Trade winds and lows

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jerseydevil11
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Trade winds and lows

#1 Postby jerseydevil11 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:11 pm

Do tropical lows and hurricanes generally follow the belt of the trade winds? Is the ITCZ in the trade winds?
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:46 pm

The true ITCZ is the Convergence Zone between the Trade Winds of the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. The Monsoon Trough is often mistakenly called the ITCZ but it isn't since there's a zone of Westerly flow (the monsoonal flow) equatorward of the trough axis which separates the Trades of each Hemisphere. Also, the Monsoon Trough migrates much further poleward in the Summer Hemisphere than the ITCZ does.

Steve
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Darn it my first post erased.

The trade winds are caused by the hadley cell...Which the air rises at the Itcz to it reachs the top of the tropsphere then moves northward...Or northeastard with the Coli force. When this air cools this air sinks at 30 north to make the subtropical highs. Part of this then moves southwestward then westard along the Itcz in the tropics. In another part go's into forming the Polar front/Jet stream which lays at 40 to 60 north by season. Also theres another high in the souther hem that forms a converence zone which makes the Itcz. In yes hurricanes move along this intill a weakness/trough in this subtropical ridge opens up.

I hope that Answered your quastion.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”