satellite views and circulation centers

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

satellite views and circulation centers

#1 Postby bvigal » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:04 pm

the fast forward motion has a way of displacing the center southward from satellite... you see that all the time in the caribbean...

I just read this in the 97L thread. Don't EVEN want to add to the already unbelievable clutter there. But, this doesn't make sense to me, I just didn't get it. Can anyone clarify?
0 likes   

wjs3
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wjs3 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:26 pm

bvigal--

I've never heard this one either--at least not quite so specifically as though it's a common event in the Carib.

The only think that I can think of is that the poster might be pointing out that sometimes in satellite we can't see the surface center in a developing storm--we'll see a mid level circulation (MLC). In developing storms, it is not unusual for the two to not be lined up. So, the surface center (the plane is looking for it) is displaced from what we see on the satellite.

Wind shear can cause this, for example.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't think that a west-northwest moving system would displace its convection south of its convection. It would likley displace the LLC to the west of the convection. In when you get a wave the strongest part of the V is what you watch to form. Which has it becomes stronger the wave becomes sharper intill it forms a cusps...Which means it about ready to close. So its not very likely that this wave would displace its vorticy on its weakest part.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”