For our important members only...

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#21 Postby southerngale » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:00 pm

N/P guys...I think it was really needed. Unfortunately, either some people haven't read it or it's falling on deaf ears.

A2K...yes, you are correct in your thinking. :)
0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby cpdaman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:29 pm

so by the topic of this thread if someone is a newbie to this thread has no room for learning experiences and that they are not important, i'm not sure why u would post such a good thread with a subject stating that some members are important while other's are not, isn't that the same kind of attitude u are trying to eliminate.

And yes u are a veteran and i should not speak up , but the title just seemed unfair
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: For our important members only...

#23 Postby george_r_1961 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm

southerngale wrote:Of course that's you! ;)
Now that I have your attention, please take a moment to read this.

Ok folks, the season is here and it's time to tighten up these tropical threads. This is a message board, not a chatroom. We do have a chatroom available 24/7 for anyone interested in conversational weather chat.

The Talkin' Tropics forum is a place for sharing, discussing, and learning. Unfortunately, well thought out, informative posts can be completely buried in mere minutes beneath a mountain of posts with really no useful substance at all. Questions and comments are welcomed...that's what we're here for. This isn't a professionals only board, but in the interest of time and space, it is not necessary to post every single thought that pops in your head. That's chatroom style. Storm2k has become an important weather information source for many people. If you're at work, and you only have a few minutes to grab the latest tropical information, how frustrating it must be to plow through page after page of "I agree" "time to lock this thread" "that sounds possible" and "I already said that in another thread," etc.

"I agree" - Unless you have a weighty meteorological reputation, whether or not you agree is irrelevant to most people reading the post. What if everyone replied just to say "I agree" or "I disagree" - it would need its own forum.

"Time to lock this thread" - Please continue posting on topic until the thread is locked. How silly and wasteful to post a countdown until it's locked. It wastes valuable time and space.

"That sounds possible" - Almost anything is possible. Possibilites are limitless and universally accepted as such so it's not necessary to reply just to point this out.

"I already said/saw that in another thread" - Believe it or not, some people do not read every single post on every single page in every single thread. That comment is really just rude. This isn't a game of one-upmanship. Nobody is trying to steal your thunder. Maybe they didn't read your post and they made a similar comment. It's probably not intentional and you don't need to waste a post pointing it out.

Here's another tip: it's not always necessary to quote someone's entire post or graphic just to comment on it. Obviously, sometimes it is, but use good judgement. Most of the time it's just a space muncher.

I think you get the idea. I hope that helps anyway. Obviously, I can't address every possible scenario, but please take a moment or two before you submit your post and ask yourself if it's relevant. Remember: quality over quantity. Storm2k is a fun place to be and we want to keep it that way. When the weather turns more serious though, naturally the forum will too. But for the most part, Storm2k is a fun, informative community for weather enthusiasts. Now that the tropics are heating up, I think it's important to keep the Talkin' Tropics forum just that....talkin' tropics. :)

I think the text in bold explains it all. The title was meant as an attention getter...no more no less.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#24 Postby Air Force Met » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:39 pm

cpdaman wrote: ... i'm not sure why u would post such a good thread with a subject stating that some members are important while other's are not, isn't that the same kind of attitude u are trying to eliminate.

And yes u are a veteran and i should not speak up , but the title just seemed unfair

I think you missed the point. The point of the title and the opening line is everyone is important...and it was a tool to get you to read the thread...which you did. You missed the point completely....everyone is important...we just need to show restraint...new and old.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#25 Postby southerngale » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:39 pm

cpdaman wrote:so by the topic of this thread if someone is a newbie to this thread has no room for learning experiences and that they are not important, i'm not sure why u would post such a good thread with a subject stating that some members are important while other's are not, isn't that the same kind of attitude u are trying to eliminate.

Did you read the first line of the first post?

