Collapse of Bay St. Louis Bridge Column?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Collapse of Bay St. Louis Bridge Column?

#1 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:51 am

What's this I'm hearing from my mother in Gautier about part of the newly-opened Bay St. Louis bridge collapsing? She said something about a column they were pouring that collapsed and fell, killing a number of workers and damaging the bridge? I found a story on wlox.com:

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=6665747

It's hard to tell if the column collapse has closed the bridge or whether it was well away from the open lanes.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#2 Postby pojo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:59 pm

It is the column of the New Westbound bridge that will open sometime in the near future...

Currently the Bay STL Bridge is only 2 lanes and IS 35mph... I'm not in Biloxi this weekend to tell you if the Bridge is open or not.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MGC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:21 pm

I went across the bridge this afternoon. Work has stopped on the section that fell. God bless the killed workers.....MGC
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Collapse of Bay St. Louis Bridge Column?

#4 Postby Dionne » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:18 pm

I've been out of town and missed this news. What a bummer! And Katrina just keeps killing.

I worked on a bridge crew when I first arrived here in Mississippi in '95. It is dangerous work. The forms have to be just right. The slump on the concrete must be high. And alot of time your pouring on top of a cold joint less than 72 hours old.

My condolences to those killed and injured.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”