InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#441 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 am

Finds a hurricane lol
This is a joke^
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#442 Postby NDG » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:56 am

Looks to have a true closed circulation per recon to finally be classified, about time :cheesy:
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#443 Postby USTropics » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:59 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Finds a hurricane lol
This is a joke^

Lol no hurricane, but enough evidence to upgrade to TS Bonnie imo. Still rather broad and could use some tightening up:
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: BONNIE - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#444 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:19 am

Tropical Storm Bonnie Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL022022
915 AM EDT Fri Jul 01 2022

...DISTURBANCE BECOMES A TROPICAL STORM...

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that the disturbance has now become Tropical Storm Bonnie over the
southwestern Caribbean Sea with maximum winds of 40 mph (65 km/h).

SUMMARY OF 915 AM EDT...1315 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...11.2N 80.5W
ABOUT 230 MI...370 KM ESE OF BLUEFIELDS NICARAGUA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 260 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB...29.68 INCHES
5 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#445 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:40 am

Finally!
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#446 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:45 am

2 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#447 Postby FireRat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:01 am

Wow about time this got named! :lol:
Talk about the nick of time, this storm was trolling us for over a week now!
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Jelmergraaff
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#448 Postby Jelmergraaff » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 am

Maybe I've missed it, but as Bonnie seems to keep it's name when moving into the Pacific, will the strength there also count for the Atlantic season. So if it for example becomes a hurricane after passing over Central America and emerging in the Pacific, will Bonnie also become a hurricane for the Atlantic season? I guess the same holds for ACE?
Last edited by Jelmergraaff on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
20-year old meteorologist from The Netherlands. Interested in all fields of meteorology, including tropical systems like hurricanes.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#449 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 am

15 advisory cycles at a PTC…let’s see if anything else this year tries to surpass that record.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Jelmergraaff
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#450 Postby Jelmergraaff » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:10 am

aspen wrote:15 advisory cycles at a PTC…let’s see if anything else this year tries to surpass that record.

Well, I thought Alex already was exeptional... :wink:
0 likes   
20-year old meteorologist from The Netherlands. Interested in all fields of meteorology, including tropical systems like hurricanes.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#451 Postby FireRat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:16 am

Jelmergraaff wrote:Maybe I've missed it, but as Bonnie seems to keep it's name when moving into the Pacific, will the strength there also count for the Atlantic season. So if it for example becomes a hurricane after passing over Central America and emerging in the Pacific, will Bonnie also become a hurricane for the Atlantic season? I guess the same holds for ACE?

Good question, I doubt that would be the case, once Bonnie crosses over, assuming it survives central America, the ACE should begin counting for the EPAC. It would be funny if Bonnie became a major in the Epac and robs the atlantic some ACE. I would also think the hurricane tally goes to the EPAC, or both basins if somehow Bonnie achieves hurricane intensity today
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Jelmergraaff
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#452 Postby Jelmergraaff » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:22 am

FireRat wrote:
Jelmergraaff wrote:Maybe I've missed it, but as Bonnie seems to keep it's name when moving into the Pacific, will the strength there also count for the Atlantic season. So if it for example becomes a hurricane after passing over Central America and emerging in the Pacific, will Bonnie also become a hurricane for the Atlantic season? I guess the same holds for ACE?

Good question, I doubt that would be the case, once Bonnie crosses over, assuming it survives central America, the ACE should begin counting for the EPAC. It would be funny if Bonnie became a major in the Epac and robs the atlantic some ACE. I would also think the hurricane tally goes to the EPAC, or both basins if somehow Bonnie achieves hurricane intensity today

So there aren't any guidelines for that? Seems like the logical option, but I was wondering if there's really some standard procedure for that.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#453 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:24 am

Jelmergraaff wrote:
FireRat wrote:

So there aren't any guidelines for that? Seems like the logical option, but I was wondering if there's really some standard procedure for that.

There are guidelines. They were enacted for Otto in 2016. Bonnie will effectively become an EPAC storm, and will count towards the EPAC's seasonal ACE counts. Atlantic Bonnie will only be counted as a TS in our basin.
3 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#454 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:44 am

aspen wrote:15 advisory cycles at a PTC…let’s see if anything else this year tries to surpass that record.

I hope not! :yayaya:
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#455 Postby USTropics » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am

Jelmergraaff wrote:
FireRat wrote:

It will retain the name but the WMO will still recognize it as an EPAC system after it crosses over (meaning all tracking guidance will be EPAC thereafter). The WMO recognizes 10 regions/agencies for tracking tropical systems:

The Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and North Atlantic (NHC/RSMC Miami) - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Eastern North Pacific (NHC/CPHC/RSMC Honolulu) - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Central North Pacific (CPHC/RSMC Honolulu) - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcphc.php
Western North Pacific and South China Sea (JMA/RSMC Tokyo) - https://www.jma.go.jp/jma/indexe.html
Southern Pacific (FMS/Nadi) - https://www.met.gov.fj/
Southern Pacific below 25S (MetService/TCWC Wellington) - https://www.metservice.com/warnings/tro ... e-activity
Southwest Indian Ocean (MFR/RSMC La Reunion) - http://meteofrance.com/
Northern Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, and Bay of Bengal (IMD/RSMC New Delhi) - http://mausam.imd.gov.in/

Within Australia/New Zealand there are 2 agencies that have different areas of responsibilities
Australian Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre's (TCWC) - http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/tropical- ... /warnings/
Port Moresby Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre - http://www.pngmet.gov.pg/warnings/smartalert/

Hermine in 2010 was the first example of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_ ... mine_(2010). Here is visually how WMO tracked that crossover:
5 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#456 Postby MarioProtVI » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 am

Finally Bonnie has arrived. About damn time, now time for a rare feat, a crossover!
0 likes   

KirbyDude25
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#457 Postby KirbyDude25 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 am

MarioProtVI wrote:Finally Bonnie has arrived. About damn time, now time for a rare feat, a crossover!

An intact crossover, no less! That would be the first ATL-EPAC intact crossover since 2016 if I'm correct.
0 likes   
New Jersey, Rutgers '27
Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Fay 2020 | Isaias 2020 | Ida 2021

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#458 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 am

Dear Colin, Danielle, Earl, and the rest,

If you are planning on becoming a PTC, please do not give us wx trackers a big headache like your predecessors Alex and Bonnie did and remain a PTC for multiple days in a row. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Category5Kaiju
7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#459 Postby galaxy401 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:53 am

Finally. Earlier advisory had landfall in 24 hours but with Bonnie still not really slowing down, landfall will probably be within 12 hours. The Atlantic might be the only region on the planet where storms in the deep tropics move at an unreasonably fast pace. :lol:
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#460 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:09 pm

Welp, there you go.
5 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “2022”