Boundary Layer in Tropical Cyclones

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

Boundary Layer in Tropical Cyclones

#1 Postby Chris90 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if a Pro-Met or a knowledgeable amateur could give me an explanation on the boundary layer in tropical cyclones? I've tried to do some research on Google, but it is mainly giving me scholarly articles and I was hoping for a more basic explanation of the boundary layer before I get into all that.
I'm particularly curious if the boundary layer is what people are talking about when they discuss the stronger winds aloft in a cyclone mixing down to the surface? Does the boundary layer have something to do with this? Is it something to do with the boundary layer reaching a greater height therefore pulling stronger winds higher up down to the surface, or is the boundary layer at a fixed height in a storm? Or does the boundary layer have nothing to do with the winds mixing down?
I'm fairly clueless on the boundary layer so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
0 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Boundary Layer in Tropical Cyclones

#2 Postby Visioen » Mon May 28, 2018 5:51 pm

I saw your question and since i have no idea what a boundary layer is, I started wondering and looked it up myself.
This is the best explanation I found (definition of the boundary layer):

The boundary layer is the lowest 1–2 km of the atmosphere, the region most directly influenced by the exchange of momentum, heat and water vapor at the earth’s surface. Turbulent motions on time scales of an hour or less dominate the flow in this region, transporting atmospheric properties both horizontally and vertically throughout its depth” (Kaimal and Finnigan 1994, p. v).
The popularity of the term partly reflects the fact that the well-mixed layer is often identical to the boundary layer.

'Mixing' and 'Mixed layer' explained in simple terms: http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints3/952

To answer your questions: as I understand it, mixing down of stronger winds in tropical cyclones occurs in the boundary layer. That's it.
Feel free to correct or add to that.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”