KC7NEC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#2141 Postby KC7NEC » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:35 am

NASA has decided to roll back it's SLS rocket from the pad to the VAB at KSC:

https://twitter.com/NASAArtemis/status/1574406114266972163

1 likes   
// Opinions are my own, I am not a Meteorologist. Consult the NHC or Local NWS and Emergency Management for current information in your area. //

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#2142 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:36 am

New towers going up south of the center. We'll have to see if it can wrap that convection around. If so, it could try to bomb out to a major before it reaches Cuba
Last edited by ElectricStorm on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

karenfromheaven
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2143 Postby karenfromheaven » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:38 am

Sanibel wrote:RI probably gulped-in some remnant dry air from Fiona...

This is a tough call on evacuation here on Sanibel because of the Charley factor...Plus I think this one might have surge unlike Charley, Wilma, and Irma...

The Bermuda High will make us or break us...

Have you studied the CERA website for surge? The bridge causeway off the island is underwater. You'll be cut off given the current NHC 13 track. That's without any Charlie-type deviations.
2 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#2144 Postby ronjon » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:40 am

underthwx wrote:
Sanibel wrote:RI probably gulped-in some remnant dry air from Fiona...

This is a tough call on evacuation here on Sanibel because of the Charley factor...Plus I think this one might have surge unlike Charley, Wilma, and Irma...

The Bermuda High will make us or break us...

Sanibel, you do have a storm surge watch posted for 4-7 feet. I think because this storm is forecasted to be so large and powerful, even if its well off the coast, surge may be significant for SW FL.
1 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2145 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am

TallyTracker wrote:The convection is still pulsing. Is there mid-level shear impacting the cyclone that has not been analyzed properly? That with dry air intrusions is what it looks like to me. It wouldn’t be the first time unforeseen mid-level shear caused problems with a developing hurricane. Only a little can severely disrupt a hurricane.

It’s pretty common to see hurricanes take a dry air intrusion when they’re in the process of clearing out an eye. Not really seeing anything that isn’t par for the course. Intensification often doesn’t occur at a consistent rate.

Haven’t checked when the next recon is, but what I’m most interested in is if they will find a more symmetrical wind field. It has improved since last night when it was upgraded, when it had 71kt fl winds in the ne quad, but like 40kt winds in the nw quad. Still a ways to go though. You guys might remember Grace last year had that problem, and then when the wind field got sorted out it jumped to cat 3. Likely a similar situation here where intensification will resume once the wind field get in order
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#2146 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am

Ian's battle against that pesky bit of dry air is becoming quite apparent on visible imagery, with a dry tongue (red) working its way towards the core. However, convection has recently been rotating into the N and eventually NW quads (blue), with some fresher activity in the SW quad (green). The mixing process could take a few more hours, possibly enough to spare Cuba from a MH landfall.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

AviationWatcher
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#2147 Postby AviationWatcher » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 am

ElectricStorm wrote:New towers going up south of the center. We'll have to see if it can wrap that convection around. If so, it could try to bomb out to a major before it reaches Cuba

If that happens, do you think a Category 5 landfall in Florida be a possibility?
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2148 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:48 am

8 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2149 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:48 am

AviationWatcher wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:New towers going up south of the center. We'll have to see if it can wrap that convection around. If so, it could try to bomb out to a major before it reaches Cuba

If that happens, do you think a Category 5 landfall in Florida be a possibility?

No, the dry air and wind shear would increase.
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2150 Postby CronkPSU » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 am

AviationWatcher wrote:

is there a possibility, sure

there is also a possibility Ariana Grande spots me at a concert and marries me...
14 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#2151 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 am

AviationWatcher wrote:

Very unlikely, probably won't become a Cat 5 at all anyway. I think the NHC forecast looks pretty good for now
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2152 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:52 am

Should have an eye soon. radar showing a contracting core that is nearly closed off through the mid levels. satellite showing the beginnings of the upper level eye beginning to show itself. That is not a dry air intrusion.
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#2153 Postby kevin » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:53 am

AviationWatcher wrote:

Theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. Even if Ian would reach cat 5 status (which I don't think will happen) the current track would weaken it before it makes landfall. A cat 3/4 peak (like NHC is showing at the moment) seems the most realistic forecast for now.
1 likes   

FLpanhandle91
Category 4
Category 4

#2154 Postby FLpanhandle91 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:53 am

Substantial improvement in the SE quad this pass. Multiple hurricane force SFMRs.
1 likes   
Global model run times (CST):
GFS - 0z: 10:30pm, 6z: 4:30am, 12z: 10:30am, 18z: 4:30pm Euro - 0z: 12:30am 12z: 12:30pm

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2155 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:53 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
TallyTracker wrote:The convection is still pulsing. Is there mid-level shear impacting the cyclone that has not been analyzed properly? That with dry air intrusions is what it looks like to me. It wouldn’t be the first time unforeseen mid-level shear caused problems with a developing hurricane. Only a little can severely disrupt a hurricane.

It’s pretty common to see hurricanes take a dry air intrusion when they’re in the process of clearing out an eye. Not really seeing anything that isn’t par for the course. Intensification often doesn’t occur at a consistent rate.

Haven’t checked when the next recon is, but what I’m most interested in is if they will find a more symmetrical wind field. It has improved since last night when it was upgraded, when it had 71kt fl winds in the ne quad, but like 40kt winds in the nw quad. Still a ways to go though. You guys might remember Grace last year had that problem, and then when the wind field got sorted out it jumped to cat 3. Likely a similar situation here where intensification will resume once the wind field get in order

From what I can tell, nothing abnormally strange seems to be going on with Ian. Still looks like it's on its way to intensify pretty substantially. I think this dry air stuff is being *slightly* overemphasized :lol:
8 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#2156 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am

SE eyewall stronger than last pass, also down to 981 and not at the center yet
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#2157 Postby kevin » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:55 am

74 kt FL winds and 69 kt SFMR. Might be enough for an upgrade to 70 kt for the next advisory even though I would also understand keeping it at 65 kt.
1 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2158 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 am

kevin wrote:74 kt FL winds and 69 kt SFMR. Might be enough for an upgrade to 70 kt for the next advisory even though I would also understand keeping it at 65 kt.

Yeah that SE quad is much improved from the last pass. Likely still strengthening
2 likes   

Kat5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2159 Postby Kat5 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 am

Still moving NW might go left of the track.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2160 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:59 am

ElectricStorm wrote:SE eyewall stronger than last pass, also down to 981 and not at the center yet

The crazy pressure gradient is the part that bothers me the most.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/recon_AF300-1409A-IAN_zoom.png
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “2022”