Texas gathering?

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#61 Postby Houstonia » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:08 pm

vbhoutex wrote:1
I have a Storm2k black cap I will wear. It would be great if everyone could have something Iding themselves as S2Kers. The best way to do that is to buy something from the S2K store I guess. The only other Idea I have on that is for someone to design an S2K badge/name tag(thanks for the idea and print them up for all who are attending and get them to the participants before the conference. An volunteers?

I didn't really find anything on the CafePress that I liked very much. I might buy a hat. I think the name tags would be a good idea.

It was two get-togethers in Galveston. Beautiful weather. One year we met someplace that was right on the water and the next time we met it was at that shrimp and more place in Galveston. They were great fun. Is GalvestonDuck out there? Is she going to meet up with us?
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby KatDaddy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Perhaps its time we get the media atttention for Storm2k. How difficult would it really be after last year's hurricane season?? I think its time after all these years.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby Houstonia » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:23 pm

KatDaddy wrote:Perhaps its time we get the media atttention for Storm2k. How difficult would it really be after last year's hurricane season?? I think its time after all these years.

I dunno how to do it.. fax a press release to all the tv channels and newspapers? I could probably swing a press release (I have a degree in professional writing - wrote press releases in school) or GalvestonDuck might be able to.

What do y'all think?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:56 pm

Media attention would be great! We've participated in several radio broadcasts with a Clear Channel station in Orlando the last couple of years so it's definitely possible. Anything we can do to get some visibility in the local markets only help our primary mission, helping people with awareness and preparations for the storm we all hope we don't have to deal with firsthand.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Houstonia » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 pm

mf_dolphin wrote:Media attention would be great! We've participated in several radio broadcasts with a Clear Channel station in Orlando the last couple of years so it's definitely possible. Anything we can do to get some visibility in the local markets only help our primary mission, helping people with awareness and preparations for the storm we all hope we don't have to deal with firsthand.

Okay, so I will throw together a "press release kit" and put it out for y'all's approval. :-)
0 likes   

stormie_skies
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby stormie_skies » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:45 pm

Oh my goodness - how did I miss this?!? :eek:

Y'all wouldn't mind if I tag along, would ya? :)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#67 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

stormie_skies wrote:Oh my goodness - how did I miss this?!? :eek:

Y'all wouldn't mind if I tag along, would ya? :)

Only if you be nice!!hehehe Of course you are welcome. I'll add you to the list.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#68 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:41 pm

1. vbhoutex
2. Southerngale
3. HouTXmetro
4. Rock
5. Jschlitz
6. wxman57
7. Dr. Jonah Rainwater
8. Jeff???
9. Houstonia
10. AFM
11. Portastorm
12. Stormcloud
13. TexasSpeedDiva
14. Clint TX
15. Chad?????
16. HoustonTempest
17. GarnetCat5
18. Katdaddy
19. Stormie Skies
0 likes   

Garnetcat5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#69 Postby Garnetcat5 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I'll be there!
0 likes   

ghostwolf65
Category 1
Category 1

#70 Postby ghostwolf65 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:19 pm

i know it's been a while since i posted here but i want to let folks know i will be at that hurricane workshop in houston next month (May)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#71 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:40 pm

1. vbhoutex
2. Southerngale
3. HouTXmetro
4. Rock
5. Jschlitz
6. wxman57
7. Dr. Jonah Rainwater
8. Jeff???
9. Houstonia
10. AFM
11. Portastorm
12. Stormcloud
13. TexasSpeedDiva
14. Clint TX
15. Chad?????
16. HoustonTempest
17. GarnetCat5
18. Katdaddy
19. Stormie Skies
20. Ghostwolf65
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#72 Postby wxman57 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am

4 pages of posts but I can't find where this gathering is to be held.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#73 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:56 am

wxman57 wrote:4 pages of posts but I can't find where this gathering is to be held.

We are meeting at the Hou/Gal Hurricane conference. We now need to decide where we will go for dinner or whatever we decide.

Spaghetti warehouse has been mentioned. There are also several oriental restaurants close by across the freeway from the Convention center.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#74 Postby wxman57 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 am

vbhoutex wrote:
wxman57 wrote:4 pages of posts but I can't find where this gathering is to be held.

