Question Box:

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#101 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:16 pm

mempho wrote:
RattleMan wrote:
Misshurricane wrote:OOOHHHHHHH!!!!! I have a question..... what are the "T-numbers" how high/low is the scale and what does it mean?? THANKS!!!!!

See if this can help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_technique

Follow-up Question:

As I have understood it, T numbers are used when there is an absence of recon. TD 4 has a Dvorak indicating tropical storm strength yet I don't see Debby getting a name. Without recon to the contrary, what is the reasoning for this?

Dvorak isn't a sole tool used. Dvorak is used in association with other rules of thumb. The process is rather subjective. If the satellite presentation indicates a minimal tropical storm, but other facts (such as QuikSCAT) indicate otherwise, they will adjust the intensity as needed.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby LAwxrgal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 pm

senorpepr wrote:
LAwxrgal wrote:I have a question... I've often heard of shear and shear maps and shear tendencies but what exactly is it? Is it winds aloft? or water currents? I'm unsure as to what exactly it is... Thanks...

Shear is essentially a change in winds, whether it's a change in direction (directional shear) or a change in speed (speed shear). Shear can be figured as horizontal shear (a change in winds over the same altitude whether it's at the surface or aloft) and vertical shear (a change in winds over the same location, but at different altitudes).

The shear maps show how much of a change exists and the tendencies show what the trends are.

For overland thunderstorms, shear tends to help the system by adding a vent. However, tropical cyclones don't want this. The lower the shear (or the more uniform the atmosphere is), the better.

:D Okay, cool, thanks, that actually cleared a lot of stuff up for me. I kind of figured it was winds aloft but wasn't entirely sure. Thanks.
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#103 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 pm

LAwxrgal wrote:
senorpepr wrote:
LAwxrgal wrote:I have a question... I've often heard of shear and shear maps and shear tendencies but what exactly is it? Is it winds aloft? or water currents? I'm unsure as to what exactly it is... Thanks...

Shear is essentially a change in winds, whether it's a change in direction (directional shear) or a change in speed (speed shear). Shear can be figured as horizontal shear (a change in winds over the same altitude whether it's at the surface or aloft) and vertical shear (a change in winds over the same location, but at different altitudes).

The shear maps show how much of a change exists and the tendencies show what the trends are.

For overland thunderstorms, shear tends to help the system by adding a vent. However, tropical cyclones don't want this. The lower the shear (or the more uniform the atmosphere is), the better.

:D Okay, cool, thanks, that actually cleared a lot of stuff up for me. I kind of figured it was winds aloft but wasn't entirely sure. Thanks.

Here's an example... say the winds over Omaha at 5000ft is 30kt and at 6000ft is 50kt. There is 20kt/kft of shear over Omaha.
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#104 Postby mempho » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 pm

senorpepr wrote:
mempho wrote:
RattleMan wrote:
Misshurricane wrote:OOOHHHHHHH!!!!! I have a question..... what are the "T-numbers" how high/low is the scale and what does it mean?? THANKS!!!!!

Follow-up Question:

As I have understood it, T numbers are used when there is an absence of recon. TD 4 has a Dvorak indicating tropical storm strength yet I don't see Debby getting a name. Without recon to the contrary, what is the reasoning for this?

Dvorak isn't a sole tool used. Dvorak is used in association with other rules of thumb. The process is rather subjective. If the satellite presentation indicates a minimal tropical storm, but other facts (such as QuikSCAT) indicate otherwise, they will adjust the intensity as needed.

OK, so they are splitting the difference between Dvorak and other tools.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby LAwxrgal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:23 pm

senorpepr wrote:
LAwxrgal wrote:
senorpepr wrote:

Here's an example... say the winds over Omaha at 5000ft is 30kt and at 6000ft is 50kt. There is 20kt/kft of shear over Omaha.

Which, according to what you say above, would help in the development of severe thunderstorms in that area. Would this same logic apply to hurricanes? At 5000 ft the winds in an area of the ocean north of a storm are 10 kts and 6000 ft the winds are 40kts, would that mean the shear in that area is 30kts?
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:25 pm

mempho wrote:
senorpepr wrote:
mempho wrote:
RattleMan wrote:

Follow-up Question:

OK, so they are splitting the difference between Dvorak and other tools.
from the 11 AM Discussion:
DVORAK INTENSITY ESTIMATES AT 12Z WERE 30 KT FROM TAFB AND AFWA...
AND 35 KT FROM SAB. SINCE THEN CONVECTION HAS DECAYED SOMEWHAT AND
SO THE ADVISORY INTENSITY WILL REMAIN 30 KT. HIGHER VALUES IN THE
8Z QUIKSCAT PASS ARE BELIEVED TO BE RAIN CONTAMINATED.

So as you can see, you have Dvorak, TAFB, AFWA, and SAB all running estimates, you have Quikscat, and you then have the forecasters looking at convective trends...all of those are taken into account when issueing the intensity for an advisory...then if you have Recon, they will mainly go by that and convective trends, but they still see how in agreement the recon data and Sat estimates are...
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#107 Postby mempho » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:25 pm

LAwxrgal wrote:
senorpepr wrote:
LAwxrgal wrote:
senorpepr wrote:

Which, according to what you say above, would help in the development of severe thunderstorms in that area. Would this same logic apply to hurricanes? At 5000 ft the winds in an area of the ocean north of a storm are 10 kts and 6000 ft the winds are 40kts, would that mean the shear in that area is 30kts?

