EPAC: BONNIE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#221 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:40 pm

That's a pretty bullish first forecast there from NHC considering this is a late June/early July storm, which is concerning to me because usually their initial forecasts for most storms are on the conservative side. Looks like there will be a fine line between this getting tangled up in SA or getting far enough north to potentially get something going.
Last edited by ElectricStorm on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#222 Postby Visioen » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 pm

Jelmergraaff wrote:

Hey, I'm back after some time. I have been following everything for a bit and I'm quite surprised the NHC is already forecasting it to get to hurricane strength. Even if it's just because of the rarity of these storms (time of year in combination with the region of development). It would be quite spectacular.

Yesterday I had to work and wrote an article about it for a Dutch weather websit. Got some nice responses, even many of the weather amateurs here didn't know tropical storms developing in this area in June are rare. https://www.weer.nl/nieuws/2022/waarschijnlijk-zeldzame-tropische-depressie-op-de-atlantische-oceaan

Awesome, first time I get to read a linked article in Dutch! :D
Goed gedaan man!
1 likes   

Zonacane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#223 Postby Zonacane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:02 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Since there's no well defined LLC and its possibly two broad circulations rotating around each other, the track might shift.

Hopefully, we don't get the same kind of northerly reformation that doomed us for Dorian
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:35 pm

Slowly getting there. Bonnie will be an interesting one to track for sure.
5 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#225 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:That's a pretty bullish first forecast there from NHC considering this is a late June/early July storm, which is concerning to me because usually their initial forecasts for most storms are on the conservative side. Looks like there will be a fine line between this getting tangled up in SA or getting far enough north to potentially get something going.

Pretty reasonable IMO. The Caribbean doesn't look hostile. If it can keep off SA it has a chance.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#226 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:51 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:https://i.imgur.com/EJHpZ6B.jpg

Looks like is gaining some latitude.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#227 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:https://i.imgur.com/EJHpZ6B.jpg

Looks like is gaining some latitude.

It will be for the next 24 hours at least. How high north is the big question since after that, most models push it west or even west-south-west.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#228 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:09 pm

NE lobe is looking convectively active this evening. Much more than the southern one.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

hipshot
Category 1
Category 1

#229 Postby hipshot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Kingarabian wrote:NE lobe is looking convectively active this evening. Much more than the southern one.
https://i.imgur.com/kauAtyW.gif

What is that narrow stream of clouds headed northeast from Puerto Rico, that sucker is moving (the jet stream?)
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#230 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:54 pm

tolakram wrote:I'm surprised at expected hurricane strength. They have the better modeling tools that maybe shows something we can't see. Latest euro shows a quick crossover into the EPAC, which is interesting.

I am somewhat surprised at that forecast for 65 kts. Only the GFS is indicating any significant development. I don't know if it'll close off an LLC until it gets near 75W. It may produce 35-40 kt winds north of the track, much of that due to the 20kt west movement. I dropped our forecast from my preliminary 50 kts last night to a max of 45 kts on the first advisory. I'm not convinced it'll ever really get going. Things can blow up quickly in the SW Caribbean as low-level easterlies decrease.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#231 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:55 pm

hipshot wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:NE lobe is looking convectively active this evening. Much more than the southern one.
https://i.imgur.com/kauAtyW.gif

What is that narrow stream of clouds headed northeast from Puerto Rico, that sucker is moving (the jet stream?)

Yes, the jet stream. That'll be what the disturbance behind PTC Two is heading for this weekend, which is why development chances are low.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#232 Postby Hurricane Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 pm

0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#233 Postby skyline385 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:21 pm

wxman57 wrote:
tolakram wrote:I'm surprised at expected hurricane strength. They have the better modeling tools that maybe shows something we can't see. Latest euro shows a quick crossover into the EPAC, which is interesting.

