7 years ago today floyds flood

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

7 years ago today floyds flood

#1 Postby storms in NC » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:52 pm

It was 7 years ago today that we woke up at 3 AM to rising waters. We left in a boat at 7AM. We lost our home that day. And I thank God that we haven't had a hurricane sense then. Other than TS E a few weeks ago. We did have water around the house about 12ins. Floyd was a living night mare
0 likes   

huricanwatcher
Category 3
Category 3

#2 Postby huricanwatcher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:56 pm

storms in NC, SOOOO many people were inpacted by Floyd and sorry to hear you were also one of them. It had some major mental impact on me and will never get the pics out of my head. Possible lands threatning canes are so exciting, but at the same time terrifying...

I was one of the 'lucky' ones during floyd ... and watched as so many people were displaced and lost everything...

Not a good anniversary date ... today
0 likes   

Three Blind Mice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Three Blind Mice » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:22 pm

It just doesn't seem 7 years has passed. Hell of a memory maker.
0 likes   

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby shaggy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 pm

at the time i lived less than a mile from the tar river in greenville.We were on the high side and had no flooding but i watched as people literally across the highway were being evac'd by boat and helicopter.It was so eerie that i dont remember any noise excpet the constant sound of helicopters...

The night before officially made landfall we had most of our rain 11 inches in 3 hours by my rain guage and the flash flooding was intense.We were on the east side of hardee creek while the State troopers were on the other looking for aman that tried to drive across.The man got out of his car after it was pinned to a guardrail and he couldn't hold on.I was there everyday looking for his body whichw asnt found until the waters completely receded.WAs such a sad thing to see that this man lost his life because of one desicion!There was alot of guilt among me and my friends because there WAS NOTHING we could do but watch him go!
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tstormwatcher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:40 pm

I remember that my wife and I stayed put, many friends left. Most were unable to get back home for many days after. We were very glad we stayed. Knew several people who also lost their homes.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#6 Postby Jim Cantore » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:51 pm

I will NEVER FORGET that day. My first Hurricane, I had flashbacks the entire day.

Watching Whitecaps in a river was amazing. 50-60mph wind gusts and 8 inches of rain. What a day, a year long drought wiped out in 18 hours.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby angelwing » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:30 am

I remember that day, the flooding that happened in work, trying to get to work and being only 1 of 10 that made it in only to find out that they were going to let us go, but the other people that didn't make it in had to take a vacation day, we got paid for the day, then trying to get home, what a mess!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”