This forum: (For weather-related questions)

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

This forum: (For weather-related questions)

#1 Postby senorpepr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:08 pm

This forum is a section dedicated to learning and asking questions. All of us, regardless to our expertise in meteorology had to ask questions—it’s a part of learning. The idea of this forum is to stimulate people to ask those questions, whether complex or simple.

If you come across an acronym or term you’re unfamiliar with, feel free to ask here.

Just as the saying goes, there are no stupid questions. Don’t be shy. If you have a question, probably someone else has that same question.

Another purpose of this forum is to act as an archive or filing system for these questions. With each question getting it’s own thread, it’s easier to pull up a question from the past. It’s also easier for new forum members to look through the section to find an already asked question.

Use this section to ask some of the pro-mets, and well-versed amateurs about terms, acronyms, and phrases that they'd like to have explained to them, so they might follow the informative threads concerning these storms et. al. with a much wider perspective of understanding. Don't be shy. Feel free to post questions YOU might want answered. I can only hope that those "answering" these questions will be truly familiar enough with the question to answer it articulately and clearly... if not... ask for further elaboration. Curious minds WANT to know, and it's no shame to want to know what you're reading... it's a shame to read it and NOT know what you're reading when by asking... you can.

I also want to nod toward Audrey2Katrina for spearheading the Question Box thread that led to this.
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Swimdude » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:01 pm

A grand idea as usual! :bday:

I spread my thanks to Audrey2Katrina as well, the Question Box thread was a bunch of help, just to read, and I'm sure this forum will be too!
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby fci » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:25 pm

THIS FORUM IS GREAT!!!

Many thinks to S2K for coming up with it and the Pro Mets for monitoring it and answering our questions.

Please continue to monitor as best you can given that you will be getting quite busy...

:notworthy:
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:05 pm

great idea...:D I reposted the troughs and ridges post here as the original is now on Page 3 of TT, hopefully it clears up any questions anyone has about east coast T&R's, there were several people who said it was great information, so...
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#5 Postby Jim Cantore » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Supurb Idea 8-)
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby wxmann_91 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:29 pm

I concur.
0 likes   

wjs3
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby wjs3 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:33 pm

Pretty fantastic Idea. I love trying to answer some of this stuff.

I may have missed it, but did you all sticky this in talking tropics, or anounce it there? That way folks whose questions get buried in all the action over there know to come here for a little slower, more careful treatment of their questions.
0 likes   

SMNederlandTX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: This forum: (For weather-related questions)

#8 Postby SMNederlandTX » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Quick question...and it probably is a stupid one....LOL...what does the letters WX stand for in some peopls names? I've seen quite a few and just cannot figure it out....just curious is all.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:16 pm

SMNederlandTX wrote:Quick question...and it probably is a stupid one....LOL...what does the letters WX stand for in some peopls names? I've seen quite a few and just cannot figure it out....just curious is all.

WX=Weather
0 likes   

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Annie Oakley » Mon May 26, 2008 10:16 am

In weather discussions what does 'POPS' mean?

Also-and this may be complicated-what does the 00Z in the model discussions mean? I mean why does it always come up after an updated model comes out....hope this isn't too ignorant a ?. Thanks in advance......
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#11 Postby senorpepr » Mon May 26, 2008 11:13 am

Annie Oakley wrote:In weather discussions what does 'POPS' mean?

Also-and this may be complicated-what does the 00Z in the model discussions mean? I mean why does it always come up after an updated model comes out....hope this isn't too ignorant a ?. Thanks in advance......

POPS = Probability of Precipitation. You'll sometimes see the discussion say, "...because of that, I have increased the POPs for today." The forecaster is saying they have raised the probability of precipitation in the forecast.

00Z is a time. Z (or Zulu) is the alpha-code for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or UTC (Universal Time, Coordinated) The meteorological community, we tend to standardize on UTC rather than flipping between time zones. The 00 is the time, in hours using a 24-hour clock. 00Z (or 00:00 GMT) is the same as 7:00pm CDT.

You'll find model updates usually at...

00Z (00:00 GMT / 7:00pm CDT)
06Z (06:00 GMT / 1:00am CDT)
12Z (12:00 GMT / 7:00am CDT)
18Z (18:00 GMT / 1:00pm CDT)
0 likes   

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Annie Oakley » Tue May 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Gracias Senor!!!! Also-Invest L or Invest E, Invest W-what does the 'L' stand for? Thanks!!
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby RL3AO » Tue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:Gracias Senor!!!! Also-Invest L or Invest E, Invest W-what does the 'L' stand for? Thanks!!

Depicts the basin.

W = West Pacific (north of equator and west of 180 degrees)
E = East Pacific (north of equator and east of 140W)
L = North Atlantic (also includes Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean sea). Its an L because the Arabian sea is assigned "A".
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Chacor » Tue May 27, 2008 9:43 pm

senorpepr wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:In weather discussions what does 'POPS' mean?

POPS = Probability of Precipitation. You'll sometimes see the discussion say, "...because of that, I have increased the POPs for today." The forecaster is saying they have raised the probability of precipitation in the forecast.

00Z is a time. Z (or Zulu) is the alpha-code for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or UTC (Universal Time, Coordinated) The meteorological community, we tend to standardize on UTC rather than flipping between time zones. The 00 is the time, in hours using a 24-hour clock. 00Z (or 00:00 GMT) is the same as 7:00pm CDT.

You'll find model updates usually at...

00Z (00:00 GMT / 7:00pm CDT)
06Z (06:00 GMT / 1:00am CDT)
12Z (12:00 GMT / 7:00am CDT)
18Z (18:00 GMT / 1:00pm CDT)

I posted a time-comparison table in Talkin' Tropics some time last year. Unfortunately the non-daylight savings table seems to have disappeared, but the table which factors in daylight savings is still around:

0 likes   

redneckmainer
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#15 Postby redneckmainer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 pm

im wondering up here in maine will we get hit by hurricaine bertha
0 likes   

LeeJet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby LeeJet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Why does W. Europe receive alot less rainfall than W. NA?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Re:

#17 Postby senorpepr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:11 am

LeeJet wrote:Why does W. Europe receive alot less rainfall than W. NA?

Well, a key difference would be terrain. The western side of North America has numerous mountain chains that extend from north to south. This barrier acts as a lifting mechanism for the frontal boundaries that come off the North Pacific. In turn, plenty of rain falls.

Meanwhile, Europe has fewer mountain chains and for those that do exist, many are oriented west to east. Therefore, frontal systems don't run into the same lifting forces in Europe as they would in North America.

Does that help?
0 likes   

LeeJet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby LeeJet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

So why low compared to E. US, then?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#19 Postby senorpepr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:48 pm

LeeJet wrote:So why low compared to E. US, then?

Latitude makes a big difference. The types of systems affecting the E. US (both from the west and from the east) versus the type of systems affecting Europe (mostly occluded fronts from the west/northwest).
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#20 Postby RL3AO » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Offtopic: Its quite remarkable when you look how far north some of these European cities are. Minneapolis is at the same latitude as Torino, Italy. London is at the same latitude as Calgary.

Another one of my favorites is the distance from NYC to LA is about the same as London to Baghdad.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”