9/18/89 Anniversary of Hugo in Puerto Rico

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

9/18/89 Anniversary of Hugo in Puerto Rico

#1 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:43 am

Hurricane Hugo moved thru the NE corner of Puerto Rico as a 125 mph cat 3 hurricane.Being that the case,in Western and Southern Puerto Rico nothing occured and the sun was out all day.My experience was for me not good,although I wanted to see how it was like during a landfalling major cane as I never had experienced in my lifetime a direct hit until 18th of September,1989.After the hurricane passed,we were without power and water for 3 weeks and the damage was extensive.The peak gust at the San Juan Airport was 92 mph with higher gusts reported at other areas of Eastern Puerto Rico,with Roosvelt Roads Naval Base reporting a gust of 116 mph.Believe me,I dont want to see a major cane affect Puerto Rico because of what I experienced,so some who may want to see a cane go to their areas think twice before you wish for a major cane hit.

On thursday I will post my experience with Hurricane Georges as it's the 8th anniversary as it was worse than Hugo's.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby boca » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:04 am

Puerto Rico is a small island so I doubt that southern and western PR was sunny like you say while NE PR was being slammed by Hugo. Are their any sat pics of Hugo when Puerto Rico was getting hit.
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby msbee » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:25 am

These are the kind of anniverseries that you don't want to have.
yet it is important to remember.

I remember Hugo too. It just brushed us as did Georges..
Still even a "brushing" is more than enough.

I'm with you Luis!
After experiencing a direct hit, never again, hopefully!

Barbara
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:30 am

boca wrote:Puerto Rico is a small island so I doubt that southern and western PR was sunny like you say while NE PR was being slammed by Hugo. Are their any sat pics of Hugo when Puerto Rico was getting hit.

boca,you were not here but I was on September 18,1989,and I can tell you about the good weather that the South and Western part of Puerto Rico had that day.I am trying to get pics of Hugo,but the site that has them is nor working now.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby boca » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:59 am

Can't find a sat pic of Hugo hitting PR but here's a shot of Hugo closing in on South Carolina.
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/imag ... n11ch2.gif
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#6 Postby MiamiensisWx » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:22 am

Actually, there are several online satellite images (as well as private ones I've seen) of Hugo impacting the Lesser Antilles, including Puerto Rico and the Leeward/Virgin Islands. Here is a good link for some of the Hugo images I'm referring to, and here's one of them from that NOAA photo library Hugo link...

Here's also another as Hugo brushes Puerto Rico...

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, I'm CapeVerdeWave... just changed my username.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:47 pm

Thank you CVW for posting that album of Hugo photos.boca,you can see that the SW corner of the island had good weather as all the action was in the NE part. :)
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#8 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:41 pm

That video taken in the staircase during the height of it, I can't get the sound of the wind out of my head, almost like a death scream.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby O Town » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Category 5 wrote:That video taken in the staircase during the height of it, I can't get the sound of the wind out of my head, almost like a death scream.

Is there a link to that where you can see that on the net?
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:49 pm

Here's an image of Hurricane Hugo at his peak as a Category 5. What an impressive buzzsaw appearance!

0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”