eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#2221 Postby eastcoastFL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 am

Looks to be cooperating for the moment with the track with slight wobbles right

3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2222 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:47 am

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1574440282552430598

It's something that I am trying to remind people of.
9 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#2223 Postby eastcoastFL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:48 am

wxman57 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:Eyewall convection is building around what should be a pretty tiny eye soon.

https://i.ibb.co/9hVwg99/eye.png

Looks like a false eye, to me. Pressure would be a lot lower and recon would be finding a lot stronger winds if a tiny eye was forming.

It seemed a little soon for a pinhole eye. Have you looked at the recent recon data ? Are there any signs of imminent RI?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#2224 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:51 am

eastcoastFL wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:Eyewall convection is building around what should be a pretty tiny eye soon.

Looks like a false eye, to me. Pressure would be a lot lower and recon would be finding a lot stronger winds if a tiny eye was forming.

It seemed a little soon for a pinhole eye. Have you looked at the recent recon data ? Are there any signs of imminent RI?

Not much has changed with the data since earlier this morning. Pressure has been pretty steady at 981mb and not much change is wind speed either. It is mixing out some dry air that got into the core, but that is just about all mixed out.
Last edited by ScottNAtlanta on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#2225 Postby eastcoastFL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:51 am

CrazyC83 wrote:https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1574440282552430598

It's something that I am trying to remind people of.

There will always be those people who think their prior experience with storms means they’ve seen it all and they can handle anything. Sadly they tend to be in the most vulnerable areas a lot of the times. I hope everyone along the west coast takes this seriously and does not focus on the current status of the storm. Always prepare for one category higher than forecast for your area has always been a solid prep plan to me.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2226 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:52 am

wxman57 wrote:

It is just the beginning of it. pressure will fall.

Radar confirms a tiny eye. it could of course collapse if an outer eyewall starts to develop as well.. but right now there is one continuous spiral band into the tiny eye.

6 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#2227 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:52 am

977mb extrapolated last pass, big jump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2228 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:52 am

eastcoastFL wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

No, no sign of RI. Recon reports that the eye is 30nm across. No pinhole eye forming. Stop zooming in so far on the satellite.
6 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#2229 Postby eastcoastFL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:54 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Not much has changed with the data since earlier this morning. Pressure has been pretty steady at 981mb and not much change is wind speed either. It is mixing out some dry air that got into the core, but that is just about all mixed out.

I think I just saw 977mb unless it was flagged
4 likes   

FLpanhandle91
Category 4
Category 4

#2230 Postby FLpanhandle91 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am

Pressure data missing from the center pass. Will have to wait for dropsonde.
1 likes   
Global model run times (CST):
GFS - 0z: 10:30pm, 6z: 4:30am, 12z: 10:30am, 18z: 4:30pm Euro - 0z: 12:30am 12z: 12:30pm

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#2231 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am

eastcoastFL wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:

I think I just saw 977mb unless it was flagged

I am waiting for a dropsonde reading (if they were able to get one in), but the extrapolated readings are about 4mb lower than previous extrapolated readings.
There is a 982 with 48kt winds which would imply it is at least 4mb lower.
Last edited by ScottNAtlanta on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#2232 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:56 am

FLpanhandle91 wrote:Pressure data missing from the center pass. Will have to wait for dropsonde.

It was 977mb at the wind shift.
2 likes   

CryHavoc
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2233 Postby CryHavoc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am

wxman57 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

No, no sign of RI. Recon reports that the eye is 30nm across. No pinhole eye forming. Stop zooming in so far on the satellite.

Not sure I agree with him, mind you, but the Met on CNN did just state that Ian is RIing at 12:30 eastern time.
4 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#2234 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 pm

wxman57 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

No sign of RI right now, but I bet we will have RI by tonight especially when you look at the NHC forecasted numbers
1 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#2235 Postby DestinHurricane » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:01 pm

recon seeming to have trouble not missing the eye...
2 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2236 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:02 pm

CryHavoc wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:

Not sure I agree with him, mind you, but the Met on CNN did just state that Ian is RIing at 12:30 eastern time.

They aren’t scrutinizing the storm the way we are. Ian has been rapidly intensifying for the prior 18 hours, and is likely to resume RI again soon, but is currently intensifying more slowly. For public consideration, it makes more sense to keep the message consistent and say what they did
6 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2237 Postby psyclone » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:12 pm

Ian is really increasing in size as it assembles a massive galaxy of spiral bands. Even Jamaica is getting some outer bands again.
1 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#2238 Postby DestinHurricane » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:13 pm

There is clearly a 5nm wide ish eye forming https://www.weather.gov.ky/radar
2 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

FLpanhandle91
Category 4
Category 4

#2239 Postby FLpanhandle91 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:13 pm

How does the topography of CA impact the inflow of storms in close proximity to the coast? Is it possible Ian was impacted by this earlier in its life and is now benefiting from more separation from the coastline?
1 likes   
Global model run times (CST):
GFS - 0z: 10:30pm, 6z: 4:30am, 12z: 10:30am, 18z: 4:30pm Euro - 0z: 12:30am 12z: 12:30pm

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#2240 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

It is just the beginning of it. pressure will fall.

Radar confirms a tiny eye. it could of course collapse if an outer eyewall starts to develop as well.. but right now there is one continuous spiral band into the tiny eye.

https://i.ibb.co/48Rg7Gz/eye2.png

Definitely a double eyewall. You can even see the double wind maxima on the pass through the NW quadrant. This won’t be able to intensify much until that inner eyewall is gone.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Return to “2022”