Why doesn't the western Pacific have recon???

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Why doesn't the western Pacific have recon???

#1 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:08 am

Why doesn't Japan, being one of the biggest economies, and affected with cyclones almost every year, have a fleet of recon planes? It amazes me that a nation that says they are for advancement, and cares for its people, doesn't have a fleet of planes to study cyclones. At the very least, China, is also a large economy; why don't they get a fleet of planes? They have tens if not hundreds of millions of people in striking distances to these monsters, and they don't went to study, or know the true strength of them.

Since China is building up its military, how about some recon planes.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 am

Not sure, but I'm certain that Jangmi wasnt the strongest storm since 1995. It was just flown into by recon.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

Re: Why don't the western Pacific don't have recon???

#3 Postby pojo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:00 pm

It solely depends on money.... and if Lockheed-Martin will make more modified wC130J aircraft..... it will take years for them to make a single J model and years to train its crews.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Category 5 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 pm

The WPAC needs recon all the time, imagine the valuable data we're missing.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby Aslkahuna » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm

However, Congress is not of the mind to appropriate money for WPAC recon to protect other country's interests-coveniently forgetting that Guam and the Northern Marianas are US Territories or Commonwealths and that we have many military in Japan. Besides, although the data would be valuable for many lines of research, I would be the last to accuse Congress of actually understanding that notion.

Steve
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:24 am

Aslkahuna wrote:However, Congress is not of the mind to appropriate money for WPAC recon to protect other country's interests-coveniently forgetting that Guam and the Northern Marianas are US Territories or Commonwealths and that we have many military in Japan. Besides, although the data would be valuable for many lines of research, I would be the last to accuse Congress of actually understanding that notion.

Steve

Why does it have to be the United states? How about China or Japan put out some money to build some their selfs; they are rich nation that can make things, at least I would think so.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:35 am

pojo wrote:It solely depends on money.... and if Lockheed-Martin will make more modified wC130J aircraft..... it will take years for them to make a single J model and years to train its crews.

China can make their own airplanes. If they can send people into orbit, they can make their own planes. And probably will.
Now, if they want to buy some from Lockheed-Martin......
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:43 pm

DanKellFla wrote:
pojo wrote:It solely depends on money.... and if Lockheed-Martin will make more modified wC130J aircraft..... it will take years for them to make a single J model and years to train its crews.

China can make their own airplanes. If they can send people into orbit, they can make their own planes. And probably will.
Now, if they want to buy some from Lockheed-Martin......

I agree,

China has tens of millions of people that our at threat of more severe tropical cyclones then the United states is. They should at least make sure that they have everything in place to keep them safe.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#9 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:40 am

Mmmm.....imagine the hype when the number of Cat5 storms doubles globally after recon flights start in the WPAC....media would have a global warming fit just because measurements became more accurate.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:28 pm

I am surprised that China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan do not have recon planes, like America and they get hit by typhoons often. Those nations are rich enough and have the resources. I mean if China can send a man to space, why not do hurricane recons.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby Aslkahuna » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:00 pm

There are also issues regarding airspace and overflight permission. When the US was flying recon, we generally had permission to enter other Country's airspace with our military recon aircraft (except for China, North Korea, and Viet Nam) but it's hard to say if the same would happen if China were to take up the mission-particularly if their military were involved. When JTWC was the official agency for WPAC it was easier to schedule recon resources because they were the ones who controlled them. Now that we have the main WPAC RSMC in Tokyo and regional centers elsewhere the coordination is more complicated. There IS another way to get WPAC recon back and that would be if the other countries were willing to pony up the cash to the US for us to do it.

Steve
0 likes   

Just Joshing You
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby Just Joshing You » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Well, having recon fly into a storm does not change the strength of the storm, so I say why bother? Sure, useful information for weather addicts, another storm to hype "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THE VDM!?! 877 MB 174 FL WINDS OMG!!!"

But there really isn't an actual need.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Actually there are some very legitimate reasons for having in situ observations from recon on storms worldwide for research purposes. How can we even begin to actually know if climate change is affecting the number and intensities of storms if we don't have the data? In another line of research, do we know if the structure and vertical wind profiles of tropical storms are the same everywhere and what about wind pressure relationships. Do they change over the year in WPAC as suspected and what about the disparity between reported intensities from JT and Tokyo that can not be explained by the use of different definitions of sustained winds. Also, it sure would have been nice to have known the actual pressure in TC Monica at its peak.

Steve
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#14 Postby Cyclenall » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Just Joshing You wrote:Well, having recon fly into a storm does not change the strength of the storm, so I say why bother? Sure, useful information for weather addicts, another storm to hype "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THE VDM!?! 877 MB 174 FL WINDS OMG!!!"

But there really isn't an actual need.

That is the wrong way at looking at it. Recon is needed because sometimes Dovark is way off in intensity as seen with Hurricane Norbert. Scientific data is the 2nd largest reason for recon.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#15 Postby senorpepr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:I am surprised that China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan do not have recon planes, like America and they get hit by typhoons often. Those nations are rich enough and have the resources. I mean if China can send a man to space, why not do hurricane recons.

For what it's worth, Taiwan (ROC) DOES perform recon missions. However, rather than doing fixes like the US, they do upper-level synoptic flights, much like the G-IV missions.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Why doesn't the western Pacific have recon???

#16 Postby MGC » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Forget the scientific reasons for recon. Recon saves lives....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”