Felix Aftermath

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Felix Aftermath=Breaking News=60 dead,thousands missing

#161 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:23 pm

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007/09 ... ales/58256

The link is in spanish but I can say to all that the dead count continues to rise dramaticly.Now 100 is the new number.It is feared that hundreds,maybe thousands are missing.Those are indigens that were in tribus in the coast of Nicaragua.Still no word about those who were in the four vessels.

0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Felix Aftermath=Breaking News=100 dead,thousands missing

#162 Postby srainhoutx » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:37 pm

My prayers are for those affected. I have felt that it would take days to know the true effects of Hurricane Felix.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#163 Postby fasterdisaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

My goodness!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Felix Aftermath=Breaking News=100 dead,thousands missing

#164 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:49 pm

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007/09 ... ales/58255

Well,at least some piece of good news.One of the four vessels missing was found with 52 people ALIVE!!.

Photo of sailors that were rescued.
0 likes   

rockyman
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby rockyman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:07 pm

CNN is now running this as the headline story on CNN.com...reporting thousands missing
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#166 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:17 pm

rockyman wrote:CNN is now running this as the headline story on CNN.com...reporting thousands missing

I prefer to be more conservative in terms of the numbers,as information comes in from many sources.As we know the media trends to hype things and first reports later dont result the same.So for now I will leave the title with hundreds are missing until more definite information becomes available.What I know is that around 11,000 indigens did not evacuate.So that may be the cause that this Media outlet says thousands are missing.However,its better to wait for more concrete information to see if in reallity those 11,000 are missing or the majority were found.I want to see information one way or another about the fate of those.
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby HarlequinBoy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:01 pm

Oh gosh, I hope it doesn't go much higher. *fingercross*

The missing numbers are quite high, but I'm not putting a lot of stock in those atm.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#168 Postby fasterdisaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:01 pm

cycloneye wrote:
rockyman wrote:CNN is now running this as the headline story on CNN.com...reporting thousands missing

I prefer to be more conservative in terms of the numbers,as information comes in from many sources.As we know the media trends to hype things and first reports later dont result the same.So for now I will leave the title with hundreds are missing until more definite information becomes available.What I know is that around 11,000 indigens did not evacuate.So that may be the cause that this Media outlet says thousands are missing.However,its better to wait for more concrete information to see if in reallity those 11,000 are missing or the majority were found.I want to see information one way or another about the fate of those.

I know that more than 11,000 people did not evacuate. At the very least it was 27,000, and that is just in the Puerto Cabezas province, and that's not even starting with Honduras and Guatemala and Mexico, among other countries under at least a foot of water.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#169 Postby fasterdisaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:11 pm

fasterdisaster wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

I know that more than 11,000 people did not evacuate. At the very least it was 27,000, and that is just in the Puerto Cabezas province, and that's not even starting with Honduras and Guatemala and Mexico, among other countries under at least a foot of water.

Oops, just realized you were just talking about Miskito Indians only, yes you're right, those are 11,000, and possibly up to 50,000 Nicaraguans didn't evacuate as a whole country.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#170 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 pm

and we do not have much word from the interior, where the mudslides likely occurred
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#171 Postby fasterdisaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:and we do not have much word from the interior, where the mudslides likely occurred

Indeed, could be Stan-like damage unless we're lucky.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Felix Aftermath=100 dead-Hundreds are missing

#172 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:44 pm

:uarrow: Or a Mitch like? Oh lord no,If they confirm that those thousands of indians are dead,then the numbers may jump close to what Mitch killed.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#173 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:45 pm

would not be at all surprised (about the lack of news regarding damage to the interior)

usually, no reports mean the worst... just like south Dade after Andrew

I expect the death toll to rise dramatically in the coming days

and Wiki is woefully slow with the updating... they were much faster with Katrina and even Gonu

The coastal deaths should serve as another reminder to EVACUATE WHEN ORDERED
0 likes   

Zardoz
Category 1
Category 1

#174 Postby Zardoz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Heartbreaking story:

Nicaragua rescuers pull survivors from sea, try to reach isolated areas

The ocean was filled with debris, preventing a rescue mission from coming ashore in Sandy Bay, where the eye of Felix made landfall Tuesday with catastrophic 160 mph winds and a storm surge estimated at 18 feet above normal tides.

About 150,000 Miskitos — descendants of Indians, European settlers and African slaves — live on island reefs and small jungle hamlets along the Honduran-Nicaraguan border.

Nearly 30,000 people were evacuated in Honduras, with nearly 10,000 seeking refuge in government shelters. The storm developed quickly and Nicaragua posted a hurricane warning less than 24 hours before the storm hit the coast.

Shameful.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#175 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:04 pm

the forecasts did not have hurricane force winds striking Nicaragua, at least the NHC advisories

I do not even think I recommended a warning more than 24 hours before landfall... I think my recommendation came 22 hours before landfall. The track south of the projections brought it to the coast earlier, still no excuse whatsoever

However, this wa still better than the last cat 5 to strike the USA coastline in terms of lead time
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby fasterdisaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:20 pm

I didn't want to say Mitch-like, just because of how once in a lifetime that storm was, but unfortunately, anything's possible. I do doubt it though, thankfully.

I agree with you Derek and Zardoz, I've been reading articles that interview the NHC talking about how surprised they were at their lackluster forecasting. I'm certainly not blaming them though, hardly any, if any at all, people saw this coming.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby HurricaneBill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Zardoz wrote:Heartbreaking story:

Nicaragua rescuers pull survivors from sea, try to reach isolated areas

The ocean was filled with debris, preventing a rescue mission from coming ashore in Sandy Bay, where the eye of Felix made landfall Tuesday with catastrophic 160 mph winds and a storm surge estimated at 18 feet above normal tides.

About 150,000 Miskitos — descendants of Indians, European settlers and African slaves — live on island reefs and small jungle hamlets along the Honduran-Nicaraguan border.

Nearly 30,000 people were evacuated in Honduras, with nearly 10,000 seeking refuge in government shelters. The storm developed quickly and Nicaragua posted a hurricane warning less than 24 hours before the storm hit the coast.

Shameful.

That sounds like many were swept out to sea by the surge. :eek:
0 likes   

Coredesat

Re:

#178 Postby Coredesat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:33 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:and Wiki is woefully slow with the updating... they were much faster with Katrina and even Gonu

Wiki is slow because the reports have been coming in too quickly for the editors to keep up. That, and it's not supposed to be a news source to begin with.

Derek Ortt wrote:The coastal deaths should serve as another reminder to EVACUATE WHEN ORDERED

Quoted for emphasis.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby wxmann_91 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Damage in Sandy Bay, one of the towns north of Puerto Cabezas:

Source: http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/ ... tion=world
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#180 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:49 pm

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007/09 ... ales/58253

The description in that report at link is of a acuatic cemetary.The situation in Sandy Bay is very grave according to authorities.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”