ATL: IAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#6061 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:43 am

I can't confirm this, but Ian may have produced snowfall in the mountains of North Carolina.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#6062 Postby skyline385 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:45 am

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6063 Postby toad strangler » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:49 am

SecondBreakfast wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/us/hurricane-ian-lee-county-fort-myers-delay.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Pretty damning assessment of Lee County officials’ actions/inactions here…

Subscription only access. Oh well.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6064 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:52 am

skyline385 wrote:Aftermath video from Reed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOUnv8huw7A

Him saying goodbye to his Dominator car was very poignant, ngl
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6065 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:53 am

toad strangler wrote:
SecondBreakfast wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/us/hurricane-ian-lee-county-fort-myers-delay.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

A little trick: I can't speak for Edge or Chrome but in Firefox, click on "reader view" (the little page icon at the right edge of the address bar) then refresh the page and you can see the whole article.
4 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6066 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:53 am

9 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#6067 Postby skyline385 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:58 am

toad strangler wrote:

Here's a gift link from my sub, should be accessible to anyone who uses it

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/us/hurricane-ian-lee-county-fort-myers-delay.html?unlocked_article_code=nwSRS-bsAxIIBs2NQ0lcHNqYzTurYuv4y_4U-qpm7TeB3byH3Cb0mV_AC_OhNneX874afZl9ShaNirIUKxO9yAHLwxp7D_9QdAZTlnAy0Z4f-SHmo8EyuSJghj5vbHcG603UXSRUY8RVqZ2c0YYgh4JyFsqtBPxTIzTWhxZgIp_stUxumdq_jw9W1rlRi6LKBWAkjR4Vv9PR5TptgGK4U1qPOBC9bwAiLpDOldZCmO-Gtl1oLoXQkrHvtAoKb_iqxG2TimV8j2-2Imt57iFRUC3IMSHoWXgoS7T3l3QxXmOilouy5JJPnXOcIN5AwZ-tZNxFVLLrhiWZZM7JDsv8UcAT0n8w1QwUZyhvh8pc_w&smid=share-url
10 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6068 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:23 am

toad strangler wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I remember even early this season and throughout 2021's and 2020's hurricane seasons, how many South Floridians, including those on the west coast, have frequently raved about how lucky they have been with the "Florida Shield" in particular. Ian imho was such a frightening and incredible storm as it basically shattered the "Florida Shield" concept to pieces and really demonstrated how luck can only go so far to protect people from hurricanes.

I also applaud wxman57 for his early warnings that Florida was at an elevated risk of a major storm this year. With the persistent East Coast troughing this year, imho, it was really only a matter of time before something took advantage of that and the warm ssts to really blow up and recurve northward toward the Florida vicinity. Ian unfortunately did just that.

The Florida shield was a completely tongue in cheek thing. At least it was for me. I refuse to believe anybody actually believed that side banter.

As for ‘57, he pretty much nailed where this storm was going right from his first post on it and never waffled under the pressure of the model huggers.

No, no one was correct early on but 57 was closer and quicker as the storm evolved and models came into more agreement (except the GFS). The issue is, when the correction happened, what did Lee County do.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6069 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:22 am

Here’s an article from Washington Post showing how Ian ranks among Florida storms. It’s too early to know the death toll. And it’s too early to know the financial losses. Other sources have estimates between $50-75B, but it will be several weeks until we know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... g-florida/
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6070 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 am

Current ratings on the Southern Florida Hurricane Ian Outbreak.

NE Monroe County: EFU
Western to NW Miami-Dade: EFU
NW Broward County: EFU
Pembroke Pines: EF1
Hollywood-Davie: EF0
Delray Beach: EF2
Wellington (1st Tornado): EF1
Wellington (2nd Tornado): EF1
Moore Haven: EF0
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6071 Postby Teban54 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:02 am

3 likes   

typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6072 Postby typhoonty » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:24 am

tolakram wrote:Damn, that is a brutal assessment. Most importantly they violated their own rules. They were looking at modeling AND violating their own risk rules. That is a really ugly situation.

I can tell you every word of this is true. And that's why I said the NHC not issuing a hurricane watch for any county in the Fort Myers DMA was catastrophic. Caused the delay.
0 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6073 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:45 am

typhoonty wrote:
tolakram wrote:Damn, that is a brutal assessment. Most importantly they violated their own rules. They were looking at modeling AND violating their own risk rules. That is a really ugly situation.