On this question...doesn't shear hurt the vertical development of overland storms? I know some of our hail producing storms can get very, very high. It's hard to imagine that shear would help those storms.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#108 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:25 pm

mempho wrote:OK, so they are splitting the difference between Dvorak and other tools.

Also, that tend to split the difference of Dvorak reporting agencies. For instance, if TAFB is reporting T1.5, SAB is reporting T2.0, and AFWA is reporting T2.5, NHC is likely to set the intensity at 30KT (T2.0).
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#109 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:27 pm

LAwxrgal wrote:Which, according to what you say above, would help in the development of severe thunderstorms in that area. Would this same logic apply to hurricanes? At 5000 ft the winds in an area of the ocean north of a storm are 10 kts and 6000 ft the winds are 40kts, would that mean the shear in that area is 30kts?

Shear helps overlands storms, but tropical cyclones (since they are a warm-core system) is hurt by shear. The less shear over the water, the less the tropical cyclone is disturbed.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#110 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:29 pm

mempho wrote:On this question...doesn't shear hurt the vertical development of overland storms? I know some of our hail producing storms can get very, very high. It's hard to imagine that shear would help those storms.

No... shear helps to vent the storm and introduce more dry air, which helps an overland tstm. Actually, during a tstm that is producing hail, usually the shear is VERY high. It helps in the hail development process.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby LAwxrgal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:30 pm

senorpepr wrote:
LAwxrgal wrote:Which, according to what you say above, would help in the development of severe thunderstorms in that area. Would this same logic apply to hurricanes? At 5000 ft the winds in an area of the ocean north of a storm are 10 kts and 6000 ft the winds are 40kts, would that mean the shear in that area is 30kts?

Shear helps overlands storms, but tropical cyclones (since they are a warm-core system) is hurt by shear. The less shear over the water, the less the tropical cyclone is disturbed.

:D Ok, gotcha.
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#112 Postby mempho » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:30 pm

Thanks for your great answers, senorpepr!
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby LAwxrgal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 pm

mempho wrote:Thanks for your great answers, senorpepr!

Ditto. What he said. :D
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#114 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:33 pm

senorpepr wrote:
mempho wrote:On this question...doesn't shear hurt the vertical development of overland storms? I know some of our hail producing storms can get very, very high. It's hard to imagine that shear would help those storms.

No... shear helps to vent the storm and introduce more dry air, which helps an overland tstm. Actually, during a tstm that is producing hail, usually the shear is VERY high. It helps in the hail development process.

Check this out: http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/svr/comp/wind/home.rxml

(You'll have to copy and paste the whole URL)
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby wxmann_91 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:40 pm

senorpepr wrote:

Shear helps tilt the updraft of the thunderstorm, thus separating the downdrafts and updrafts, and increasing the longetivity of the thunderstorm. Thus, with the updraft tilted and strong, separated from teh downdraft, large hail can result.

TC's are vertically stacked storms.
0 likes   

Wthrman13
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#116 Postby Wthrman13 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
senorpepr wrote:

Shear helps tilt the updraft of the thunderstorm, thus separating the downdrafts and updrafts, and increasing the longetivity of the thunderstorm. Thus, with the updraft tilted and strong, separated from teh downdraft, large hail can result.

TC's are vertically stacked storms.

All this is definitely true, but there is an even more important effect that moderate vertical wind shear has on the organization of thunderstorm cells: dynamical pressure effects.

Basically, without getting too technical, a storm's updraft will interact with the changing speed and direction of the winds with altitude in the following two ways:

1) As the environmental wind speed increases with height, the updraft of the storm will be transporting lower-speed air from below into the higher wind speeds aloft. This has the effect of producing high pressure on the upstream side of the updraft, and low pressure on the downstream side of the updraft in the midlevels. This causes a preferential development of new updrafts on the downstream side of the old one and can help intensify and increase the longevity of the storm.

2) Rotation of the updraft. This is caused by the updraft tilting the horizontal vorticity present due to the environmental wind shear. The low pressure created in the rotating updraft at midlevels also leads to an enhancement of the updraft strength, due to an upward directed pressure gradient from the low-levels to the low pressure in the mid levels of the storm. Storms that have strong, deep, and persistent updraft rotation like this are called supercells.

These two effects combined can lead to a significant enhancement in the strength of the storm cell relative to another storm with the same buoyancy in a lower shear environment, simply due to these dynamic pressure effects.

I've glossed over a lot of stuff in this, but a full explanation can get rather technical and really requires diagrams to fully appreciate (at least for me). For a more thorough explanation, complete with nice diagrams and animations, check out:

http://meted.ucar.edu/topics_convective.php

and look for the topics entitled "Principles of Convection I, II, and III", particularly part III.
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#117 Postby GeneratorPower » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Senorpepr, are we talking about speed shear or directional shear?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#118 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:16 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:Senorpepr, are we talking about speed shear or directional shear?
Well, both. Speed convergence or directional convergence can also help build a thunderstorm over land. However, with respect to the above comments on shear and hail, that's more of a directional situation.
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#119 Postby BreinLa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:28 pm

this forum is awesome, thanks senor!!!!!!!!! A2K toooooo
0 likes   

MississippiHurricane
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#120 Postby MississippiHurricane » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks to EVERYONE!!!!!!!! :clap: