Wind Pool Question to Ponder

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Wind Pool Question to Ponder

#1 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 am

I have been wondering about something and I want to ask for opinions on this topic.

Why is it that only the coastal counties are the ones being targeted to be made to join the wind pool? Do the people that live in "tornado prone" areas have to have a separate insurance to cover tornado damage? Would their damage not be from "wind". I know northern Mississippi is very prone to tornado's as are a lot of other areas in a lot of other states in the United States.

Do ya'll think that this should become a Federally run program like the Flood Insurance Program? I know that our home owners insurance premiums go up after a bad year with tornado damage as the losses are spread out.

I wish we had been in the Wind pool because they paid their insured people approximately 65% of the damages to their homes from what I understand. But we were not required to be in the Wind pool because we lived on the north side of Washington Avenue and not the South side...silly huh? My house is sure just as gone as the ones on the other side of the street.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had thought about it or had any answers to my questions.

Thanks,

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 am

I think that wind should be federally funded. I agree with that about something wrong here about the hurricane wind people are made to pay while the tornado wind people don't? Funny, you never hear of the insurance companies committing fraud for tornado winds.

They have moved that now Mary. It is everybody south of Ingalls Ave. :roll:
0 likes   

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby stormcrow » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:40 am

A tornado is a wind event, while a hurricane can not only be a wind event but a flood event. There is talk of a nation wind policy (NWIP?) to cover hurricane (and maybe tornado and hail?). The OKC tornado in 1999 did about 1 billion in damages, this is by far the largest recorded damages for a tornado event (not hail), and this wouldn't put the damages in the top 20 hurricanes landfalling in the us.
The courts will decide what is flood and what is excluded. So far the flood exclusions appear to be standing up in MS and outside of the NOLA levee system. In NOLA it appears the IOA (Insurance Advisory Organization) wordings may not be clear enough to exclude flooding directly related to flooding where the levees were improperly built. Companies that do not use the IOA wording may not be affected.
The two sisters that copied their State Farm files (and files of others) and departed with them to the employment of Mr. Scruggs have been ordered to return all copies, on state and federal lawmakers may see and or use the files. I suspect hteir problems are just beginiing, it is hard to call yourself a whisle blower when you are are working for a plantiffs lawyer.
Also more companies are starting to sell flood covered above the NFIP limits of $250,000 ($600,000 commerical).
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Yep, what the two sisters did was illegal but the morals of all that were okay by me.

The insurance industry is just about dried up. Maybe it is time to find another job. :lol:
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 pm

The insurance companies should be brought under the anti-trust laws and be regulated by Congress under the interstate commerce act. The insurance companies are making billions of dollars, are allowed to set up subsidiaries to shelter the parent company and make their own rules, enforce them and allowed to be the judge on what if anything qualifies as a loss, and if it is covered you get what the insurance company thinks it is worth, minus of course depreciation. What a crock. Funny but we are in the wind-pool and the adjuster determined that we had no wind damage that exceeded our deductible despite being two blocks off the GOM. Gee, those cracks in the brick walls were not there before Katrina but the adjuster said our slab is sinking....NOT. We had no water from the Hurricane other than the rain blown through the windows. It is nothing more than legalized theft. BTW Linda, what insurance company do you work for? .....MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:04 am

I was talking to stormcrow. He/she is an adjuster. I have been out of the insurance business for a while now.

Legalized theft is correct. Well said MGC, well said!
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MSRobi911 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:07 am

[quote="stormcrow"]A tornado is a wind event, while a hurricane can not only be a wind event but a flood event. quote]

I don't understand your statement stormcrow. What would be the difference in wind damage whether it was from a tornado or a hurricane, its still wind damage. I am not talking about flood insurance, I understand that part of a hurricane. I am talking strictly WIND DAMAGE from any nature of things.

