Rebuild Levees around NO starting to erode again...

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Rebuild Levees around NO starting to erode again...

#1 Postby MGC » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:14 pm

This from the Times-Picayune Sunday November 12.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1163319378112270.xml&coll=1

Seems the levees are eroding and need to be armored with rock and concrete. NO is still not safe from a major hurricane yet.....MGC
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:56 am

I was watching some show in TV about the levy rebuilding and they are using a much more elaborate system than was in place prior to Katrina. Not that it will make a big difference when a major comes in and unfortuantely we will probably find out where the contractors cheated on the design. It needs more than just fixing the failures. It needs a complete redesign throughout. ChaChing
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Well, the levees were supposed to be armored. At least that is what we were told by the "recovery czar" when he held his press conference in DC for all the cameras to see. Unfortunately, the money was siphoned off in comittees. So, we have very little armoring. We need 100% armoring. I guess they're just passing off this responsibility to future administrations. I've had it up to my eyeballs with this stuff.
0 likes   

Yarrah
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby Yarrah » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 am

Eh, what makes them erode so fast? Dikes should be able to survive in normal conditions for at least a hundred years without armouring them.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Poor engineering and cutting corners that's why.
0 likes   

Yarrah
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby Yarrah » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Is it just a matter of not investing enough money in this project or is it just the lack of knowledge in this field of engineering?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Aquawind » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Yarrah wrote:Is it just a matter of not investing enough money in this project or is it just the lack of knowledge in this field of engineering?

Looking at the new design it was probably an issue of money and design.. The new design is incredibly better not only in size but engineering. Of course the cost is always an issue until people die and still is with this new engineering. They don't have hundreds of years of levy experience the Netherlands has..tad bit of a learning curve.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby brunota2003 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Lindaloo wrote:Poor engineering and cutting corners that's why.
dont forget $$$...that seems to be the main problem is them not wanting to put tons of money into the system...that seems to be an issue with NOAA/NWS/NHC as well, funding $$$...I remember hearing things about NHC running out of money for Recon Flights last year...

I do have a question though...are the levees still made of dirt? or are they concrete?
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:14 pm

brunota2003 wrote:I do have a question though...are the levees still made of dirt? or are they concrete?

The levee system is a mix of different structures, both dirt and concrete. But believe it or not, the dirt levees performed better during Katrina. The concrete levees were just a disaster. Most of the levee system is dirt, however.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Aquawind » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:43 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14535074/site/newsweek/

Take it from the Pros..

A combination of Concrete, Soil and Steel is an American way.. Use all the resources for the highest cost and see what happens..
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby TSmith274 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:37 am

Aquawind wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14535074/site/newsweek/

Take it from the Pros..

A combination of Concrete, Soil and Steel is an American way.. Use all the resources for the highest cost and see what happens..

That's a great article... thanks for posting it.
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#12 Postby MiamiensisWx » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 pm

TSmith274 wrote:The levee system is a mix of different structures, both dirt and concrete. But believe it or not, the dirt levees performed better during Katrina. The concrete levees were just a disaster. Most of the levee system is dirt, however.

I believe the concrete used for portions of the levees was not installed properly for maximum surge protection. Also, it depends on how effectively the levee system and locks areas channel excess water and runoff (including storm surge), thus to reduce the risk of overtopping. That is what many of the concrete portions of the levee systems in the New Orleans area, as well as many areas of Placquemines Parish and surrounding broad vicinities, sadly and unfortunately lacked, I believe.

A good idea on proper levee installation (or at least one of the more attainable suggestions that is more easily in reach in terms of the costs that is closest to a more effective system) might come partially from the new local plans (revised) for restoration, ammending, and redoing of the Lake Okeechobee levees in Florida along the southern and central shores. If the New Orleans area levees were more along the lines of this and funded by the local levels and universities (such as LSU) instead of the Army Corps, some of the problems with the concrete levees and flood control might have been ammended.

Just my two cents.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#13 Postby Dionne » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

Please don't get me wrong on this....I dearly love New Orleans. It troubles me to watch business struggle for sales.

On a recent flight out of MSY I found myself looking at the water surrounding the city. If it's not water it's lowland. If Katrina had made landfall 50 miles to the west......most of NOLA would be a memory.

When your up high enough to view the river, MRGO, Ponchartrain and the canals it becomes obvious very fast. The levee system is a huge undertaking. Errors have been made. The single largest error is growth.

I don't think anybody has the answer. There may not be a viable answer.

It's very disappointing looking down at all the FEMA trailers. It's been sixteen months and folks are still living in FEMA trailers the size of my walk in closet.

It's almost like we have a third world country right here inside CONUS.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby MGC » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Dionne, parts of this area look worst off than some of the third world counties I have visited in my day. Here we are a year and a quarter and very little progress is being made. At this rate of recovery it will be a decade before things look like they did before Katrina......MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”