We may no longer need rawinsonde data from weather balloons.

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

supercell1970
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

We may no longer need rawinsonde data from weather balloons.

#1 Postby supercell1970 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:11 pm

I have found a solution to the need of weather balloon data. It is a matter of a short time before
I prove it. It will only use 2 weather station locations and 2 pieces of weather data. Seems impossible?
Not if you analyze the math of thermodynamics correctly.
0 likes   

Just Joshing You
Category 2
Category 2

Re: We may no longer need rawinsonde data from weather balloons.

#2 Postby Just Joshing You » Wed May 06, 2009 8:11 am

What's your question, bud?
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: We may no longer need rawinsonde data from weather balloons.

#3 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 am

Commericial aircraft (ACARS) can collect the equivalent of sounding data on approach to landing at airports, but, IMHO, educated as a petroleum engineer, and not a meteorologist, but knowing petroleum engineering involves not just a mass balance, but also anisotropic media, and multiple fluids, well, one winds up with a hugely complex partial differential equation for which approximations are made based on certain initial, boundary and time conditions.

Sadly, I can't see current ACARS data on the world wide interweb.

Satellites can also estimate PW, CAPE, etc, but have some trouble resolving exact altitude and seeing through multiple cloud decks, if I understand correctly.

Me, personally, I wish they'd launch a balloon every six hours, and include HGX as a launch point.

I used to kind of know the laws of thermodynamics, well enough to pass tests, anyway, and I don't think weather obs at 2 stations and the laws of thermodynamics can come anywhere close to adequately describing very complex processes, that include condensation and evaporation, over the entire planet, which isn't smooth or homogenous, over the active part of the troposphere which pushes 8 miles up or so.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”