The title says "For our important members only..." and then when you open the thread, the first line says, "Of course that's you! ;) " meaning everyone is an important member. I thought that would be clear to everyone after opening the thread, and the thread subject was designed to make you want to open it. I'm sorry you misunderstood.
0 likes   

curtadams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby curtadams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:41 pm

cpdaman, relax, the title was just a cute way to get everybody to read the thread. And the implication, since a "for important members only" post is one obviously directed to everybody, is that every poster here is important.

There's plenty of opportunity to learn. You can learn a lot by watching. Yes, you learn by making predictions too, and that's still OK. But, if somebody thought Alberto was a goner last night, something like

"Well, with the LLC exposed and buried under dry air, I don't think there's any way for Alberto to regenerate. I think the LLC will just drift west in the low-level flow, weakening as it goes, more or less like the UKM model has it. If the shear were just a little bit weaker it probably would have gone east but - 'close but no cigar'"

is OK but

"St0rm cancel, DUDE! "

is not
0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby cpdaman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:48 pm

understood
0 likes   

bayoubebe
Category 1
Category 1

#28 Postby bayoubebe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
quality over quantity.

Those words say it all.

I don't wish to be one of those "I agree" folks here, so I'd like to just add one little codicil if I may, for those "enthusiasts" out there. Some of us have literally been through hell backward, and while I (I can't speak for anyone else) can appreciate the curiosity and enthusiasm of youth, and even the not-so-young, I would ask that you try to bridle your enthusiasm just enough to not make it sound as if you're really hoping some place will get slammed by a major--or any TC for that matter as they all can be both deadly and destructive.

I'm as guilty as the next in wanting to plot and follow every move of a system once it gets "interesting", but the one thing I will religiously stick to, is not wishing for a landfall in any particular area--only the satisfaction one gets in watching one of the truly awesome displays of nature's power, .....

And dearly hoping it stays far away from here!

Thanks Southerngale--hope that wasn't trying to steal any thunder! :wink:

A2K

I"m not a regular poster here, so I may not have seen posts in which you speak of.

But, I have to say that I find it highly difficult to imagine that anyone would hope that a place get slammed so badly that it would have severe destruction and/or death.

I would think that people get excited and want to see the power of nature, but are not wishing damage on anyone.

I'm in the New Orleans area also and understand your sensitivity to the matter.

I just hope you are not reading people's excitement and enthusiasm wrongly.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:51 pm

I find it highly difficult to imagine that anyone would hope that a place get slammed so badly that it would have severe destruction and/or death.
I would think that people get excited and want to see the power of nature, but are not wishing damage on anyone.
I'm in the New Orleans area also and understand your sensitivity to the matter.
I just hope you are not reading people's excitement and enthusiasm wrongly.

Trust me, I'm NOT! I wouldn't have made the request had I not seen them firsthand. I'm not about to re-open any old wounds; but there have been occasions where cheerleaders have openly expressed their thrill at storms of a Cat 5 making landfalls in populated areas. I'll leave it at that. I try not to read between the lines at all; but sometimes, however unintended, a callous comment along those lines sticks out like a fly in a bowl of milk--both of which I find a bit disconcerting.

A2K
0 likes   

bayoubebe
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby bayoubebe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:

Trust me, I'm NOT! I wouldn't have made the request had I not seen them firsthand. I'm not about to re-open any old wounds; but there have been occasions where cheerleaders have openly expressed their thrill at storms of a Cat 5 making landfalls in populated areas. I'll leave it at that. I try not to read between the lines at all; but sometimes, however unintended, a callous comment along those lines sticks out like a fly in a bowl of milk--both of which I find a bit disconcerting.

A2K

This is disappointing to hear. Perhaps, just maybe, they don't know any better. ie, the damage/destruction it does, how it completely changes people's lives and their environment.

It is depressing to see what Katrina did to New Orleans, and how much work we still have to go.

To think that we missed the "eye" with this much damage is mind boggling.