Mary
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby MSRobi911 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:20 am

I agree MGC 100%. Insurance companies in general suck eggs. I am in the medical end of insurance, working for physicians, and the hoops you have to jump through to get something paid is totally insane. And that is after sending in the claim electronically and having a record of it being received and they deny it for "No claim on file". We always say they put every other claim in File 13, if you get my drift!

Mary

PS Linda - you know that on all the NEW policies and at renewal of your current policy if you live in the 6 coastal counties of MS (when did we get 6 coastal counties? I always thought we just had 3 on the coast) you have to go into the windpool, no ifs, ands or buts about it with many different companies. So far Nationwide hasn't done that, that I have head of, so we are waiting to see what happens when our policy is up for renewal in May/June to decide on what we do on Washington. A person I know that lives on Clairmont, which is above Ingall's Ave just had to go into the windpool because his policy was up for renewal, I think he said it cost him 1,200.00 a year! I don't know if it was on here or somewhere else that it cost approximately 1,200.00 per 100,000 of coverage. His home is no where near 100,000. I may have that dollar amount wrong per 100,000, I can't exactly remember.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:42 am

My Dad told me that it was everyone south of Ingalls Ave. They come up for renewal in January and I sure hope they do not have to go into the wind pool. They are in the same neighborhood as Clairmont, but closer to Ingalls Ave.

I have not heard anything about my insurance company (MetLife). But, Linda Krebs let something slip the other day when I was in the office. Guess I will have to wait and see in April when mine renews.

I always thought there were 3 coastal counties. I guess since Katrina they added Pearl River County. Not sure on the other two.

Isn't the Pass and Bay St. Louis considered Hancock County?
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MGC » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:15 pm

The Pass is in Harrison County, the Bay in Hancock.....MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:32 pm

Ah okay. :cheesy:
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:42 am

That guy had State Farm....oh well.

The "new" SIX coastal counties, roflmao, are Jackson, Harrison, Hancock, Pearl River, Stone and George! Ain't that a hoot!

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:22 am

MSRobi911 wrote:That guy had State Farm....oh well.

The "new" SIX coastal counties, roflmao, are Jackson, Harrison, Hancock, Pearl River, Stone and George! Ain't that a hoot!

Mary

So do my parents! :eek:
0 likes   

f5
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby f5 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:27 pm

George county how about Camille county or Katrina county or surge county?
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Hurricane Georges had an "s" on the end. George county was already named. I don't know anybody that would want to live in Camille County or Katrina County!

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:38 am

George and Georges are two totally pronounced differently. Georges is French.

If they renamed Jackson County to Katrina County, I'd move.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Lindaloo wrote:George and Georges are two totally pronounced differently. Georges is French.

If they renamed Jackson County to Katrina County, I'd move.

Amen Linda! I would be right with you.

Mary
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#18 Postby Derek Ortt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:46 pm

only coastal counties?

That may be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard!

A hurricane's winds do not stop at the coastline!!! If that was the case, Wilma would not have done about 18 billion of the 20.6 billion in damage that it caused since it hit in mainland MONROE before moving into Dade and Broward. Also, Hattiesberg (100 MILES INLAND) HAD EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

Who ever came up with that idea should be tarred and feathered
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby timNms » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:only coastal counties?

That may be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard!

A hurricane's winds do not stop at the coastline!!! If that was the case, Wilma would not have done about 18 billion of the 20.6 billion in damage that it caused since it hit in mainland MONROE before moving into Dade and Broward. Also, Hattiesberg (100 MILES INLAND) HAD EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

Who ever came up with that idea should be tarred and feathered

You are correct. Hattiesburg, MS (80+ miles north of Gulfport) had extensive damage from Hurricane Katrina. Seminary, MS, which is 18 miles north of Hattiesburg, also had extensive damage from Katrina.

Might be a good idea to include inland areas in the windpool.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 am

I agree with you 100% Derek......and if you look at a map, Mississippi only has three counties on the coast....I am still trying to figure that one out!

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”