Hurricane Camille

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

Hurricane Camille

#1 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:24 pm

August 17, 1969. It has been 37 years since Camille paid the MS Gulf Coast a visit.

What is strange to me is the fact that Katrina took almost the same path Camille did, leaving behind the same destruction.

Prayers going out to all who lost their lives in Camille. And to Faith, Hope and Charity, three women killed during Camille who remain unidentified 37 years later, may you rest in peace.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Hurricane Camille

#2 Postby george_r_1961 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Lindaloo wrote:August 17, 1969. It has been 37 years since Camille paid the MS Gulf Coast a visit.

What is strange to me is the fact that Katrina took almost the same path Camille did, leaving behind the same destruction.

Prayers going out to all who lost their lives in Camille. And to Faith, Hope and Charity, three women killed during Camille who remain unidentified 37 years later, may you rest in peace.

I was 8 years old then and remember John Hope on TV discussing the hurricane named after his daughter. Camille sparked my interest in hurricanes...but my parents assured me that there would never be another one like her.

Of course we all know now that isnt true.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Frank P » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Kinda hard to image Linda that two of the worse hurricanes in US history hit almost in the same exact spot.... never thought I'd see a cane worse than Camille, who has been legendary and revered for so many years... and rightfully so.... but when people talk about the big one.... I think that torch will be passed to Katrina.... and that kind of thinking one year ago at this time would have been incomprehensible
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#4 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:54 am

Truely one of the Legendary storms

0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Ixolib » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 pm

Frank P wrote:I think that torch will be passed to Katrina.... and that kind of thinking one year ago at this time would have been incomprehensible

Ain't that the truth!!

I was 12 when Camille came through and easily remembered August 17 - year after year - as the day that would live in infamy. Them came August 29, 2005 - a mere 36 years later - and history was rewritten again. That too is a date that I am sure will be easily remembered for all time. Last year at this time, on this date, many of us gulf coasters were sitting fat, dumb, and happy thinking we'd already seen the worst we could ever see. Man-o-man, were we ever wrong on THAT account...

Here's to Hurricane Camille - she's the one that got it all started for me....
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby timNms » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Ah, Camille. The one that set the standard 37 yrs ago....if I survived Camille, I can survive anything the Gulf throws at me.

Our friends who lived in Waveland had that mindset. The grandmother's house sat 22 feet above sea level. It survived Camille unscathed. They almost decided to ride Katrina out at her house. Thank GOD they decided differently at the last minute. Her house was gone after katrina. The only thing remaining was a concrete slab and one toilet.

I think Katrina will be the new benchmark for Mississippians for years to come...until the gulf decides to send a monster even worse than she was. I just hope those who remember Katrina have learned that you can't think the way the Camille survivors did..."If I survived Katrina, I can survive any storm"...as I have learned, it just doesn't work that way.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MGC » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:38 pm

Camille will be a footnote in history soon. As the generation that survived Camille passes on the generation that survived Katrina will remember her much like the Camille survivors do now. I hope there is never another Camille or Katrina....MGC
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Frank P » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:29 pm

MGC wrote:Camille will be a footnote in history soon. As the generation that survived Camille passes on the generation that survived Katrina will remember her much like the Camille survivors do now. I hope there is never another Camille or Katrina....MGC

that deserves an AMEN....
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby NFLDART » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 am

MGC wrote:Camille will be a footnote in history soon. As the generation that survived Camille passes on the generation that survived Katrina will remember her much like the Camille survivors do now. I hope there is never another Camille or Katrina....MGC

I hope and pray as well...There is hope for the future that the lessons of the past will not be forgotten. I would like to think that there would never again be a need for my team, But alas, I realize that this is a fantasy. Our hearts go out to all of you, and should the need arise again, we will be there, as we know the gesture will be reciprocated in our time of need.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”