Almost Two Years Later after Ivan (pics)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

Almost Two Years Later after Ivan (pics)

#1 Postby beachbum_al » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:09 pm

Almost two years ago Hurricane Ivan destroyed the Alabama Coast Line near my home. Here are a few pictures taken this past weekend while in Orange Beach. The first picture is the main road that runs from Gulf Shores to Orange Beach. This is the road that was literally washed out. Now it has a new sporty pavillion for beach goers. The old convention center is still there. They are still fighting over what is going to go there, etc.

Sand Dunes are finally coming back too!

This is the road that washed out from Ivan. Now there is a nice pavillion for beachgoers

Palm Tree overlooking the Gulf of Mexico from the pool. This area was completely destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. This area from the condo open to the public just two months ago. Another sign of recovery.

Still signs of recovery and construction going on. This condo building actually had the side peeled off of it. You could literally see the inside of the building from the side that overlook the condo where I took this picture. Now it is almost finish but still a reminder of that day.

Reasons why I love the Coast and refuse to leave

Last edited by beachbum_al on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#2 Postby Jim Cantore » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:11 pm

where are the pics?
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby beachbum_al » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Here they are. :uarrow: :cheesy:
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#4 Postby Jim Cantore » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:41 pm

Looks like things are coming along nicely, I'm sure it's not the same though.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Who is that cutie playing in the surf?....MGC
0 likes   

docjoe
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby docjoe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:26 pm

The Alabama coast has made a remarkable comeback, especially when compared to Pensacola Beach. However seeing all the new structures and high rise construction is a bit sad. I remember the area from the 70s and 80s and my mom has pics from the 50s. I realize that "progress" will happen and all Ivan did was hurry it up a bit but sometimes I wonder if we know what we are losing....both to storms and to progress. I could not imagine living anywhere other than the northern Gulf but I sure do miss what used to be sometimes.

docjoe
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby bob rulz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:58 am

That's what happens when a major hurricane blows through, docjoe. It destroys everything in it's path, and that just leaves room for bigger, more extensive and elaborate construction, then boom, another hurricane blows through, and it just causes more damage than last time because there's more people and more buildings. Then what happens? They just build even bigger stuff, even more stuff.
0 likes   

Acral
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Acral » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:12 pm

One of the things that you do not see in the pics is how nearly everyone who lives here in Gulf Shores still gets real jittery at the mention of a storm.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby beachbum_al » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 pm

Acral wrote:One of the things that you do not see in the pics is how nearly everyone who lives here in Gulf Shores still gets real jittery at the mention of a storm.

I am one of those who gets real jittery at the mention of a storm. It is a way of life down here but the news that one is coming is scary. I am still trying to get over what Katrina's storm surge did to my own hometown which is approx. 25 miles from the GOM. I still remember seeing the damage up and down the bay front. Hard to believe that a storm that far away could do something like this. It is a jitter type of feeling I think many along the coast will have for years to come.

Gulf Shores is till picking up the pieces but they are making a comeback too.

And Docjoe, I remember when the sand dunes were the only thing on the beach. Kind of like in the picture where the Gulf State Park pavilion is located. I remember as a child going down there with my family once a week and there was nothing but sand dunes, sand, and ocean for miles. I miss the sand dunes and any chance I get to see one is remarkable. They are beautiful. My inlaws condo actually sits back a ways and there are sand dunes in front of it going out to the beach. I don't remember if I posted my daughter pics in front of the sand dune. I did somewhere but I think it was in the off topic.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”