I can tell you every word of this is true. And that's why I said the NHC not issuing a hurricane watch for any county in the Fort Myers DMA was catastrophic. Caused the delay.

It might have delayed public concern, but it had no bearing on emergency officials enacting a plan. The article states that the plan is set into effect if there is a 10% chance or greater of a >6ft storm surge. As Eric Blake’s tweet says above, storm surge warnings were issued 42 hours in advance. That’s not a ton of time, but it’s not no time either. It’s one thing to blame the NHC for putting out maps that not enough of the public understand, and not updating them. But local emergency officials are obligated to know what these mean and prescribe public action based on them.
6 likes   

typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6074 Postby typhoonty » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:06 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
typhoonty wrote:

It might have delayed public concern, but it had no bearing on emergency officials enacting a plan. The article states that the plan is set into effect if there is a 10% chance or greater of a >6ft storm surge. As Eric Blake’s tweet says above, storm surge warnings were issued 42 hours in advance. That’s not a ton of time, but it’s not no time either. It’s one thing to blame the NHC for putting out maps that not enough of the public understand, and not updating them. But local emergency officials are obligated to know what these mean and prescribe public action based on them.

I still think the emergency management officials didn't understand that you can have storm surge without a hurricaane warning, and wanted to wait until they were under one to make sure that the evacuation orders weren't frivolous. They likely didn't think storm surge could happen with a TS Warning/ H Watch because we've been hit by 3 major hurricanes in Collier and Lee in the last 18 years and hadn't had a major storm surge event. (Charley, Wilma, Irma)

It's definitely more Lee County EM's fault, but I think that is what happened because evacs were issued 2 hours after the Hurricane warning issuance, and ~24 hours before the surge happened.
3 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6075 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:14 pm

typhoonty wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
typhoonty wrote:

I still think the emergency management officials didn't understand that you can have storm surge without a hurricaane warning, and wanted to wait until they were under one to make sure that the evacuation orders weren't frivolous. They likely didn't think storm surge could happen with a TS Warning/ H Watch because we've been hit by 3 major hurricanes in Collier and Lee in the last 18 years and hadn't had a major storm surge event. (Charley, Wilma, Irma)

It's definitely more Lee County EM's fault, but I think that is what happened because evacs were issued 2 hours after the Hurricane warning issuance, and ~24 hours before the surge happened.

That alone is damning, it’s their job to know that. Before hurricane watches were issued, the storm surge graphics showed surge for Lee county exceeding the minimum criteria for their action plan to be enacted, even when the forecast track was north of Tampa. The NHC also made it clear in every advisory discussion back to before Cuba landfall that small deviations east or west would have significant implications on landfall location. I’m with you on the hurricane watches, I think those should have been extended to the south tip of the peninsula, personally. But the local officials ought to know this, it’s not this area’s first time dealing with a hurricane.
5 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6076 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:18 pm

typhoonty wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
typhoonty wrote:

Doesn't matter, they went against the documented plan. The reason they delayed? Because they had been under warnings before only to have things not turn out as bad. You want warnings earlier, but people behave differently. Don't kid yourself into thinking there's an easy solution here. Had they followed their plan people would have been given evacuation orders.
8 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6077 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:29 pm

Just to document it here, 5AM Tuesday was when warnings were extended south.

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6078 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:43 pm

tolakram wrote:
typhoonty wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:It might have delayed public concern, but it had no bearing on emergency officials enacting a plan. The article states that the plan is set into effect if there is a 10% chance or greater of a >6ft storm surge. As Eric Blake’s tweet says above, storm surge warnings were issued 42 hours in advance. That’s not a ton of time, but it’s not no time either. It’s one thing to blame the NHC for putting out maps that not enough of the public understand, and not updating them. But local emergency officials are obligated to know what these mean and prescribe public action based on them.

Doesn't matter, they went against the documented plan. The reason they delayed? Because they had been under warnings before only to have things not turn out as bad. You want warnings earlier, but people behave differently. Don't kid yourself into thinking there's an easy solution here. Had they followed their plan people would have been given evacuation orders.

There is a possibility that they expected Ian to go along the NNE track and the worst impacts to be closer to Sarasota and Tampa, but the storm consistently deviated to the east of the NHC track. Which was why Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, and Sanibel got the worst of Ian.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6079 Postby Teban54 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:46 pm

0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6080 Postby Teban54 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:48 pm

0 likes