FEMA & MDA - Glad to have 'em!!!!!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

FEMA & MDA - Glad to have 'em!!!!!

#1 Postby Ixolib » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:51 pm

Got final word on our Katrina Homeowners Grant today. No doubt, the proceeds will go a long ways toward replenishing the depleted savings we had to spend on rebuilding our home in Biloxi. In my case, and in thousands of others, both our governor (Go Haley!!) and the federal government came through and turned a very bleak and seemingly insurmountable situation into one that is much more acceptable. As far as I'm concerned, FEMA and the Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) went far and above what I would have ever imagined....
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:43 am

You must have got a hefty sum. lol.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Ixolib » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:22 pm

Lindaloo wrote:You must have got a hefty sum. lol.

I suppose hefty is all in the eye of the beholder. But I can tell you that the final outcome is better than I had figured on....... As I said, it was a result that turned a bleak situation into one that is much more acceptable.

Having said that, I would MUCH prefer that Katrina had never graced our shoreline. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was much better, more settled, and had better direction pre-K than it does post-K. If I could go back to life as it was on 8/28/05 and beyond, I'd do it in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately, no amount of grant money, insurance money, or FEMA money can buy any of that back... :(
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:45 pm

Amen to that George. If only we could turn back time. I think that is great you received your money!!
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#5 Postby Jagno » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Ixolib wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:You must have got a hefty sum. lol.

I suppose hefty is all in the eye of the beholder. But I can tell you that the final outcome is better than I had figured on....... As I said, it was a result that turned a bleak situation into one that is much more acceptable.

Having said that, I would MUCH prefer that Katrina had never graced our shoreline. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was much better, more settled, and had better direction pre-K than it does post-K. If I could go back to life as it was on 8/28/05 and beyond, I'd do it in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately, no amount of grant money, insurance money, or FEMA money can buy any of that back... :(

You are sooooo right! I can't stomach why people are so blind that they can't see that insurance money, grant money or any amount money will not buy years of memories and security back. When we received our first insurance check we had people make the same comments. Sadly enough, the enormous amount wasn't enough to finish rebuilding at today's costs so we drained our savings and still aren't finished. And, I will be the first one to say that I felt our insurance company was very fair at the time. We are now going back in to negotiations but for that time they were fair.

Like you, I want normal back. I want all of our stores. I want Wal Mart to stay open past 10p.m.. I want my business to thrive like it always had pre-Rita. I don't want all of these debris ridden lots and homes as daily reminders of what was once beautiful. I want my grand old oak tree towing over my back yard. I want my 5 raised garden beds back and thriving. Money can't buy any of those things, just time and more hard work.

Most of all, I don't want to have to spend one more day listing Personal Loss items with pictures, receipts and replacement costs. It's like living it over and over every day.

Congratulations on your good fortune and I trust that the financial help will be useful in getting your lives as close to "normal" as possible soon.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”