We are meeting at the Hou/Gal Hurricane conference. We now need to decide where we will go for dinner or whatever we decide.

Spaghetti warehouse has been mentioned. There are also several oriental restaurants close by across the freeway from the Convention center.

I'll probably see everyone at the exhibit hall of the convention center, then. There will probably be only 2 private weather providers there, unless Weather Research shows up this year. I'll be in one of the two weather providers booths.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby Houstonia » Tue May 02, 2006 10:09 pm

vbhoutex wrote:

We also need to figure out what time and where we are going to meet (unless it's already been decided).

Just a note: It was ALMOST impossible to find this item. We won't get much advertising for our get-together if we are all tucked back in the corner like this. Anyway we can get into a better group? Just asking...
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby KatDaddy » Wed May 03, 2006 9:06 pm

That true Houstonia. I think all gatherings are missing out with the lower visibilty from the boards but that just my two cents.

Yes we need to make a time to meet and location....time is a ticken
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#77 Postby southerngale » Thu May 11, 2006 11:13 am

I think the conference is over about 9pm. Is that when we're planning to get together at a restaurant? If so, we probably need a place that doesn't close too early. If we're planning to try and meet before the conference, we need to decide that as well. Many will already have to get off work early since it starts at 4pm, and will need to make plans one way or the other.
If wherever we're going afterwards, we plan on being out late, I may plan to stay overnight in Houston as opposed to driving back so late. If it's more like a quick dinner, I'll probably just drive back.
Someone in the Houston area who is going FOR SURE, can you make some suggestions so we know exactly what we're planning to do? It's only a few weeks away and some of us will have to try and iron out the details to make it? :)
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby Houstonia » Thu May 11, 2006 12:16 pm

I edited this message to try to prevent it from spilling over. I don't know if the links will work as a result. you may have to just cut and paste it.

Hi everyone,

vbhoutex asked me to try to do some arranging of things for our get-together. I tell y'all - I wish it were at the end of the week instead of a Tuesday.

Here is the date/time/location:
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
George R. Brown Convention Center
1001 Avenida de las Americas
Houston, TX 77010

Here is a link to the agenda: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/wo ... enda06.htm

Here is an interactive Yahoo! map that gives locations and information about nearby restaurants:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=&addr=1001
+Avenida+De+Las+Americas&state=TX&csz=Houston%2C+TX
+77010-6032&ds=g&uzip=77010&mag=2&desc=&country=US&
dma=618&cat=dine&resize=l&trf=0&lat=29.753511&lon
=-95.357648&mlt=29.753511&mln=-95.357648&rezoom=1&.intl
=us&addrtype=9&compass=&BFKey=allres#mapcontent

The biggest problem will be in finding a place that is open late. I know of only a few places downtown that will be open on a Tuesday night and are not pricey.

Here is a Houston Chronicle search for 10.00 or less/open late night/located downtown:

http://www.chron.com/apps/dining/Rest_Search.mpl?view=
results&submit1=&submit2=2&search_name=&cuisine=&region=
Downtown&meal=5late&cost=10&x=28&y=12

My top pick is:

Market Square Bar and Grill - I think this would satisfy everyone's taste and it's centrally located in the downtown area.

If everyone is in agreement, and I can get a rough count of who's planning on joining us - I can see if they need reservations.

Any other ideas are DEFINITELY welcome!! :-)

We need to know where to meet. Here is a link to the floor plan of the George R. Brown Convention Center: http://www.houstonconventionctr.com/mee ... vel1.html#

I think we should arrange to meet outside Exhibit hall C a short time after the conclusion of the program. Perhaps we can say "15 minutes following the end of the conference". This way, if the conference ends early or late, we will be able to adjust our time accordingly.

These are obviously just my opinions - all others are welcome and appreciated!!
Last edited by Houstonia on Tue May 23, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby KatDaddy » Tue May 23, 2006 2:35 pm

The Houston-Galveston Area meeting is next. Some great photos from previous meetings.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby KatDaddy » Tue May 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Another thought is to plan another meeting during the weekend. Its tough to do this on week night. With almost a 2 year old its tough to do anything these days :)
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”