I am somewhat surprised at that forecast for 65 kts. Only the GFS is indicating any significant development. I don't know if it'll close off an LLC until it gets near 75W. It may produce 35-40 kt winds north of the track, much of that due to the 20kt west movement. I dropped our forecast from my preliminary 50 kts last night to a max of 45 kts on the first advisory. I'm not convinced it'll ever really get going. Things can blow up quickly in the SW Caribbean as low-level easterlies decrease.

The hurricane models have been pretty bullish for a while and seeing how HMON was the most accurate model last year intensity wise, it probably carried a good weight in intensity estimate.
0 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#234 Postby WiscoWx02 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 pm

wxman57 wrote:

I’m starting to think nothing really comes out of this either. I’ve always been kinda skeptical given the time of year but given that PTC2 is really disorganized still based on most recent satellite imagery and recon earlier today. Don’t see this being designated tomorrow or maybe even Wednesday at this point. Wouldn’t even be shocked if disruption of organization due to South America could prevent it from developing altogether but who knows, this is not anywhere near your typical situation for this time of year.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#235 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm

I did not expect this, PTC 2 already! I expected it to become Bonnie after is crosses the Leeward Islands.

Could become the first ATL-EPAC crossover since Otto in 2016, but we need to wait and see on that part.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#236 Postby skyline385 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm

1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#237 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:58 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

I’m starting to think nothing really comes out of this either. I’ve always been kinda skeptical given the time of year but given that PTC2 is really disorganized still based on most recent satellite imagery and recon earlier today. Don’t see this being designated tomorrow or maybe even Wednesday at this point. Wouldn’t even be shocked if disruption of organization due to South America could prevent it from developing altogether but who knows, this is not anywhere near your typical situation for this time of year.

Well, the thing is, the general consensus (that has also been consistent for a while) is that the Caribbean is expected to generally have low shear, and just because it looks disheveled right now does not mean that it will stay this way, especially considering DMAX is approaching. It's also ever so slightly seemingly gaining latitude, and direct strikes on South America from tropical systems are not very common in general. I personally would be very surprised if this failed to even form as you said, although I'm also not expecting something crazy like a Cat 4 Iota repeat lol
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#238 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:01 pm

Latest BT, gaining slightly more latitude

02L TWO 220628 0000 8.5N 52.0W ATL 35 1009
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#239 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Well, the thing is, the general consensus (that has also been consistent for a while) is that the Caribbean is expected to generally have low shear, and just because it looks disheveled right now does not mean that it will stay this way, especially considering DMAX is approaching. It's also ever so slightly seemingly gaining latitude, and direct strikes on South America from tropical systems are not very common in general. I personally would be very surprised if this failed to even form as you said, although I'm also not expecting something crazy like a Cat 4 Iota repeat lol

Shear will decrease over the next month. Currently, the issue is the acceleration westward as it nears the Caribbean and proximity to South America. Once it moves past 75W, the low-level easterly trades drop off a good bit, allowing for low-level convergence to increase. Should be a relatively small storm, so it could strengthen quickly in the western Caribbean.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#240 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Well, the thing is, the general consensus (that has also been consistent for a while) is that the Caribbean is expected to generally have low shear, and just because it looks disheveled right now does not mean that it will stay this way, especially considering DMAX is approaching. It's also ever so slightly seemingly gaining latitude, and direct strikes on South America from tropical systems are not very common in general. I personally would be very surprised if this failed to even form as you said, although I'm also not expecting something crazy like a Cat 4 Iota repeat lol

Shear will decrease over the next month. Currently, the issue is the acceleration westward as it nears the Caribbean and proximity to South America. Once it moves past 75W, the low-level easterly trades drop off a good bit, allowing for low-level convergence to increase. Should be a relatively small storm, so it could strengthen quickly in the western Caribbean.

I think the issue for it would be land proximity. The globals keep it weak mainly for that reason. If some of the hurricane models solutions verify in keeping the center a 100/150 miles off the coast it may stack up in the Caribbean.

SHIPS gives this a 26% chance at gaining another 25kts in the next 24 hours. Nearly 20% chance in becoming a hurricane within 72 hours.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “2022”