Has anyone gone through mediation with State Farm?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

Has anyone gone through mediation with State Farm?

#1 Postby Jagno » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:53 pm

For the life of me I cannot figure out why State Farm wants to challenge this after we've proven conclusively that they made a mistake. They claimed that my garage was a detached structure. They also claim that they paid us to simply replace the sheetrock. They also claimed that it was minor damage and our failure to continue to keep it tarped caused extensive damage in the last report. First of all my garage was proven beyond a doubt with pictures from their own agency that my garage was in fact "attached" to my home. Secondly, there isn't a single peice of sheetrock in that whole garage..................it's wood ceilings and walls. Lastly, we showed them the initial paperwork that deemed the garage a total loss payable to the policy limits therefore giving us justifiable reasoning for not continuing to pay someone to keep getting up there and tarping it.The last agent out here last week was given the proof and saw it for himself and simply said, "My Bad! (Yes, he actually said that.) I will give this to my supervisor and we will notify you by the 22 of additional payment." We've never heard from anyone and we are scheduled to go through mediation in 2 weeks. Why do they want to waste their policy holders money on crap that they absolutely cannot win?

Questions: Should I bring my attorney in on this prior to mediation? Never filed a claim like this so can anyone tell me what to expect. :(
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:54 pm

YES!! I won't get into my story. But find a lawyer and negotiate the fees and walk in with the lawyer.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Has anyone gone through mediation with State Farm?

#3 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:15 am

While not going through State Farm, but have Nationwide we were totally denied! Then they sent a mediation letter...............question, how can you mediate DENIED????

Mary

PS Get an attorney that will not charge you but will take a percentage of your settlement...shop around, diffent %'s.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”