Question about hurricane wind fields and surface obs

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

Question about hurricane wind fields and surface obs

#1 Postby DestinHurricane » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 pm

The NHC always has a graphic that shows where the tropical storm and hurricane force winds extend to. Why do they say tropical storm force winds are where they aren't if surface obs clearly do not support?

Here's a few recent examples:
Isaias 2020 - NHC graphic had TS force winds going into S FL. Palm Beach international reported sustained winds of 28mph.

Michael 2018 - NHC graphic stated that winds of TS force extended all the way west of P cola. They also said just before landfall that 58mph winds would extend into walton county. Destin reported sustained winds of 41 mph for a very brief period. Pensacola reported winds of 28mph

Irma 2017 - NHC graphic said TS force winds extended west of Destin. Destin reported 28mph.

The station in destin is mounted high at the airport and it is definitely accurate.

I'm talking about the NHC current wind field in all of these, not predictions.
0 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Question about hurricane wind fields and surface obs

#2 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:18 am

I don't think most of these stations are designed to accurately measure high winds. Spotter observations are usually more accurate.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”