President Bush to visit south Mississippi Thursday

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

President Bush to visit south Mississippi Thursday

#1 Postby MGC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm

according to the Sunherald. No word yet on the Presidents schedule. Hope he brings some money to rebuild down here.......MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 pm

He has sent plenty of money to help with the rebuilding.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MGC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Sure don't look like it to me. Have you been to Pass Christian or Waveland as of late? It is still a wreck over here. Pass Christian has one gas station and two dollar stores open......MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 pm

MGC wrote:Sure don't look like it to me. Have you been to Pass Christian or Waveland as of late? It is still a wreck over here. Pass Christian has one gas station and two dollar stores open......MGC

Matter of fact I was there last night. Sounds to me like your local government needs to get involved. We had no gas stations open south of 90. Now all of them are back open. You are blaming that on the President? The funds are available.

I feel really terrible for the Pass. But, after reading this article it further proves that it is your local governments fault. We all have to build to code and residents there should not be any different than the rest of us.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateoco ... ci_4236026
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:41 pm

Pass Christian Embraces SmartCode
December 22, 2005 -- The Congress for the New Urbanism reported the following in its December e-Update:

The City of Pass Christian this week embraced a key recommendation that came out of the Mississippi Renewal Forum charrettes. The city's Board of Alderman unanimously approved a proposal for Fisher and Hall Urban Design to prepare a final SmartCode for the city, taking a crucial step toward implementing the vision for rebuilding that the community has shared with planners over the past couple months.

Laura Hall and her team have visited Pass Christian twice since the October charrette for a series of public meetings. They found that members of the community welcomed the idea of implementing a SmartCode to direct the rebuilding effort and preserve the character of their city. Residents who were concerned about developers building large structures that don't "fit in" were relieved to find a solution that would keep new buildings in scale with their surroundings and encourage a more intimate, walkable downtown. The SmartCode is a form-based code that implements the principles of the New Urbanism based on the scales of the Transect.

As Pass Christian moves forward with their rebuilding efforts, they set an example for other cities on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. They are demonstrating their resolve to keep up the momentum and take active steps toward reviving their damaged city.

http://www.mississippirenewal.com/info/ ... 19-05.html
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:45 pm

0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MGC » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:32 pm

Linda, the money is available provided matching funds are too. That is the problem, Pass Christian has no matching funds, hence the Feds are holding onto the money. The Pass has little in the way of revenue. The police dept is using cars donated by other police forces, some far away. The cars are the clunkers that should have been retired years ago. The sewage system is currently operating using temporary above ground plastic pipes. The line running in front of my house has a leak and spews sewage like a gyser at times. I've called the city to fix it but they say there is no money. The mayor lives across the street from my husband's sister and according to the mayor Pass Christian is so broke it can't afford to buy paper clips. Things are quite dire over here and not much is getting done. The roads are full of holes, the sewage and water systems are in bad shape and there is still a good bit of debris to get cleaned up. BTW, I was over in Pascagoula on Feb 10th and the recovery there is light years ahead of the Pass.......MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Why is the pass broke? Pascagoula has secured much needed federal money in the way of grants. Why can't the Pass do this? Ask the Mayor why he has not tried to secure grants.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby MGC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:06 am

The grants the city has received to my knowledge were used for city emplyee payroll and day to day operating expences. The links you posted did indicate that some grants were applied for but I don't know if the city got them. As far as I know, the Pass is the worst off city along the gulf coast. Both Waveland and the Bay have a thriving HWY 90 corridor which has rebounded very well. Wal Mart has announced it will be returning to the Pass but the lot the former store was located on is deserted and fenced in.....MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:23 am

MGC wrote:The grants the city has received to my knowledge were used for city emplyee payroll and day to day operating expences. The links you posted did indicate that some grants were applied for but I don't know if the city got them. As far as I know, the Pass is the worst off city along the gulf coast. Both Waveland and the Bay have a thriving HWY 90 corridor which has rebounded very well. Wal Mart has announced it will be returning to the Pass but the lot the former store was located on is deserted and fenced in.....MGC

I tell you what, why did federal grant money go for city payroll? That right there tells me something is not right and I would want answers! That is a shame that you are still having to live like that almost two years later. Demand some answers. If you need my support I will be there in a flash.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby MGC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:02 am

Why? How would Pascagoula fare with no income from sales tax? 80% of the homes and buildings destroyed, city hall destroyed, public library destroyed and on and on. Since most of the property has been destroyed the property tax receipts have gone way down. The city IMO should disincorporate and let Harrison County take over......MGC
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 am

MGC wrote:Why? How would Pascagoula fare with no income from sales tax? 80% of the homes and buildings destroyed, city hall destroyed, public library destroyed and on and on. Since most of the property has been destroyed the property tax receipts have gone way down. The city IMO should disincorporate and let Harrison County take over......MGC

Oh okay. FWIW, Pascagoula lost its main tax base. Our city hall, police dept. library (which just re-opened) all went under. I know what you mean about them being destroyed. My property taxes did not go up this year, thank goodness.

Maybe when Bush visits, there will be an explanation.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”