Tropical Storm Ophelia

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tracyswfla
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#121 Postby tracyswfla » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 pm

Ophelia: The daughter to Polonius, Ophelia is loved by Hamlet. Unfortunately as Queen Gertrude laments at Ophelia's funeral, Ophelia never marries Hamlet. Dutiful to her father, she ignores Hamlet's romantic overtures when instructed to ignore them by her father Polonius. Receives advice on how to live from brother Laertes in Act I, Scene III. Though loved by Hamlet, Ophelia ultimately betrays him by spying on him for King Claudius. As a result Hamlet mercilessly insults her virtue during the play "The Murder of Gonzago" in Act III, Scene II. A dutiful daughter, Ophelia descends into madness from the grief of losing her father Polonius and later drowns in circumstances that suggest a possible suicide. Her funeral is the location of a fight between Hamlet and Laertes that centers on which loved her more; Hamlet believes he did, resenting Laertes exaggerated emphasis of his sorrow...
http://absoluteshakespeare.com/guides/hamlet/characters/characters.htm
0 likes   

sweetpea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby sweetpea » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 pm

Amanzi wrote:
sweetpea wrote:
HurricaneGirl wrote:
sponger wrote:Either way, this will be a huge rain even for Florida!
Holy Crap it's coming right for us! :eek:

Sure looks that way-that 8am Sat point is right over my head. Debbie

Debbie, do your self a favor, when the grannies here about this there is going to be a scramble for gas. I think people are going to be spooked because of all the images they have been watching on TV. I will decide tonight if I need a hotel res.. My house is on the barrier island on the A1A, so I get evacs first. I dont think this storm will be too scary for us (hey thats just my opinion!) Besides I still have a very very unsound roof from last year, so I take no chances with my kids and all the massive oak trees here. I learnt from last year, try be one step ahead of the crowd.

I seen what this was doing this morning at work. I left work at 12:30-stopped got water and candle and gas. I remember how they were last year. I am on the saltwater canal, so I get the mandatory evac too. I have never left though. I could see why you would be thinking of leaving though. I work in Flagler on the beach. As long as this doesn't go in the gulf I will be happy. Never thought I would feel like I am "wishcasting" but they definitely don't need this.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby Brent » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:50 pm

BULLETIN
TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIXTEEN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 1A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
2 PM EDT TUE SEP 06 2005

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION REMAINS POORLY ORGANIZED...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT THE EAST COAST OF FLORIDA FROM
NORTH OF JUPITER NORTHWARD TO TITUSVILLE INCLUDING MERRITT
ISLAND...AND FOR GRAND BAHAMA THE ABACOS...AND BIMINI.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIXTEEN WAS
ESTIMATED NEAR LATITUDE 26.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 78.6 WEST VERY NEAR
GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND AND ABOUT 180 MILES... 290 KM...SOUTHEAST OF
CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA.

THE DEPRESSION IS STATIONARY BUT A SLOW NORTH-NORTHWEST TRACK SHOULD
BEGIN LATER TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 30 MPH... 45 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. THE DEPRESSION COULD BECOME A TROPICAL STORM TONIGHT OR
WEDNESDAY. A NOAA RECONNAISSANCE PLANE IS CURRENTLY APPROACHING THE
DEPRESSION.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1007 MB...29.74 INCHES.

RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER
AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED IN PORTIONS OF FLORIDA AND THE
NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS.

REPEATING THE 2 PM EDT POSITION...26.5 N... 78.6 W. MOVEMENT
...STATIONARY. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS... 30 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL
PRESSURE...1007 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
5 PM EDT.

FORECASTER AVILA
0 likes   
#neversummer

Anonymous

#124 Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:53 pm

tracyswfla wrote:Ophelia: The daughter to Polonius, Ophelia is loved by Hamlet. Unfortunately as Queen Gertrude laments at Ophelia's funeral, Ophelia never marries Hamlet. Dutiful to her father, she ignores Hamlet's romantic overtures when instructed to ignore them by her father Polonius. Receives advice on how to live from brother Laertes in Act I, Scene III. Though loved by Hamlet, Ophelia ultimately betrays him by spying on him for King Claudius. As a result Hamlet mercilessly insults her virtue during the play "The Murder of Gonzago" in Act III, Scene II. A dutiful daughter, Ophelia descends into madness from the grief of losing her father Polonius and later drowns in circumstances that suggest a possible suicide. Her funeral is the location of a fight between Hamlet and Laertes that centers on which loved her more; Hamlet believes he did, resenting Laertes exaggerated emphasis of his sorrow...
http://absoluteshakespeare.com/guides/hamlet/characters/characters.htm

