TC SIDR Aftermath : Photos,Videos and News

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Coredesat

#121 Postby Coredesat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:42 pm

I smell a typo in that article. 4 feet is ludicrous, but I would imagine 40 feet isn't too far off.
0 likes   

Derecho
Category 5
Category 5

Re: TC SIDR Aftermath : Photos,Videos and News

#122 Postby Derecho » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:03 pm

I think it was simple substitution of feet for meters.
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#123 Postby Squarethecircle » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Coredesat wrote:I smell a typo in that article. 4 feet is ludicrous, but I would imagine 40 feet isn't too far off.

They wouldn't have made it twice. I'd guess about ten to fifteen feet above the official storm surge (which would be 25-30 feet). And there is a good point about the deaths so far; they haven't even gotten to the part that was ravaged by the storm. I'd guess that the minimum amount of deaths would be around 7,500 (best case scenario), maximum being about 150,000.
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby Squarethecircle » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Derecho wrote:I think it was simple substitution of feet for meters.

12 feet sounds pretty unlikely as well.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#125 Postby Derek Ortt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:48 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 891064.ece

Bangladesh government expects the death toll to rise to about 8,000 in the coming days
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#126 Postby cycloneye » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:04 am

Death toll reaches 10,000.

http://www.bangladesh-web.com/
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Squarethecircle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 am

cycloneye wrote:Death toll reaches 10,000.

http://www.bangladesh-web.com/

Screw it man, we're in for a ride, and it's gonna be hell.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Chacor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:44 am

Over-exaggeration. Click the news story:

The confirmed total death toll in the affected areas, where the super severe cyclone Sidr had hit, rose to 3,018 while 12,500 persons were injured and 57 others remained missing till 11:30pm yesterday.(New NationBD)

However, unoffical sources claimed the death figures would be even higher and may reach 10,000 and the number of injured thrice the death figure, according to the dispatches sent yesterday by reporters from the devastated areas.

3,018 is NOT 10,000. Unofficial sources are usually unreliable.
0 likes   

Derecho
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#129 Postby Derecho » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:59 am

Chacor wrote:Over-exaggeration. Click the news story:

3,018 is NOT 10,000. Unofficial sources are usually unreliable.

Depends on the nature of the "officials".

The "official" death tolls from the tsunami were insanely low for 2-3 days after the event, and actually the media didn't report the true higher numbers quickly because they didn't want to be seen as over-exaggerating.

There are now "there are bodies floating around everywhere" stories appearing. I suspect the 10,000 may end up low.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby Chacor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:09 am

Bangladesh has always been preparing for the next big one, which has turned out to be Sidr. I have full confidence the death toll will not exceed four digits.
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#131 Postby Squarethecircle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:24 am

Chacor wrote:Bangladesh has always been preparing for the next big one, which has turned out to be Sidr. I have full confidence the death toll will not exceed four digits.

It has.
0 likes   

HurricaneRobert
Category 3
Category 3

#132 Postby HurricaneRobert » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:29 am

With small, unmaintained concrete shelters?
0 likes   

Derecho
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#133 Postby Derecho » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:32 am

Chacor wrote:Bangladesh has always been preparing for the next big one, which has turned out to be Sidr. I have full confidence the death toll will not exceed four digits.

And it's still...Bangladesh.

Stench of Death Hangs over Bangladesh Village
http://www.reuters.com/article/mapNews/idUSDHA2345820071118
0 likes   

btangy
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#134 Postby btangy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Red Crescent says 5,000-10,000 killed in cyclone

DHAKA - Up to 5,000 to 10,000 people are believed to have died in the cyclone that ripped through southern Bangladesh, the head of the country’s Red Crescent told AFP Sunday.

‘The death toll has already reached 3,000 confirmed dead,’ said M. Abdur Rab, chairman of the Bangladeshi Red Crescent Society, the country’s largest humanitarian organisation.

‘It may cross 5,000, but it will remain below 10,000,’ he added.

Officials have stressed that many more victims are expected to be found in remote areas still to be reached by the army and relief workers.

Millions of people have been left homeless, hungry and without medical help, aid workers have said.

