Great Newsletter...Want to Expand a Little

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Great Newsletter...Want to Expand a Little

#1 Postby southerngale » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:56 pm

Great job, as always, on the newsletter!!! I would like to expand a little on one thing though. In it, it says:
The last full fledged hurricane to make landfall on the United States coastline during June was hurricane Bonnie....a weak category one hurricane that struck the upper Texas Coast near High Island in 1986.

Actually, it hit about 70-75 miles east of High Island in Sabine Pass. (then Pt. Arthur & Beaumont). Yes, that is still near High Island, but since the eye went right over my house, I wanted to point out exactly where Bonnie made landfall. At the time, I lived about 10 miles west of Beaumont. She was only an 85 mph hurricane but she sure caused a lot of damage here. We didn't have electricity for what seemed like forever! Actually, I think it was only about a week or so. I don't remember exactly....I was still a kid then. Anyway, no biggie but since that was my only hurricane experience, I thought I'd point that out. I've been through tropical storms too....most notably Allison!!

Thanks to all of you for your hard work on the newsletter. Once again, it was very informative and entertaining - a terrific job!! :D
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

JetMaxx

#2 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:23 pm

I wrote that particular article for the June newsletter, and checked my facts beforehand....just to make certain my recollection was accurate.

According the the National Hurricane Center database for 1986, Bonnie's eye crossed the Upper Texas Coast at latitude 29.6 N & longitude 94.1 W...or only 15-20 miles ENE of High Island. Here's the official "best track" data from Unisys (taken directly from the NHC database).
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.dat

I'm not sure where your figure of 70-75 miles from High Island to Sabine Pass came from. I just measured the distance on my Texas state map and it's only 32 miles as the crow flies between the two points -- and Bonnie moved inland about halfway between them....why I said "landfall near High Island".

Sincerely,
Perry
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#3 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:44 pm

I've went and checked my data for that hurricane (Bonnie); the NHC preliminary report....

While it's true the highest winds occurred near Sabine Pass and Port Arthur, they were on the right side of the hurricane and experienced the eastern eyewall. The peak gust measured on land was 98 mph (85 kts) at Sea Rim State Park...along the open coast a few miles WSE of Sabine Pass....in the northeast eyewall.

HOWEVER, the center of the well defined eye crossed the coast west of both Sabine Pass and Sea Rim S.P. -- about halfway between the towns of Sabine Pass and High Island....about 15 miles from each location.

Here's the NHC hurricane track map of Bonnie. Please note the eye crossed the coast BETWEEN the Texas/ Louisiana border and Galveston Bay or near High Island.
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif

Yours Truly,
Perry
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby southerngale » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:48 am

Perry,

I'm sorry. I never said the article was wrong. I even said it was near High Island. I was just trying to elaborate a little more on exactly where it hit since I went through that hurricane. What you said was perfectly fine, I was just taking the opportunity to give a little more information, not dispute what you had already said. I got the distance from Yahoo Maps. Their exact distance was 72 miles but when I made my post I didn't remember the exact distance so I just said 70-75. That seemed a little off to me but it was late and I was exhausted and it didn't even occur to me that that was the driving distance!! :roll: I'm certain you're figure is more accurate.

I did not know the coordinates of exactly where the eye made landfall. Everything I've read and everybody has always said it made landfall at either Sabine Pass or sometimes Pt. Arthur (or just upper Texas coast) and when you look at the track, that's what it looks like. And since I live in Beaumont, very close to both Pt. Arthur and Sabine Pass, and the eye went right over my house (I lived 10 miles west of Beaumont then) and really not very close to High Island, I was just trying to share a little information too. I'm very sorry if you thought I was stepping on your toes...I certainly wasn't trying to!! I was in no way implying that what you said was inaccurate...I was just expanding a little...taking an opportunity to say something about the ONE hurricane I've actually been through. :wink:

Here's a pic of Bonnie making landfall.

Hurricane Bonnie - 1986

This visible satellite photo of Hurricane Bonnie was taken six hours after the storm made landfall on the upper Texas coast in the vicinity of Port Arthur. June 26, 1986

A little more interesting info just for beans.
June 26th, 1986: Bonnie made landfall along the upper coast on the 26th. Jefferson County airport gusted to 75 m.p.h. while Sabine Pass reported gusts to 97 m.p.h. at the Coast Guard station near Sea Rim State Park. The high winds broke out many windows, and downed countless trees, signs, fences, and tree limbs. Fallen trees damaged several homes. High winds ripped the roofs off of numerous homes and businesses. Many schools in the area suffered roof and wind damage. The high winds tilted over tractor-trailer rigs and flipped over smaller vehicles. Several aircraft were damaged at local airports. Power was out in most of the area as many utility poles were downed or leaning so that electrical lines were not functional. In Beaumont, high winds blew over the radio tower at the Texas Dept. Of Public Safety building. Highway 87 was closed due to fallen power poles early on the 26th. Several aircraft were damaged at area airports. Winds in Sam Rayburn reservoir caused $1 million in damage to boats and marinas.

Approximately 1,300 people were forced from their home from flooding that was produced by the torrential rains that accompanied Bonnie. The rains were the heaviest from the Beaumont area northwest to Lake Livingston.

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:33 am

Great image of Bonnie Kelly, thanks.
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#6 Postby JetMaxx » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:48 pm

No problem Kelly....I just didn't want readers of the June newsletter to think I'd mislead them or provided false information.

May God bless,
Perry
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby southerngale » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:57 pm

Again, I apologize. I thought I was clear in my original post that I was just expanding a little and not disputing what you had said. I am certain that NOBODY thought you were misleading them or providing false information. ;)
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby wx247 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:26 pm

I found your info. in the June newsletter very informative Perry and I feel that Kelly's info. complemented it nicely. Both were interesting. :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JetMaxx

#9 Postby JetMaxx » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:58 pm

Thanks Garrett! :) I thought the entire June newsletter was awesome!!

I sent it to several of my family and friends...in an attempt to convince them to join Storm2k; allow the newsletter to show them what I've been saying...how nice it is here, and how friendly everyone is. :)

May God Bless,
Perry
0 likes   

Rainband

#10 Postby Rainband » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:17 pm

I never got the newsletter link emailed to me!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :cry:
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#11 Postby JetMaxx » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:41 pm

I'm sorry Johnathan....here's the link I was sent..

http://storm2k.org/newsletter/June2003-pg1.htm
0 likes   

Rainband

#12 Postby Rainband » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:49 am

Thanks perry.GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”