Whole house Generators?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StAuggy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Whole house Generators?

#1 Postby StAuggy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:04 am

My parents have been on the fence about what type of whole home generator to purchase and so I thought I might ask around here on the forum to see what the members think if anyone happens to have one

Pro’s/Con’s
Brands vs Cost
Reliability

They’ve looked at Generac, Kohler and Cummins

Thanks!!!
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Whole house Generators?

#2 Postby toad strangler » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:24 am

StAuggy wrote:My parents have been on the fence about what type of whole home generator to purchase and so I thought I might ask around here on the forum to see what the members think if anyone happens to have one

Pro’s/Con’s
Brands vs Cost
Reliability

They’ve looked at Generac, Kohler and Cummins

Thanks!!!

I have long thought about putting one in. It's an awesome luxury to have. But when I do think about it, I look at how I've never needed a generator for more than a day in my life. Right now I am staring at my $700 genny that's never been used aside from making sure it is in good running shape. So it's not a practical purchase in my eyes. It's a luxury. Which is all good. If ya got the 15k or so sitting idle to do it .... do it!
1 likes   

Bobd33
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Whole house Generators?

#3 Postby Bobd33 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Back in 2006, after spending more than a week after a hurricane without power, I invested in a whole home generator. Following local zoning mandates I ended up with a Generac 40Kw unit, with a automatic transfer switch. The unit cost some $9500.00 the switch another $1000.00 Installation by a professional licensed installer, wiring, testing and adjustment ran close to $5500.00. The 1000 gallon propane tank or the mini-sub I have buried in my back yard was about another $5000. It can only hold some 800 gallons and about $3.00 a gallon so $2400.00. This can supply power for about 3 weeks, just over 500 Hrs. Over the years I have some 450 hour on the unit. It as served my well through several storms and local power outages. It has receive annual maintenance by me for the most part. Still runs great!

Major repairs have been the exhaust headers. After a 8 or nine years they tend to rust out. I recommend getting an aluminum case in place of the steel one. Mine now has rust stains and several rust hole in the corners. I highly recommend propane, as it lasts forever compared to gasoline or Diesel, which would need at least annual changing, or polishing. THIS IS NOT A DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT, you need an electrical contractor. I will not be without one again !

DECEMBER 2022[b] [/b]Back at the beginning of the 2022 hurricane season I did a test run under load of the Generac System. Unit started up and ran great but boy it sure was loud. Once again one of the exhaust pipes had rusted out. I figured, easy fix ! Then Murphy stepped into picture. In addition to the exhaust pipe rust out the major hole was next to the cast iron header and it was fire slotted. I would need to replace them both. So I started looking for parts. Cast iron header was available, but not cheap. Exhaust pipe could not be found anywhere even through Generac. From what my research indicated many other parts were also not available. Figured I got 15 good years, time for an upgrade.

This time around I selected a Kohler 30RCL/A (specs are available on the Kohler.com web site) Reasons were reputation, performance, economy when running, and warranty. Now all I had to was get one. Ordered one in June. Then the fun started. I figured out what the problem with the supply chain is... Murphy is in charge. Got promised a September delivery that changed to mid October, that ended up being mid November :double: Upon arrival things picked up speed.

New unit and new ATS with all new wire is up and running. Will keep you updated. Oh yes ... the cost. lets just say inflation is a mean wbitch.
1 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”