Cyclone Sidr, the worst storm to hit the impoverished and low-lying country in years, smashed into Bangladesh’s southern coast on Thursday evening, bringing a huge tidal wave, extreme winds and torrential rains.
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby Squarethecircle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:30 pm

btangy wrote:
Red Crescent says 5,000-10,000 killed in cyclone

DHAKA - Up to 5,000 to 10,000 people are believed to have died in the cyclone that ripped through southern Bangladesh, the head of the country’s Red Crescent told AFP Sunday.

‘The death toll has already reached 3,000 confirmed dead,’ said M. Abdur Rab, chairman of the Bangladeshi Red Crescent Society, the country’s largest humanitarian organisation.

‘It may cross 5,000, but it will remain below 10,000,’ he added.

Officials have stressed that many more victims are expected to be found in remote areas still to be reached by the army and relief workers.

Millions of people have been left homeless, hungry and without medical help, aid workers have said.

Cyclone Sidr, the worst storm to hit the impoverished and low-lying country in years, smashed into Bangladesh’s southern coast on Thursday evening, bringing a huge tidal wave, extreme winds and torrential rains.

A huge load of bull. I wouldn't be surprised to see the toll beyond 20,000.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#136 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:27 pm

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.as ... ueID=30244

this article is now saying 10,000 dead, not 10,000 projected dead. Would like some confirmation on this. Number is expected to rise further
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#137 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 896297.ece

army has confirmed 3113 deaths so far; however, there are many bodies floating in rivers and rice patties. Nothing yet from the offshore islands, which is leading me to fear the worst from there
0 likes   

simpleman
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#138 Postby simpleman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:45 pm

i am from bangladesh , and i neither belong to government or press . few facts will help u all understand why the death toll is low than u worried . first of all not the shelters only but early warning and effective assitance to evacuate helped .the shelters ,it is true not well maintained but are based on strong foundation and are 15 feet high above ground level ,and are used as school during normal time .
about death toll yes it may rise . the only worry is about around 15000 fisherman and forest rangers who were in sundarbans during the storm . they are yet unaccounted for . otherwise from everywhere the tolls are quite correct and finalized . i agree to the point that it takes long time to assess the damage. it true . but for bangladesh the social system has a major role . i myself have left people from my office to go and meet their family . many people heve gone back to their villages after the storm . thay dont have enough money or belongings to bring in a material differnece. but they have the care and love . and they will ride ,walk and sail if need be . and in villages you will see that each village is basically habitated by extended family . so anyone lost is accounted for immediately . here in bangladesh family is not of one ,two or three .it is of 50 and more.father ,mother ,uncle ,aunt ,cousins, grand parents and so forth . so only a single person in a village can account for the whole village .also we have something called a thana/upazila the lowest level in government administration which are actually not more than 10 sq miles in average . there they have small hospitals,and wireless communication . being a small country does have some administrative benefits .and luckily the present government is headed by a very honest ,hardworking person who has a PHD and worked in World Bank , and was a teacher in Dhaka university an economist . so things are little different in govt level also . and believe me this nation is resolute . faith alone has carried this nation so far and it will .already electricy andphone connections are up and running by 90% . rest will be done soon .i write all this reading a couple of newspapers and myself being in constant touch with many people all along the areas devastated . i myself was left without electricity for two days along with my kids one of them only 10 months . it took all of us not more than 10 minutes to accept the fact and adapt as such . anyway pray for all of us . cause each death is a tragedy in so many ways in a coutnry like ours , it will be hard for you to comprehend . here families revolve around one ,so when that one is gone its something else . good thing about the developed worlds is that you become self sustaining early on .i have come across people working as day laborers , with no savings and anything , if asked what if he doesnt get any work tomorrow , smilingly answers god will carry forth . it takes many things to undestand this faith and convistion .stay well all of you and may God bless.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#139 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:56 pm

are the people on the offshore islands also accounted for? The news reports have not really discussed this area yet. If so, this is wonderful news that the death toll is much lower than we all feared (though 3,000+ is still quite high)
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 am

I hope 10,000 dead is wrong.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”