EPAC: BONNIE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: TWO - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#281 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#282 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm

A 74 mph gust was reported in Grenada.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#283 Postby skyline385 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:25 pm

2 likes   

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#284 Postby zzh » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 pm

https://twitter.com/WxPatel/status/1541919741597880320

Piarco International Airport in Trinidad and Tobago reported NW wind of 3 mph at 21Z. Probably has a surface circulation now.
2 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#285 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#286 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:54 pm

AL, 02, 2022062900, , BEST, 0, 106N, 612W, 35, 1011, DB
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#287 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Peak winds on Trinidad 15 kts this afternoon. Tobago had a gust to 35 kts at 1835Z. Winds are calm in Trinidad (TTPP) now. Accuweather has a good radar from Trinidad. Quite good banding on radar, but that's a mid-level rotation. Zero evidence of a LLC on surface obs. I don't see how it will strengthen as it rakes the coast of SA over the next 36 hours.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/tt/national/weather-radar
1 likes   

arizona_sooner
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#288 Postby arizona_sooner » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 pm

I was just on the phone with a friend in central Trinidad. Not a whole lot of rain/wind there at all. Only a little rain in south Trinidad according to my step-daughter earlier this evening. It appears to be just a small amount of rain and wind for them, pretty much normal for the wet season. Maybe some heavier rain tomorrow with the trailing part of the system.
Last edited by arizona_sooner on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#289 Postby aspen » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 pm

Lots of hot towers going up in the last hour. Maybe this’ll be enough to translate the MLC down to the surface overnight.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#290 Postby hurricanes1234 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 pm

arizona_sooner wrote:I was just on the phone with a friend in central Trinidad. Not a whole lot of rain/wind there at all. Only a little rain in south Trinidad according to my step-daughter earlier this evening. It appears to be just a small amount of rain and wind for them, pretty much normal for the wet season. Maybe some heavier rain tomorrow with the trailing part of the system.

Yes I'm from Diego Martin and it seems like people are starting to grow sceptical now since the orange alert began at 8 PM and there has barely been a drop of rain anywhere since. Shelters were opened, schools were closed and people were stocking up on gas and supplies all day. The roads were a mess.

As wxman57 said, there hasn't been any storm-force wind either in most places all day, particularly near Port of Spain. Right now, it's completely calm.

Earlier today, some areas saw heavy rainfall but it was patchy. Also as you were saying, nothing drastically different from what an ordinary wet season day would bring. I guess we'll see if more storms fire up overnight during diurnal maximum.
1 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#291 Postby MarioProtVI » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm

If it doesn’t consolidate tonight I don’t expect them to name it until at least Friday because of Venezuelan airspace forbidding recon from entering their zone (where POTC 2 is heading) and they’ll be very picky naming it without enough evidence to consider it.
0 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#292 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:17 pm

arizona_sooner wrote:I was just on the phone with a friend in central Trinidad. Not a whole lot of rain/wind there at all. Only a little rain in south Trinidad according to my step-daughter earlier this evening. It appears to be just a small amount of rain and wind for them, pretty much normal for the wet season. Maybe some heavier rain tomorrow with the trailing part of the system.

Yeah - south side was very limited in terms of convection and wind compared to further north. Center of the system appeared to have passed either over or just north of Tobago, and a hurricane-force wind gust was recorded on Grenada, along with other TS-force sustained winds and gusts on nearby islands.  https://twitter.com/TTWeatherCenter/status/1541869591273607169

The system as a whole is still somewhat disorganized but surface OBS, radar, and cloud motions seem to indicate we have a developing LLC WSW of Grenada. Might be enough to get named by the next recon flight or even sooner, if convection continues firing near it. Definitely further north than where most models have it, which could have big implications for the strength and track of this system down the line.

Time to cloud-watch!
Last edited by NXStumpy_Robothing on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#293 Postby Hurricane Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 pm

I'm very impressed by the anti-cyclone the wave is building over the top of it.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#294 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm

I don't know how much this can organize moving at 23kts to the west. There does, however, seem to be a circulation drilling down to the surface west of Grenada.
With these systems the weather is mostly on the north side.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#295 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:41 pm

2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#296 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 am

Granted Harvey was about 100 miles off the coast of SA, But we can't forget models were forecasting something like this

Hopefully land interaction limits its chances in gaining a coherent LLC.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#297 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:14 am

If this was moving slower and it was August, I think this would be a much bigger deal. The 25 mph forward speed does not help a developing system at all.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#298 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 am

With this system, and Elsa, and countless other June/July systems historically in the Atlantic, what I've just started to realize is how having little dry air, low shear, and very wam ssts in the Caribbean are still not enough for a decent system, especially if this system travels at 20+ mph speeds. I think this linear speed disadvantage is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, aside from shear, dry air, and sst, why it's so hard to get a major Caribbean system in June and July. This really shows how 2005 was in a divine, hellish realm of its own to have a Cat 4 and a Cat 5 during a time when storms should, at the very most, struggle to really develop into anything major thanks to the sheer speed at which they travel.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#299 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:08 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:With this system, and Elsa, and countless other June/July systems historically in the Atlantic, what I've just started to realize is how having little dry air, low shear, and very wam ssts in the Caribbean are still not enough for a decent system, especially if this system travels at 20+ mph speeds. I think this linear speed disadvantage is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, aside from shear, dry air, and sst, why it's so hard to get a major Caribbean system in June and July. This really shows how 2005 was in a divine, hellish realm of its own to have a Cat 4 and a Cat 5 during a time when storms should, at the very most, struggle to really develop into anything major thanks to the sheer speed at which they travel.

There are always the odd exceptions: Charley in 2004 managed to take off despite moving at a quick clip. But that was exceptional. Unlike at higher latitudes, there is no baroclinic forcing or trough divergence in the deep tropics that can offset a fast forward speed.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#300 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:42 am

Looks ready to be classified as TS Bonnie but has to have a LLC.

0 likes   

Return to “2022”