80 year anniversary of the great Miami storm

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

80 year anniversary of the great Miami storm

#1 Postby x-y-no » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:53 am

Estimates are if this storm were to hit today it wold do well over $100 billion in damage. It was a huge system which hit as a Cat 4. Hurricane force winds extended all the way from the Upper Keys past Palm Beach.

I have a bit of family history in this storm - my mother's uncle Gustav had emigrated to the United States in 1916 and made a business on Miami Beach. In 1927 he returned home penniless with a horror story about the terrible storm which had wiped out everything he and everyone else had. Sadly for him, nobody in the family believed him and for the rest of his life he was bitter and angry because his whole family judged him a failure and a liar. When we moved to Miami back in 1967 and my mother read an article about the storm, she exclaimed "oh my God he was telling the truth." Sad story.

Some interesting accounts in the Sun Sentinel.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”