#1621 Postby SFLcane » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:34 pm

Can anybody justify why Ian is moving almost due north right now? NNW
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1622 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:36 pm

CronkPSU wrote:maybe the NHC and every model will get it wrong but I am thinking a lot of these posts about how it will never develop and why is it so weak will look pretty silly in 24 hours....it has more than enough time and favorable conditions to get to Cat 4

I remember the last time NHC was firmly bullish very far out in time for a potentially dangerous storm's capacities. Some individuals doubted the NHC' forecasts, and thought the respective storm would not be able to strengthen beyond a Cat 3... but as we all know now, such doubts aged like milk.

That storm...was 2021's Hurricane Ida. :roll:
9 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1623 Postby aspen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Stormcenter wrote:Would be great if Ian never gets it’s act together.

There’s a decent chance that happens. Then the models would pretty much lose all credibility this year…but then again, they still haven’t been great — everything about Bonnie, so many August phantoms, Euro correcting to the GFS’s tracks, nothing developing Fiona until it was 48 hours away from being named, etc
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#1624 Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:37 pm

SFLcane wrote:Can anybody justify why Ian is moving almost due north right now? NNW

Recon is heading in now, looks like a Bee line for the tip of Cuba but could be a stair step.
2 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1625 Postby jlauderdal » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:40 pm

SFLcane wrote:Can anybody justify why Ian is moving almost due north right now? NNW

Yes, it found a path of least resistance, probably short term, too much recon in the system now for a large-scale change to happen without them knowing it in advance.
1 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#1626 Postby CFLHurricane » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:40 pm

sponger wrote:That looked like a fairly substantial North jog on vis!

The GFS hates this one trick!

But seriously, I think this storm is bamboozling a lot of conventional cyclone wisdom and needs to be watched until the very end. The track so far is favoring the east side of the cone and I’d it expect it to continue with the extended struggle.
4 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

skillz305
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1627 Postby skillz305 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:44 pm

5pm should be interesting. Wonder if they nudge the cone eastward, per TVCN.
1 likes   
:flag:Hurricanes: Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Katrina 2005 - Wilma 2005 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

Jelmergraaff
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1628 Postby Jelmergraaff » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:45 pm

Of course premature, but near the center there's a tower poping lower than -80 Celsius. Not seen yet if I'm right. Who knows...

6 likes   
20-year old meteorologist from The Netherlands. Interested in all fields of meteorology, including tropical systems like hurricanes.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1629 Postby skyline385 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:45 pm

very likely a temporary jog or wobble, I doubt most systems follow the NHC forecast to a line...
2 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1630 Postby CronkPSU » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:46 pm

skillz305 wrote:5pm should be interesting. Wonder if they nudge the cone eastward, per TVCN.

absolutely...not too much but if trends continue then a bigger move at 11PM
1 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1631 Postby SteveM » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:46 pm

A hint of convection starting to burst near the centre. Let's see if that does anything.
2 likes   

Coolcruiseman
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1632 Postby Coolcruiseman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:46 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
CronkPSU wrote:maybe the NHC and every model will get it wrong but I am thinking a lot of these posts about how it will never develop and why is it so weak will look pretty silly in 24 hours....it has more than enough time and favorable conditions to get to Cat 4

I remember the last time NHC was firmly bullish very far out in time for a potentially dangerous storm's capacities. Some individuals doubted the NHC' forecasts, and thought the respective storm would not be able to strengthen beyond a Cat 3... but as we all know now, such doubts aged like milk.

I've seen mention of WIlma if I recall on this thread. Was that storm not in the same general area when it intensified 100 mph in 24 hours once it got the act together?
2 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1633 Postby SFLcane » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:46 pm

skyline385 wrote:

very likely a temporary jog or wobble, most systems don't follow the NHC forecast to a line...

Obviously no tc travels in a straight line lol but that’s a heck of a wobble.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1634 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Coolcruiseman wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

I've seen mention of WIlma if I recall on this thread. Was that storm not in the same general area when it intensified 100 mph in 24 hours once it got the act together?

Neither of those systems were even remotely close to struggling with convection the way Ian is. In fact Wilma formed deep within in a West Pacific-esque monsoon trough.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1635 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:49 pm

What seems to be missing with Ian is a good circular outflow pattern. Other than the SW end there really isn't much established outflow. Mission 11 is in the air to go investigate Ian
Last edited by ScottNAtlanta on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1636 Postby Blown Away » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:52 pm

skillz305 wrote:5pm should be interesting. Wonder if they nudge the cone eastward, per TVCN.

NHC normally subtle changes, but the GFS cave and the current N movement of Ian E of the 11am track, maybe they are a bit more aggressive.
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1637 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Hammy wrote:
Coolcruiseman wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Neither of those systems were even remotely close to struggling with convection the way Ian is. In fact Wilma formed deep within in a West Pacific-esque monsoon trough.

WILMA OCT 17

WILMA OCT 18

Every storm has to start somewhere. Ian was blasted by Fiona's outflow for days. If this was just now forming the conversation might be different.
10 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1638 Postby Teban54 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:54 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:What seems to be missing with Ian is a good circular outflow pattern. Other than the SW end there really isn't much established outflow. Mission 11 is in the air to go investigate Ian

Funny enough, its outflow was actually great about 24 hours ago when the circulations weren't stacked yet.
6 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1639 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Wonder if they'll drop the peak intensity to mid-range Cat 3. Given we're in late September and we're going to have frontal interaction that wasn't present with more recent years this time of year, this won't have the opportunity to strengthen all the way to the coast.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1640 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm waiting for that one big convection bomb near the center...it's coming, just a matter of when.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2022”