Colliding Hurricanes? A Quick Question

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneStriker
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Colliding Hurricanes? A Quick Question

#1 Postby HurricaneStriker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Two wave move off of Africa together on a warm day in the middle of September. The leading one intensifies into a major hurricane. The one behind follows suit the next day. The first one stalls, the second one still goes. They ram into each other. BOOM! Super hurricane.

:D :D :D :D :D

I have held this question since childhood. Can two hurricanes collide with each other? The last time I saw a hurricane "collision" was earlier this year in the WPAC, when Severe Tropical Storm Lionrock ate up Tropical Storm Namtheun, although it wasn't really a collision and wasn't spectacular.

A superhurricane scenerio from 2005. I don't think it happened, did it?
0 likes   
217 Miles from the Texas Shore

frigidice77

#2 Postby frigidice77 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Not possible imo.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Colliding Hurricanes? A Quick Question

#3 Postby Macrocane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am

Hurricanes don't collide, they do the Fujiwara interaction, they rotate around a common center and if they are close enough the bigger or stronger system will absorb the weaker one. In Alpha's and Wilma's case I think there was not Fujiwara because Alpha was already in a weakend state and it was caught in Wilma's inflow though I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwara_effect
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”