How come whenever I think of the name Ophelia...I think of Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places BAHAHAHA
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Amanzi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:54 pm

AAAAAAHHHH Hamlet.. thanks guys! I love Hamelet, cant believe I forgot that one. :lol:

Deb, We got a generator this year, I sure could have used it last year. We were stuck for close to two weeks with no power and my daughter was only a couple of months old. Not fun! I will not complain and will gladly take a ts if it does not go into the gulf!
0 likes   

seaswing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby seaswing » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:57 pm

Jacksonville.... looks as though you guys will not be let out of the tropical storm scenerio this year! you guys got the tails of the storms last year. Looks like you might get a big portion of this one.
0 likes   

Rainband

#127 Postby Rainband » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:00 pm

seaswing wrote:Jacksonville.... looks as though you guys will not be let out of the tropical storm scenerio this year! you guys got the tails of the storms last year. Looks like you might get a big portion of this one.
This is going to be a hard one to forecast. Weak steering currents and from what I have seen.. The first area in the bullseye usually isn't the landfall point. Hopefully this goes fishing. Like we need another storm in the US.
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 pm

:eek:
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby Steve H. » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:11 pm

IMHO, TD #16 is looking terrible. This morning it looked like rapid intensification was going to take placeand we'd have Ophelia by now, but that is fading. Wonder if it will pulse up again??
0 likes   

DoctorHurricane2003

#130 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:14 pm

16L is most likely under the influence of diurnal minima and maxima.
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:18 pm

DoctorHurricane2003 wrote:16L is most likely under the influence of diurnal minima and maxima.

Help me out Dr..
0 likes   

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

#132 Postby shaggy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:19 pm

hate to sound like i am wishcasting but we could really use a mediocre tropical system right now we are VERY DRY here in NC could use a good soaking maybe we will catch some remnants of 16 at some point!On the plus side the weather has been great here the last week or 2
0 likes   

deltadog03
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#133 Postby deltadog03 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:20 pm

HOT!!! off the presses...LOL...12z Euro......not looking good.... :cry: this run also shows a stronger system...today there is color associated with the surface low...

0 likes   

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#134 Postby jdray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:20 pm

seaswing wrote:Jacksonville.... looks as though you guys will not be let out of the tropical storm scenerio this year! you guys got the tails of the storms last year. Looks like you might get a big portion of this one.

We had enough last year with 3+ days of wind/rain with Frances and then 2+ with Jeanne.

Being without power 3 days, phone a week.....

It doesnt take a direct hit to affect one if the storm is big enough.
0 likes   

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#135 Postby jdray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:21 pm

deltadog03 wrote:HOT!!! off the presses...LOL...12z Euro......not looking good.... :cry: this run also shows a stronger system...today there is color associated with the surface low...

Euro has a HUGE westward bias with tropical systems.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby Canelaw99 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:21 pm

deltadog03 wrote:HOT!!! off the presses...LOL...12z Euro......not looking good.... :cry: this run also shows a stronger system...today there is color associated with the surface low...

My question is where does the Euro show it getting across FL?
0 likes   

deltadog03
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#137 Postby deltadog03 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:23 pm

they, may....but, it NAILED katrina....3-5 days out....sorry, I am sticking with it right now....it has shown the same thing for 2 days now...it shows it going over the central/southern part of FL
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Canelaw99 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:25 pm

TY delta - north of Miami I hope...we don't need more rain right now :wink:
0 likes   

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby Skywatch_NC » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:27 pm

ncdowneast wrote:hate to sound like i am wishcasting but we could really use a mediocre tropical system right now we are VERY DRY here in NC could use a good soaking maybe we will catch some remnants of 16 at some point!On the plus side the weather has been great here the last week or 2

And I read on the Martinsville_Weather (Kevin) site today that according to models the next chance of rain at least here in NC may not be until Sept. 15th.
0 likes   

frankthetank
Category 2
Category 2

#140 Postby frankthetank » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:27 pm

nevermind the 123...here's the "WESTWARD" bias of the Euro 7days out with Katrina...Not!

0 likes   

Return to “2005”