Sure, it's fun to watch/feel strong winds, see the "funny looking clouds" as some call them, or watch the waves.

BUT, let's hope and pray there are NO lives lost this year and no severe structural damage. I wish that on NO ONE.
0 likes   

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#31 Postby VeniceInlet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 pm

I would like to put in a plea for an "ignore" feature on this board. I think it would help a lot. For one, it cuts down on the "noise" in the signal to noise ratio and means less scrolling through nonsense. Typically in my experience the same people make the same inane posts over and over again, and rather than have them annoy me to the point where I might fire off some cheeky remark, it would be great if I just had the option of not seeing what they say.

For instance, there's a poster on this board (not in Tampa) who has been wishcasting for a hurricane to hit Tampa Bay for at least the last two seasons (because it's "overdue"), and every TS is a possible bomb waiting to happen. Of course I see that Alberto has him all fired up again. So I'd love to just hit "click" and be done with him for the season.

Is this possible, mods? I know the software is available that has this feature. It's usually accessible in a user's control panel. I think you'd get a lot of $ contributions if you'd consider adding this.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby bvigal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:33 pm

southerngale wrote:N/P guys...I think it was really needed. Unfortunately, either some people haven't read it or it's falling on deaf ears.

A2K...yes, you are correct in your thinking. :)

Kelly, I'm sure your effort here will reap rewards! You and the rest of the mods do a FABULOUS job, but it must at times be nearly overwhelming!! With this thread, you've succeeded in getting many to chime in with their thoughts. That's bound to have some positive effects!
0 likes   

curtadams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby curtadams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:39 pm

VeniceInlet wrote:I would like to put in a plea for an "ignore" feature on this board. I think it would help a lot. For one, it cuts down on the "noise" in the signal to noise ratio and means less scrolling through nonsense. Typically in my experience the same people make the same inane posts over and over again, and rather than have them annoy me to the point where I might fire off some cheeky remark, it would be great if I just had the option of not seeing what they say.

Is this possible, mods? I know the software is available that has this feature. It's usually accessible in a user's control panel. I think you'd get a lot of $ contributions if you'd consider adding this.

Ignore won't fix everything wrong, but it sure will help. De facto, we all have posters we ignore - in this internet age, why not use software to make it easier and save screenspace?
0 likes   

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#34 Postby VeniceInlet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:43 pm

curtadams, you are right, it does help. I've found that in message boards I frequent that have this feature (for instance, CourtTV's board) it makes discretionary reading a lot easier and more pleasant.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#35 Postby southerngale » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 am

I thought it was a good time to bump this thread back to the top. After wading through a lot of the aforementioned types of posts in the tropics forum, this thread came to mind.

Remember... it's not a race to see how many posts you can make in one thread, or in some cases, on one page. Take your time and possibly consolidate many of your thoughts into one post.

And some things just belong in the Off Topic forum. :)
0 likes   

kozzieman

Search feature disabled

#36 Postby kozzieman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:09 pm

So has the search feature to research posts made by other members been disabled for everyone to avoid server problems?
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Search feature disabled

#37 Postby southerngale » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:18 am

kozzieman wrote:So has the search feature to research posts made by other members been disabled for everyone to avoid server problems?

Yes. You can read a little more about it in this thread.
0 likes   

Over my head
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: For our important members only...

#38 Postby Over my head » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:41 pm

As I found my way around when I started watching/lurking a couple weeks ago, I had no idea why the search was disabled . In the midst of the frenzy on the Dean threads, I wanted to not have to ask questions that I could have found the answers to myself by searching so that was aggravating to me but I see why now.

It was exciting to have this forum to watch, absorb and enjoyed even the longest thread hoping someone would ask/tell what I wanted to know without interrupting the wildness of things. They did. :lol: In the mean time I got to know some personalities of the board. Thanks for having me. :D

EDIT:

I did finally find the list of acronyms which was a huge help!!
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”