Storm2k update & major fundraising info - All, please read!

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Storm2k update & major fundraising info - All, please read!

#1 Postby southerngale » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Storm2k is kicking off a very important fundraiser and we need your support!!

Most of you are aware that Storm2k was down for over 3 days last week. I believe the best way to handle this is to be honest with you all. We had run out of funds and were actually past due for several months. Marshall (mf_dolphin) had been making the payments from the donations made to our PayPal account. Neither David nor I had access to the account and we didn't know where we stood on donations. We knew we were low, but we didn't realize we were completely out of funds and actually so far behind in payments. We had held off on campaigning for funds because we haven't been able to reach Marshall lately and we had already planned on starting a new PayPal account, one where we both had access and could keep up with the balance. We have tried for months to reach him to get his cooperation to continue to run the site and make some necessary upgrades. We've tried through texts, emails, phone calls, Storm2k PMs, and Facebook messages, which we know he saw, all to no avail. We know he is ok, so the lack of response is deliberate. It has been both frustrating and disappointing as Storm2k apparently isn't a priority for him anymore. But rest assured... Marshall may have abandoned us, but Storm2k is a huge priority for both David and I and we couldn't be more excited about the future of Storm2k!

We are working towards a NEW, BIGGER AND BETTER STORM2K in the near future!

We have a new PayPal account that can be monitored by me and vbhoutex. We will not be left in the dark anymore. We will do everything in our power to avoid another shutdown.

We know that this time of the year is particularly tough due to the upcoming holidays, but anything that you can give will be greatly appreciated. We are basically starting from scratch and we need a lot of donations. No matter how big or small, they all add up and help Storm2k. We plan on providing periodic updates as to what our balance is and how far that will last us. Our monthly server costs are $219 and another $39 for Ham Weather, bringing our annual costs to $3096.

Thank you for your generous help and support of Storm2k over the years - a weather website that all of you have helped to create and grow!

PayPal is the preferred method for donations as it goes directly into our Storm2k PayPal account. If you need to send a check instead, please PM me or vbhoutex for an address.

The email address at the top of the PayPal page should match this: storm2kdkj@gmail.com
Do not use the Donation button on the homepage (http://www.storm2k.org/wx/) for the time being. We will not get it. The links on the forum and in my signature are good. When you see the email address above, you know it's correct.

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Donation made. I actually set up a monthly recurring donation. If y'all can, donate $5, 10, 20+ per month.
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby StormingB81 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 pm

I will as soon as I get done relocating. Will be moving down to Florida at the end of the month but once I get settled and finances settled I will hit it up.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Storm2k update & major fundraising info - All, please read!

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 pm

THANKS CAJUNMAMA!! YOU ROCK!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby RL3AO » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Donated $20. Doing what I can for someone whose about to move off to school.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm

EVERY donation counts, no matter how big or how small. Thanks RL3AO!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:00 am

Two thoughts:

Post something regarding the actual costs involved in the hosting and the monthly bandwidth used. (Look at other Hosting provider and their costs?)

Remove/Edit the previous Donation link on the Homepage.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:Two thoughts:

Post something regarding the actual costs involved in the hosting and the monthly bandwidth used. (Look at other Hosting provider and their costs?)

Remove/Edit the previous Donation link on the Homepage.

Posted elsewhere also, but I will answer here, our actual costs are $219.00/month for the dedicated server plus payments to Hamweather and maybe others that we have not been able to determine yet for their information on the homepage. As best we can determine our costs are approximately $3,000.00 per year. As we determine more we will update.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby tolakram » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:49 am

Donation made.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Without going overboard and annoying/alienating members, have you given any though to a few limited, targeted ads dealing directly with weather related products and services?
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:Without going overboard and annoying/alienating members, have you given any though to a few limited, targeted ads dealing directly with weather related products and services?

That is not currently under consideration. IF and I do me IF we ever have ads on this site it most definitely would be those only related to weather products and/or services.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby CajunMama » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello? Hello? Any donators out there? :D
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 pm

I donated a little something.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Stephanie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 pm

AnnularCane wrote:I donated a little something.

Thank You! :D
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks AC!! Every "little something" counts and makes it easier to pay our bills.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

GaryHughes
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby GaryHughes » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:28 pm

:cold: test
0 likes   
The above post and any post by GaryHughes is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby wx247 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I made a donation. :) I look forward to enjoying Storm2K for many years to come!!! :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#18 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks wx247!!! We look forward to your contributions too.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

MattG
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#19 Postby MattG » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm a lurker but one who appreciates the conversation here. I made a small donation.

Matt
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#20 Postby southerngale » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Thank you so much, Matt! Every donation adds up and is very much appreciated. :)
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”