Back to back anniversarys

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jim Cantore

Back to back anniversarys

#1 Postby Jim Cantore » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:36 pm

September 4th: Hurricane Frances, 7th costliest storm in U.S history

September 5th: Hurricane Fran, once the third Costiest in U.S history, now... not so much

I have vivid memories of both of them (Fran being more personal)

Memories anybody?
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby O Town » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:20 am

The memory that sticks out the most about Frances was how slow she was and also her gerth, she was huge. She spent almost 2 days just sitting off the coast, and after just going through Charley the stress was enough to kill us here waiting for her to make landfall. She was moving what? 2mph for a whole day. Agony. In that time she started dumping rain it seemed like and it would never stop. Our backyard turned into a lake. Hubby had to dig a hole in the lowest area insert a 5 gallon bucket and a sumb pump meant for a pool inside the bucket to start pumping water out and toward the road and ditch out front. Thankfully he works in the pool business so the pump was easy to get our hands on. Otherwise I have no doubt the water would have come in my back door into the house. It did get high enough to start entering our shed/workshop. The ground was so saturated the water had no where to go. We did not loose any trees with her and no real wind damage at all, but I think the flooding was just as bad. I know she tore up the east cost and ate up alot of shoreline with her lingering off the coast for so long. And damaged the assembly building at KSC. She also set a record for the most tornados spawned by a hurricane, 123!
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#3 Postby Jim Cantore » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

I remember being sick as a dog when Fran came in, I also remember watching Jim Cantore getting absolutely blasted in Wilmington, and Jeff Morrow being in Mrytle Beach and they couldn't even connect with him. Then the next day as the remnents came inland, I remember watching 35-45mph winds tear through the streets of downtown Philadelphia.

Frances I remember vividly (She has the biggest satelitte image number in my collection with 701)

I remember just watching as she crawled across Florida.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”