Grant Program (Ixolib)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

Grant Program (Ixolib)

#1 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Ixolib, you may be waiting a while, because the MS Press Register is digging around over nothing causing delays! Allied Adjusting Corp is also named in lawsuits due to Hurricane Isabel. Seems they were in partnership with National Flood. The lawsuit states that Allied was helping the NFIP gain new customers in return they would not pay out as much money in the grant program, but I say not so dang fast there.

All the controversy surrounding the grant and how Allied handles it is actually a no brainer. The formula they use is this... say I have 108,000 dollars coverage on my home and my next door neighbor has 65,000, why should MY neighbor get more money than me? That is how they are doing this and issuing the percentage of damages.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Grant Program (Ixolib)

#2 Postby Ixolib » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Lindaloo wrote:Ixolib, you may be waiting a while, because the MS Press Register is digging around over nothing causing delays! Allied Adjusting Corp is also named in lawsuits due to Hurricane Isabel. Seems they were in partnership with National Flood. The lawsuit states that Allied was helping the NFIP gain new customers in return they would not pay out as much money in the grant program, but I say not so dang fast there.

All the controversy surrounding the grant and how Allied handles it is actually a no brainer. The formula they use is this... say I have 108,000 dollars coverage on my home and my next door neighbor has 65,000, why should MY neighbor get more money than me? That is how they are doing this and issuing the percentage of damages.

I hear 'ya... This whole grant thing just seems to be getting crazyer and crazyer. I did read where y'alls superviosrs (in Jackson County) have asked the state to provide details on how the "inspectors" (Allied??) are determining percentage of damages. I hear that in one neighborhood, three houses that were right next to each other each had widly-varying percentages of damage. And I agree with those home-owners' complaints in that they are not upset over the $$ value of the grant but rather they are upset about the difference (i.e., percentage) in damages received.

But, as it is, we are just patiently waiting to see the outcome, if and when it comes. The way I look at it, anything is better than nothing. My wife - on the other hand - is much more optimistic!!

In response to your $108K vs. $65K, I believe the value of the grant "should" be reflected in percent of damage to the property. So, if home "A" is valued (insured) at $108 and received 50% in damage, then the check would be $54K, right? And if home "B" is only valued at $65K, the grant would amount to $32.5K, right???

And as for Allied being in cahoots with the NFIP, that's a huge conflict in my (and your) book!!! I hope The Press continues to investigate and get the story out there for all to see.....
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:38 pm

Listen to this one Ixolib... I know someone who was Willed a house after Katrina. Okay, the grant program specifically states that you had to live in the home and own the home before Katrina. You have to show proof of flood insurance PLUS continuous homeowners insurance. You also have to prove you own the home. This greedy gal went and applied for the grant with only a Will and where the house is now deeded to her. They accepted this and sent an adjuster out. How in the world is she getting away with that? Isn't that considered fraud?
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Ixolib » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Sounds like it may be time to start blowing whistles...
Tips on Katrina-related fraud can be called in to the FBI hotline at (800) 225-5324 or the Department of Homeland Security-Office of Inspector General hotline, (866) 720-5721
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:32 pm

So, you think this is fraud?
0 likes   

StormWatcher2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby StormWatcher2 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Is the Will the result of a last testament (death) or is it an instrument of a Trust, or something else? If you, or I, met an untimely demise, wouldn't we want our beneficiaries to be able to acquire the personal property that you, I, worked a lifetime to acquire? Would you expect your beneficiaries (your children , parents, whatever) to just walk away with nothing because they did not live in the home on the specified date or failed to personally meet some other requirement that you did meet?

My point is that I suspect that the requirements might have been met if this Will is due to death and the deeding of the home was a result of the Probate process.

If I became incapicitated and found it necessary to Will my personal business and property in to a trust, I would want my trustee to be able to execute their fidicuary duty to liquidate my assets for my benefit and long term care. Wouldn't you?

I would find out more before I blew any whistles.

Just my thoughts.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:05 am

Well, if that is the case then why aren't they also giving grants to people who sold their homes after Katrina?

No one is saying anything about beneficiaries not being entitled. I have been Willed a home. I could understand it if that actual person was going to LIVE in the home, but she isn't. She is going to rent it out for profit. If they are going to apply rules they should pertain to everyone.

There, you have MY thoughts.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”