Gulf temps?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Im_So_Depressed

Gulf temps?

#1 Postby Im_So_Depressed » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Anyone know how warm the Gulf is?

How deep does this water go?

How's the Loop Current running these days?
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Well, I can't tell you exactly how hot the GOM is, but in layman terms, boiling hot water. How deep? I don't know but it gets less and less up to the coast I heard. You will get more answers then that.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby P.K. » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Up to 32C at the moment it looks like. Link 1. The 26C isotherm depth is a good indication of the depth of warm water. In this case it is up to 125 metres in places. Link 2
0 likes   

Im_So_Depressed

#4 Postby Im_So_Depressed » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:23 pm

PK, could you explain to me why people in the UK always talk about the weather yet have no clue about how it works?

The BBC Weather is horrendous and it reminds me of Good Morning America weather.
0 likes   

WindRunner
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby WindRunner » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:52 pm

Im_So_Depressed wrote:PK, could you explain to me why people in the UK always talk about the weather yet have no clue about how it works?

That's a somewhat rude generalization, don't you think? You must remember that the BBC over there is more like how CNN is to us - do you watch CNN for your weather forecast? I doubt it . . .
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby P.K. » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:59 pm

The tv weather or their website? Over the years it has been dumbed down to the point where I don't think they even show isobars anymore as they are worried people won't understand them. The BBC forecasts are better than most of the other channels though.

Ah for the days when Michael Fish (Who got me interested in this stuff) was on....

We have a thriving meteorological community through the various forums. By the way I saw an article recently from the USA where they were removing dew points from forecasts for the same reason.
0 likes   

Im_So_Depressed

#7 Postby Im_So_Depressed » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:08 pm

I saw a show on the BBC a few weeks ago about the weather, and the BBC mets were complaining that the British public didn't understand or really care about the weather as the American public does. That was the rationale for the BBC weather not showing the Jet Stream in its forecasts.

I don't think the American has ever understood dewpoints. Americans are much more comfortable with relative humidity and a simple explanation of will it be dry or humid/muggy.

The BBC is NOT as CNN is here. Everyone gets their weather from BBC over here. Isn't the national met office aligned with BBC in some fashion or another?
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby P.K. » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:33 pm

If you posted that on a UK forum you'd not be popular. :lol:

BBC weather presenters are all Met Office employed but as the contract the Met Office have is with the BBC they get the say on how it is presented.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”