All members and guests please read: UPDATE: Search Enabled

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

All members and guests please read: UPDATE: Search Enabled

#1 Postby x-y-no » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:06 am

It looks like things are about to get very busy in the Atlantic basin. We, the staff of Storm2k will work to keep things running smoothly and make this the most useful and informative site possible. But we need your help:

When the board is busy, please go easy on the refresh button. We have moved to a new server and performance is much better than in past years, but everything has limits. If you notice the forum pages loading more slowly, just be a little patient.

Members, we value everyone's participation but try to keep the pace of commentary down so that valuable information doesn't get buried under pages of discussion. If you have something to add or a question you need answered, please don't hesitate to post it - but if something has already been said or already asked and answered, use your judgment as to whether it really needs saying again. Also, remember that we have a chat room for more casual conversation - and the great thing is that the chat room doesn't put any additional load on our server. We'd love to see you there. The chat room can be accessed at this link (java) or this link (html) or if you have an IRC client like mIRC then connect to irc.esper.net. The channel name is #storm2k.

And everyone please try to practice patience, tolerance and consideration with each other. Our membership is diverse in both age and life experience. It's inevitable that we will all at times fail to understand each other's perspectives. There will inevitably be times of great worry and stress. Try to take that into consideration as you participate. And if you have a problem with another member, please don't take it upon yourself to confront them. PM one or two of the S2K staff who are online and we'll do our best to resolve things.

Thank you all for your help and for your participation in the Storm2k community.
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: All members and guests please read:

#2 Postby storms in NC » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:58 pm

x-y-no wrote:It looks like things are about to get very busy in the Atlantic basin. We, the staff of Storm2k will work to keep things running smoothly and make this the most useful and informative site possible. But we need your help:

When the board is busy, please go easy on the refresh button. We have moved to a new server and performance is much better than in past years, but everything has limits. If you notice the forum pages loading more slowly, just be a little patient.

Members, we value everyone's participation but try to keep the pace of commentary down so that valuable information doesn't get buried under pages of discussion. If you have something to add or a question you need answered, please don't hesitate to post it - but if something has already been said or already asked and answered, use your judgment as to whether it really needs saying again. Also, remember that we have a chat room for more casual conversation - and the great thing is that the chat room doesn't put any additional load on our server. We'd love to see you there. The chat room can be accessed at this link (java) or this link (html) or if you have an IRC client like mIRC then connect to irc.esper.net. The channel name is #storm2k.

And everyone please try to practice patience, tolerance and consideration with each other. Our membership is diverse in both age and life experience. It's inevitable that we will all at times fail to understand each other's perspectives. There will inevitably be times of great worry and stress. Try to take that into consideration as you participate. And if you have a problem with another member, please don't take it upon yourself to confront them. PM one or two of the S2K staff who are online and we'll do our best to resolve things.

Thank you all for your help and for your participation in the Storm2k community.

NP Here thank you
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby chadtm80 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 am

Effective immediately nonsense posts are going to be deleted on spot by the staff.. We will not be taking the time to PM everyone that has a post deleted.. So just know that if your posts disapear this is the reason why. If you become a "repeat offender" of the nonsense posting we will pass down a "mini-suspension" to you (starting with a 12 hour or so) if that still does not get the point across to you and you continue the spree when you return you will receive a multi day suspension up to a permanent ban. We are about to get very very busy in this forum.. We have asked politely over and over and it is continuing. So now it is just time for us to add "consequences" to our pleas..

A few threads to help explain what we mean by "nonsense" posts...

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=85432

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=88664

Please take a few minutes to read them. Thanks for your cooperation... our main goal is to keep Storm2k running smoothly and efficiently for everyone.
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Janie2006 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:18 am

Good show. It's an excellent idea that effectively "kills two birds with one stone."
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:16 pm

are we still allowed tp make our wishcast forecast topics?
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby x-y-no » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Addendum:

We're disabling searches. Some members apparently have no self-restraint, and the result was crashing the board.
0 likes   

Tenspeed
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Tenspeed » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Love the new layout. Thank you for the great work you do. You are appreciated.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby x-y-no » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm

ONce again, search is disabled indefinitely. Please stop asking. :-/
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Re: All members and guests please read: UPDATE: search diabled

#9 Postby Nimbus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:35 am

"Author" must be a key field in the S2k database. A query by author therefore should put no more load on resources than loading a thread. Can we get a limited query facility by author?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: All members and guests please read: UPDATE: search diabled

#10 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:34 am

Nimbus wrote:"Author" must be a key field in the S2k database. A query by author therefore should put no more load on resources than loading a thread. Can we get a limited query facility by author?

Unfortunately, even a query by Author if run against the entire database would represent a load that we just don't want right now. With our friends in the islands under the gun over the next few days it's more important to make sure that S2K is an available resource for them right now. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:52 am

I have an idea - during extreme periods when there are significant active Atlantic systems in overload periods, the folders in the S2K Extra section (i.e. off-topic) should be temporarily closed until activity drops off...
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: All members and guests please read: UPDATE: search disabled

#12 Postby CajunMama » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:07 am

Closing other topics is not fair to those who visit them. I still visit those other forums. Is Would it be fair to say that the tropics forum should be closed during winter when everyone is posting in the winter weather forum?
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby x-y-no » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:10 am

CajunMama wrote:Closing other topics is not fair to those who visit them. I still visit those other forums. Is Would it be fair to say that the tropics forum should be closed during winter when everyone is posting in the winter weather forum?

I agree. And at any rate, the volume of traffic there isn't having a big impact anyway.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Search has been temporarily enabled again. We are trying some advanced features that should disable the search function automatically during high load periods. Please do not abuse the search function and limit your searches to the specific forum you're interested in and not the entire board.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby O Town » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:32 pm

Yay! Hope the new features work out, I didn't realize I used the search feature that much....till it was gone. :P
0 likes   

gotoman38
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#16 Postby gotoman38 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:56 pm

O Town wrote:Yay! Hope the new features work out, I didn't realize I used the search feature that much....till it was gone. :P

Me either - there were many times that I would want to search for certain posts - glad to have it back :D

I've got to say that I was VERY impressed with how the board was administered and moderated during Dean - great job S2K team!

:notworthy: :chopper:
0 likes   

Windsurfer_NYC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby Windsurfer_NYC » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am

mf_dolphin wrote:Search has been temporarily enabled again. We are trying some advanced features that should disable the search function automatically during high load periods. Please do not abuse the search function and limit your searches to the specific forum you're interested in and not the entire board.

Are there any restrictions on search currently in place? Seems like the servers are allowing one search per 15 or 30 minutes (with the message "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." delivered while you wait).......

Thanks!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby artist » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:23 pm

I know I haven't been able to use search since it was disabled.
I have tried it 4 or 5 times today alone and says to try again in a few minutes also. Never works.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: All members and guests please read: UPDATE: Search Enabled

#19 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm

I made some adjustments to the search feature. There is a 60 seconds limit between searches (tracked per member) and 180 seconds for non-members searches. Let's see how this works.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Chacor » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:14 pm

Why not just disable search for guests altogether?
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”