EPAC: BONNIE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#401 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:15 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
aspen wrote:This has been a very annoying season so far with Alex and now PTC-2. It’s taking forever for these systems to develop, and model intensity (and to a lesser extent track) has not verified well at all. I remember some models were showing PTC-2 to be several degrees further east today than it is now, and intensification has kept on being pushed back for the last week. PTC days will probably exceed actual named storm days until things kick into gear in August.

Not sure why PTC-2 isn’t developing convection despite pulling away from land (inflow shouldn’t be hindered as much) and remaining in a moist, warm environment.

I can remember some very similar comments in the early 2017 season. Careful what you wish for, haha.

Should see convection getting into the core in a few hours. As you mentioned, a lot of the inflow will be moving offshore soon, but also, the inflow over land should start moistening as daytime heating fires off diurnal convection. Already starting to see that now.

Oh I know I’ll probably be eating some of my words in a few months, but like how early 2017 was notable for all of its shorties, early 2022 will probably be infamous for its ridiculous PTC days. Maybe Colin will surpass PTC2’s duration record.

It’s still incredible how 2017 went from the season with the lowest ACE for its first 5 storms, to ending up at 224 ACE and shattering multiple high ACE records.
6 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#402 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:57 pm

A hot tower just popped up on the NE side of PTC2’s circulation. Maybe this is the start of its recovery and intensification? It has another 28-32 hours left.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#403 Postby FireRat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:08 pm

aspen wrote:A hot tower just popped up on the NE side of PTC2’s circulation. Maybe this is the start of its recovery and intensification? It has another 28-32 hours left.

Guess we'll see, not much time left and the NHC this year seems to be more conservative than past seasons, they really don't seem to want to name systems that are too borderline like in the past 2 years. Would not surprise me to never see Bonnie out of this storm at this rate.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#404 Postby Teban54 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm

aspen wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
aspen wrote:This has been a very annoying season so far with Alex and now PTC-2. It’s taking forever for these systems to develop, and model intensity (and to a lesser extent track) has not verified well at all. I remember some models were showing PTC-2 to be several degrees further east today than it is now, and intensification has kept on being pushed back for the last week. PTC days will probably exceed actual named storm days until things kick into gear in August.

Not sure why PTC-2 isn’t developing convection despite pulling away from land (inflow shouldn’t be hindered as much) and remaining in a moist, warm environment.

I can remember some very similar comments in the early 2017 season. Careful what you wish for, haha.

Should see convection getting into the core in a few hours. As you mentioned, a lot of the inflow will be moving offshore soon, but also, the inflow over land should start moistening as daytime heating fires off diurnal convection. Already starting to see that now.

Oh I know I’ll probably be eating some of my words in a few months, but like how early 2017 was notable for all of its shorties, early 2022 will probably be infamous for its ridiculous PTC days. Maybe Colin will surpass PTC2’s duration record.

It’s still incredible how 2017 went from the season with the lowest ACE for its first 5 storms, to ending up at 224 ACE and shattering multiple high ACE records.

Random fact: 2017 is also the only year (so far) when a PTC did not develop into a tropical cyclone.
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#405 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm

Teban54 wrote:
aspen wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:I can remember some very similar comments in the early 2017 season. Careful what you wish for, haha.

Random fact: 2017 is also the only year (so far) when a PTC did not develop into a tropical cyclone.

There was also PTC-17E in 2019 that failed to become a TC, and it was one of only a few systems to be designated as a PTC in the East Pacific.
0 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#406 Postby WiscoWx02 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:34 pm

FireRat wrote:
aspen wrote:A hot tower just popped up on the NE side of PTC2’s circulation. Maybe this is the start of its recovery and intensification? It has another 28-32 hours left.

Guess we'll see, not much time left and the NHC this year seems to be more conservative than past seasons, they really don't seem to want to name systems that are too borderline like in the past 2 years. Would not surprise me to never see Bonnie out of this storm at this rate.

I think you are probably right on that…really starting to doubt this ever gets its act together, if it’s not one thing its the other, no circulation but convection, now circulation but no convection.

Edit: WAIT…perhaps I spoke too soon…convection picking up a tad…maybe sundown will work it’s normal magic
1 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#407 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

1 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#408 Postby Jr0d » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

I wasnt expecting any significant development until it got to 75W....and now we are there.

Obviously its forward speed will hinder development, but still think it will be a bonafide tropical storm before landfall.

Edit to add:

Also happy to see there is no more talk of this making it to the GoM anymore :)
3 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#409 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:19 pm

0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#410 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:31 pm

Hey guys it’s doing that thing
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#411 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 pm

Not seeing how this will become anything more than a 55 knot TS, but we'll see.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#412 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:Hey guys it’s doing that thing

It only took, what, a week to finally get there. Took good advantage of an unusually favorable late June environment. /s
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#413 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:41 pm

Finally starting to get some convection, should see Bonnie pretty soon I would think. Probably won't be able to get to hurricane strength but it might become a decent TS before landfall. Better chance of a hurricane in the EPAC
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#414 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:46 pm

2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#415 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:48 pm

Still no upgrade though. Maybe tonight

BULLETIN
Potential Tropical Cyclone Two Intermediate Advisory Number 13A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL022022
800 PM EDT Thu Jun 30 2022

...AIRCRAFT AND SATELLITE DATA INDICATE THE DISTURBANCE IS
BECOMING SOMEWHAT BETTER ORGANIZED...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...11.9N 76.9W
ABOUT 455 MI...730 KM E OF BLUEFIELDS NICARAGUA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB...29.68 INCHES
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#416 Postby Hammy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Ironically recon indicates there's no longer a closed circulation like there was earlier.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#417 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:16 pm

This is literally like watching paint dry lol. When it was first designated near the Antilles, it had some distance before forecasts called for it to become a tropical storm. It kept on delaying and delaying and delaying it. What even caused it to not become a NS? Was it merely just because of how fast it was going?

Also, assuming this does not get a name in the Atlantic, does that mean it will have a lower chance of becoming a NS in the EPAC too? I don't see any AOIs highlighted in the far eastern EPAC in the NHC's graphic at least
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#418 Postby WiscoWx02 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:18 pm

Hammy wrote:Ironically recon indicates there's no longer a closed circulation like there was earlier.

Go figure. Bonnie is gonna have to wait until mid August at this rate.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#419 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Should have never even gotten to this point in June, so in my opinion it's behaving more like expected. A low latitude wave that does not develop until it reaches the EPAC.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#420 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:29 pm

1 likes   

Return to “2022”