Debate rages over whether Katrina is still killing

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1 Postby LSU2001 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:09 pm

03:17 PM CDT on Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mary Foster / Associated Press

The bodies are no longer being dragged from houses and buildings toppled by Hurricane Katrina, but nearly two years later many in the medical community think the storm is still killing. Storm survivors are dying from the effects of both psychological and physical stress, from the dust and mold still in dwellings to financial problems to fear of crime, health experts and officials say.

Full Story: http://tinyurl.com/2pwnc4
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#2 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:39 am

There is no question that there are mental health issues for alot of Katrina survivors. Some will even experience PTSD. I remember telling my wife that I had been in combat zones that looked better than Waveland, Mississippi. Anxiety and exhaustion got the better of me. Then anger set in.....so I sought medical attention. It's okay to say...."hey, something ain't right upstairs" and go see a professional.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MSRobi911 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:49 am

Oh LSU and Dionne....Paxil worked wonders!!!!! After you lose everything you own and have worked your life for...your entitled! But still the fight with the insurance company goes on............

Mary
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby LSU2001 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 am

Can't take anti-depressants MSRobi, I tried to after Katrina and they actually increased my depression. I could not clear my head of suicidal thoughts so I went back to the doc and he took me off them. So no chemical relief for me.

However, hard work and faith has gotten me back to normal.
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:54 pm

It took me about a week before I had a good cry after Katrina......MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”