"vort" terminology for peeps uncertain of which word to use

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AJC3
Admin
Admin

"vort" terminology for peeps uncertain of which word to use

#1 Postby AJC3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am

Without getting into the scientific nuts and bolts, here is a 50-cent explanation of terms...

vorticity is a meteorological parameter, a measure of storm-relative cyclonic spin.
vort, vortex, or vortmax all refer to a localized center of maximum storm relative cyclonic spin (vorticity).
vortices is the plural of vortex.
vortice and vorticy are words that don't exist.

Using the phrase "a vorticity" is analogous to saying "a moisture".

Carry on... :-)
0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

Re: "vort" terminology for peeps uncertain of which word to use

#2 Postby 'CaneFreak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am

YES! :lol: I love it. This is great. In my opinion, it should be pinned.

AJC3 wrote:Without getting into the scientific nuts and bolts, here is a 50-cent explanation of terms...

vorticity is a meteorological parameter, a measure of storm-relative cyclonic spin.
vort, vortex, or vortmax all refer to a localized center of maximum storm relative cyclonic spin (vorticity).
vortices is the plural of vortex.
vortice and vorticy are words that don't exist.

Using the phrase "a vorticity" is analogous to saying "a moisture".

Carry on..
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby thetruesms » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 pm

AJC3 wrote:vortice and vorticy are words that don't exist.

Carry on..

All you needed for this post to be a winner was this part :lol: Everything else is just gravy
1 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby AJC3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:25 pm

thetruesms wrote:
AJC3 wrote:vortice and vorticy are words that don't exist.

Carry on..
All you needed for this post to be a winner was this part :lol: Everything else is just gravy

One of the former mets in our office did the same thing with "Heat Index". We would mention the plural, "Heat Indices", in our products, and he would take that and come up with "heat indice" as the singular form. :lol:
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm

I know this isn't exactly the thread for it, but I think another terminology correction to make would be:

lightning, not lightening

:D
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby AdamFirst » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you for that - I had posted in a models thread a couple weeks back and noticed my "vorticity" had been stealth edited to "vortmax" - I assumed that was the correct word and now I know why
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

galveston-d
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby galveston-d » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you for this. As a newbie here (although I have been lurking for years), I would love guidance to books or even something on here that gave basic definitions - especially of abbreviations and terminology people use in Model and Discussion areas of the board. I have figured - over time - most of them out (ah Google), but it would be great to have a guide.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby abajan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:34 pm

galveston-d wrote:Thank you for this. As a newbie here (although I have been lurking for years), ,.I would love guidance to books or even something on here that gave basic definitions - especially of abbreviations and terminology people use in Model and Discussion areas of the board. I have figured - over time - most of them out (ah Google), but it would be great to have a guide.

Pretty sure there's such a section on Storm2K, but I don't recall where it's located.
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby flamingosun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:18 pm

This may or may not be the place to ask, but I keep seeing the abbreviation PV. Does that stand for (something) Vortex, and if so, what is the P for?
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby NotSparta » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 am

flamingosun wrote:This may or may not be the place to ask, but I keep seeing the abbreviation PV. Does that stand for (something) Vortex, and if so, what is the P for?

Potential vorticity, usually it's used as a measure for TUTTs, and usually +PV areas cause wind shear
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby flamingosun » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm

NotSparta wrote:
flamingosun wrote:This may or may not be the place to ask, but I keep seeing the abbreviation PV. Does that stand for (something) Vortex, and if so, what is the P for?

Potential vorticity, usually it's used as a measure for TUTTs, and usually +PV areas cause wind shear

Thank you!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”