Advertisements on STORM2K

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Advertisements on STORM2K

#21 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm

I am getting full-page popups on my phone. I was hoping I was just accidentally touching the other ads but there were a couple of times these last two days where I know I didn't, but an ad popped up.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#22 Postby tolakram » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am

AnnularCane wrote:I am getting full-page popups on my phone. I was hoping I was just accidentally touching the other ads but there were a couple of times these last two days where I know I didn't, but an ad popped up.

Are you using tapatalk?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 am

tolakram wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:I am getting full-page popups on my phone. I was hoping I was just accidentally touching the other ads but there were a couple of times these last two days where I know I didn't, but an ad popped up.

Are you using tapatalk?

No
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby tolakram » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 am

AnnularCane wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Are you using tapatalk?

No

Ok, sending it on to our provider. What was the popup about, do you remember the ad? In addition, do you have any software installed on your phone to protect you or report malware? Both Android and IoS are vulnerable to this.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 am

tolakram wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
tolakram wrote:
Are you using tapatalk?

No

Ok, sending it on to our provider. What was the popup about, do you remember the ad? In addition, do you have any software installed on your phone to protect you or report malware? Both Android and IoS are vulnerable to this.

Not that I know of. And they're different ads, not just one.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby tolakram » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
tolakram wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:

No

Not that I know of. And they're different ads, not just one.

So we use the google ad service and they do not allow popups on any platform. This is why we need to know the ad, so we can report it and also identify if it's even running as part of the service we use. :) Please note the ads you see and I will make sure each one is reported. So far I have no seen any popups on my iphone.

and I just got one. "Oh My Gut" is the title. Screenshotting and sending it on. It IS a google ad so sorry about this, we'll get to the bottom of it.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:02 am

I just noticed the popups are gone from the phone (thanks tolakram!).

Sometimes it takes me a little while to notice things. :oops:
1 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#28 Postby TexasBreeze » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:57 am

No more popups here either.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 am

Is anyone else getting large ads near the top of the page (regular screen, not phone)? I guess I could get used to that if I had to, but it's feeling like I have to scroll down more than I should, especially on Active Storms which has the big ad on top of the TWO page.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am

I've been getting Dallas Love Field, TX Planet Ford Ads & Travel Time RVs in Paris, TX, & I'm not living in Texas!

Can confirm that all the Ads here are Google Ads

(On a Laptop)
0 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#31 Postby Stormybajan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 am

AnnularCane wrote:Is anyone else getting large ads near the top of the page (regular screen, not phone)? I guess I could get used to that if I had to, but it's feeling like I have to scroll down more than I should, especially on Active Storms which has the big ad on top of the TWO page.

Im getting the samething...definitely larger than usual..starting from yesterday evening
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#32 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:38 pm

AnnularCane wrote:Is anyone else getting large ads near the top of the page (regular screen, not phone)? I guess I could get used to that if I had to, but it's feeling like I have to scroll down more than I should, especially on Active Storms which has the big ad on top of the TWO page.

We don't have direct control over ads, just placement, and all of them should be the same size. If possible, on PC, take a screenshot when you see it, that will help. Right now I see the 5 day outlook graphic, one post, and a small rectangular ad under it.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm

It seems to be gone now, was it fixed?
0 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#34 Postby Stormybajan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:35 pm

AnnularCane wrote:It seems to be gone now, was it fixed?

Hopefully. Was quite the annoyance over the last 2 days.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#35 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Nope, but that's the thing. We don't choose the ads, google does, we just host ad placement and have some say over broad topics (though that's been somewhat of an issue lately). We aren't ad brokers, that's what google adsense does.

There are thousands of ads, thousands of websites that use those ads, and millions of viewers who see the ads. Google adsense does all the work; It knows your viewing habits and predicts what ads to show you that you might be interested in. It grabs those ads from a pool of available ads mapped to interests. Ad buyers, those that want to shove an ad in your face, agree to pay per view or click as long as they feel like Google is showing their ads to those who are interested.

There are bad actors here and there and occasionally some bad ads will sneak in. Usually the problem takes care of itself after a day or so.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:35 pm

tolakram wrote:

Nope, but that's the thing. We don't choose the ads, google does, we just host ad placement and have some say over broad topics (though that's been somewhat of an issue lately). We aren't ad brokers, that's what google adsense does.

There are thousands of ads, thousands of websites that use those ads, and millions of viewers who see the ads. Google adsense does all the work; It knows your viewing habits and predicts what ads to show you that you might be interested in. It grabs those ads from a pool of available ads mapped to interests. Ad buyers, those that want to shove an ad in your face, agree to pay per view or click as long as they feel like Google is showing their ads to those who are interested.

There are bad actors here and there and occasionally some bad ads will sneak in. Usually the problem takes care of itself after a day or so.

Is it possible for me to screenshot them when they show up so they can be gotten rid of faster?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#37 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Is it possible for me to screenshot them when they show up so they can be gotten rid of faster?

Faster, maybe? I'd like to see screenshots from a curiosity perspective. Our provider might recognize an issue and might be able to take action (if the ad is from a particular business for example).

For just getting rid of ads you feel are inappropriate, you can click the X (example below) to tune them for you. This might be the quickest way to stop the large ads from showing up. That X and triangle show up in a random location on each ad, but hovering over the ad should display it.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:30 pm

tolakram wrote:Is this what you mean by a popup?

https://i.imgur.com/4PgAiq8.png

I am getting these on my phone again (same phone).
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#39 Postby tolakram » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:34 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
tolakram wrote:Is this what you mean by a popup?

https://i.imgur.com/4PgAiq8.png

I am getting these on my phone again (same phone).

Need a screenshot.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:52 am

There are large ads showing up in the middle of the index pages, both on my desktop and my phone. I tried posting a screenshot but it wouldn't paste.
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”