EPAC: BONNIE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#381 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am

Count me slightly underwhelmed that this wave that tried to develop off Africa takes until it’s all the way in the Western Caribbean to finally develop. Though it is still only June.
5 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#382 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 am

Maybe Bonnie?

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#383 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 am

With PTC2 still not having developed, Wxman57 really knows his stuff. It should develop today though.
Edit. It has developed
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#384 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:14 am

Kingarabian wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
aspen wrote:If PTC2 is ever going to become anything significant before landfall or have a chance of surviving its crossover into the EPac, it needs to develop convection over its LLC fast. It’s possibly classifiable, but in a very poor state right now.

It probably will in the next few hours as it pulls away from land, that llc has really tightened up overnight. That said, if it doesn’t start firing by evening I’d say the chances of this reaching cat1 are next to none.

DMAX will make or break this system for good.

DMAX is in the morning over the ocean if I recall correctly, DMIN is right at sunset.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#385 Postby kevin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am

It's about time (I mean it feels like we've already been waiting for this to get named for 2 weeks), but that recent recon pass should finally be enough to get Bonnie.
1 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#386 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am

Yeah looks like it finally made it.

Can you imagine how many of these systems we've tracked over the years that take days and days to develop?
0 likes   

MBryant
Category 1
Category 1

#387 Postby MBryant » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:09 pm

I'm a bit confused since I'm just getting back into the new season, but what is the one at the south Texas coast called? It appears the one off the South American coast is receiving the most attention. But after Allison, I treat any tropical system this close to shore as important. It's currently the Orange X.
0 likes   
Living at the intersection of Rita and Humberto and Ike and Harvey and Laura and Delta!

This post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological products.

KirbyDude25
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#388 Postby KirbyDude25 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm

MBryant wrote:I'm a bit confused since I'm just getting back into the new season, but what is the one at the south Texas coast called? It appears the one off the South American coast is receiving the most attention. But after Allison, I treat any tropical system this close to shore as important. It's currently the Orange X.

Its official name is Invest 95L. It's currently not expected to develop, but it'll still bring some rain and wind.
1 likes   
New Jersey, Rutgers '27
Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Fay 2020 | Isaias 2020 | Ida 2021

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#389 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm

MBryant wrote:I'm a bit confused since I'm just getting back into the new season, but what is the one at the south Texas coast called? It appears the one off the South American coast is receiving the most attention. But after Allison, I treat any tropical system this close to shore as important. It's currently the Orange X.

That one is Invest 95L - there's a separate thread for that disturbance as it attempts to develop before coming ashore later tonight/early tomorrow.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#390 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:24 pm

This is the story of PTC2 in a nutshell, the way I see it:

Dry air/moisture levels: +
Low wind shear: +
Warm ssts: +

Therefore, it should become a decent hurricane in the Caribbean!

Trade winds and very strong high pressure to the north be like:
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#391 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

We have a thread for every active disturbance. That one is 95L and the discussion is in this thread: https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopi ... &start=120
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#392 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 pm

What the plane found was similar to what the plane found in the NW Gulf yesterday, a weak disorganized center with no squalls anywhere near it. No upgrade from the NHC this hour, and they saw the recon data. I don't know that it qualifies for an upgrade yet. Maybe tonight. I'm still thinking that there is no threat to the Gulf of Mexico. Back to working on the next advisory.
2 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#393 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 pm

Even if this system might have a closed low now, there is little to no convection going on with no sign of any flaring up at the moment. Also it's supposed to slow down but there seems to be no sign of that happening right now.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#394 Postby psyclone » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:54 pm

We need a PTC shot clock. 48 hours. that's the whole point. Any PTC not whelped into a full scale TC within the 48 hour window needs to be designated "the disturbance previously known as PTC 2". Or perhaps a potential PTC. I like that one too.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#395 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:02 pm

This has been a very annoying season so far with Alex and now PTC-2. It’s taking forever for these systems to develop, and model intensity (and to a lesser extent track) has not verified well at all. I remember some models were showing PTC-2 to be several degrees further east today than it is now, and intensification has kept on being pushed back for the last week. PTC days will probably exceed actual named storm days until things kick into gear in August.

Not sure why PTC-2 isn’t developing convection despite pulling away from land (inflow shouldn’t be hindered as much) and remaining in a moist, warm environment.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#396 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 pm

aspen wrote:This has been a very annoying season so far with Alex and now PTC-2. It’s taking forever for these systems to develop, and model intensity (and to a lesser extent track) has not verified well at all. I remember some models were showing PTC-2 to be several degrees further east today than it is now, and intensification has kept on being pushed back for the last week. PTC days will probably exceed actual named storm days until things kick into gear in August.

Not sure why PTC-2 isn’t developing convection despite pulling away from land (inflow shouldn’t be hindered as much) and remaining in a moist, warm environment.

Is moving too fast to have convergence.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#397 Postby Hammy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:06 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:With PTC2 still not having developed, Wxman57 really knows his stuff. It should develop today though.
Edit. It has developed

Still a disturbance as of 2pm and not enough organization for upgrade. Certainly not something I'd put in my advisories if not for the PTC designation.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#398 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:14 pm

aspen wrote:This has been a very annoying season so far with Alex and now PTC-2. It’s taking forever for these systems to develop, and model intensity (and to a lesser extent track) has not verified well at all. I remember some models were showing PTC-2 to be several degrees further east today than it is now, and intensification has kept on being pushed back for the last week. PTC days will probably exceed actual named storm days until things kick into gear in August.

I can remember some very similar comments in the early 2017 season. Careful what you wish for, haha.

Should see convection getting into the core in a few hours. As you mentioned, a lot of the inflow will be moving offshore soon, but also, the inflow over land should start moistening as daytime heating fires off diurnal convection. Already starting to see that now.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#399 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:

I can remember some very similar comments in the early 2017 season. Careful what you wish for, haha.

Should see convection getting into the core in a few hours. As you mentioned, a lot of the inflow will be moving offshore soon, but also, the inflow over land should start moistening as daytime heating fires off diurnal convection. Already starting to see that now.

...and the 2004 season, which had the first named storm July 31.
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#400 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:56 pm

A. 02L (NONAME)

B. 30/1730Z

C. 12.3N

D. 74.8W

E. THREE/GOES-E

F. T1.0/1.5

G. IR/EIR/SWIR/VIS

H. REMARKS...GREATER THAN 2/10 BANDING YIELDS A DT OF 1.0. THE MET AND
PT AGREE BASED ON A SLOW WEAKENING TREND OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS. FT
IS BASED ON MET SINCE CONVECTION AND BANDING IS NOT CLEAR CUT. CI IS
ADJUSTED BASED ON REANALYSIS.

I. ADDL POSITIONS

NIL

...COVERDALE
1 likes   

Return to “2022”