the exclusion applied, and granted summary judgment on that issue.

http://www.irmi.com/Expert/Articles/2006/Levin07.aspx
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:43 pm

wayoutfront wrote:OK I am not talking just showing you the recent MS ruling on the topic

The first two cases addressing flood exclusions have been decided by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. One of the two district judges in that district has recused himself because of his own Hurricane Katrina claim. Therefore, the only remaining judge, the Honorable LT Senter, Jr., is going to decide all the hurricane cases filed in Mississippi federal court. His first two rulings give something to each side, but provide a strong indication that he is going to decide these cases based on the facts and law, and not social policy.
Buente v. Allstate

Judge Senter's first opinion was in Buente v. Allstate Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., 2006 WL 980784 (S.D. Miss.). In Buente, the plaintiffs' home was severely damaged during Hurricane Katrina, primarily through "tidal" water from the Mississippi Sound. The Allstate policy contained the following exclusion:

* We do not cover loss to the [insured] property consisting of or caused by:

1. Flood, including, but not limited to surface water, waves, tidal water or overflow of any body of water, or spray from any of these, whether or not driven by wind …

4. Water or any other substance on … the surface of the ground regardless of its source.

Judge Senter found the flood exclusion was clear and unambiguous, and applied to the inundation of plaintiffs' home by tidal water. He rejected plaintiffs' contention that the damage should be covered because it was "storm surge," which was not a specifically excluded peril. Instead, he found that "storm surge" fell within the policy definition of "flood," the exclusion applied, and granted summary judgment on that issue.

http://www.irmi.com/Expert/Articles/2006/Levin07.aspx

You need to get to work.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#40 Postby wayoutfront » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:44 pm

Since you asked

after working away from home for 20 of the last 24 months I thought I would take a month or 2 off and see my daughters and repair my home and fifth wheel before this years Hurricane season begins.and I am gone again for another year
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”