NOAA tgftp file request issues

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

NOAA tgftp file request issues

#1 Postby Extratropical94 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:40 am

So I have a couple of automated file grabbers set up that download various data files from NOAA's fileserver at tgftp.nws.noaa.gov every 10-60 minutes. Usually, I download a list of ~50 individual files sequentially.
I noticed that, at some point yesterday (August 15), the automated scripts stopped updating. I looked into the logs and found that after downloading somewhere between 1 and 5 files, the download request for the subsequent file takes forever. No error messages, disconnects, timeouts or other indicators of what's happening.
So far, I've tried the downloads with wget and curl on both a Windows and a Linux machine, as well as the Python modules requests and urllib3. I've also run those scripts from a different network and remotely on a machine at my university to rule out firewall/network issues, but to no avail. The downloads always start to hang after successfully downloading 1-5 files.

Has anyone else encountered this issue recently?
0 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

Re: NOAA tgftp file request issues

#2 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm

I have a Python3 script regularly downloading recon data from tgftp and it also ran into a issue occasionally when the download request simply wouldn't return. I was under the assumption that it was just some hangup with my internet connection but now that you've brought it up I wonder if it's a server issue.
2 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: NOAA tgftp file request issues

#3 Postby Extratropical94 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Ok, I guess I'll have to wait and see if the problem persists. Thank you!
0 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”