Moderator: S2k Moderators

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#5941 Postby Nuno » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:37 am

Ronel2020 wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
bcargile wrote:I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this, and hope some of the regulars will reengage for discussion.

I don’t think Ian is a Hurricane or Tropical Storm at this point. There is a low pressure system that is bringing in rain wind and interacting with Ian. But the actual storm, I believe has lost its core and Tropical characteristics. Notice how every website and TV channel showed the radar view for 3 days prior to and through its journey across Florida. No one is showing it now, because it doesn’t have the Hurricane pattern even more. There is no moisture on the lower half. Still bad conditions and dangerous elements to deal with, but not a Hurricane or Tropical Storm. Not seeing anything more than 20-30 knots at the SC and NC beach spots. 36 k at Charleston Harbor.

I think Ian has decided he’s mad at you for making such a comment, given the recent formation of an eyewall.

I’m guessing it still counts as subtropical at this point, definitely not fully tropical. Maybe gcane can shed some light on how warm the core is?

Edit: gif didn’t work when I posted, fixed it

The NHC mentioned this in their discussion at 5 AM - “Ian continues to display hybrid tropical/extratropical characteristics, and the satellite appearance is increasingly taking on the pattern of an occluded low.” They also said that it should merge with the shortwave trough over the next day. I find their discussions very helpful and usually read that instead of the general bulletins. Heck, they mentioned many times before landfall in Florida that track was highly uncertain.

They did in their discussions, but the messaging was quite lackluster... the watches should have been up because of the mere possibility of a track drift instead of trying to pinpoint a precise small stretch of coastline. The NHC was constantly playing catch up, issuing only inland watches at 5am Tuesday for Dade and Broward for some reason omitting the coastal section until 11am? This resulted in children going to school in what was arguably the most dangerous day in hindsight for SEFL leading up to Ian. This has been a very difficult storm to forecast, but there really seemed a disconnect in their messaging and actual warning products. In my amateur opinion, the NHC should be more liberal in recommending watches. Better to be safe than sorry. Watches are not a "boy crying wolf" situation, it is only the "possibility" of conditions as such should be used to cover themselves in highly uncertain tracks.

At this rate, it doesn't matter if Ian is subtropical or hurricane or cold core or whatever. We shouldn't get hung up on the science specifics when public safety is the most pressing matter during a landfall situation. You don't want a repeat of the Sandy scenario, dropping warnings because the nature of the storm had evolved meteorologically... the general public doesn't know and often just doesn't care about those differences. We can always go back and reanalyze the specifics of the science in the TCR.
Last edited by Nuno on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5942 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am

StormSkeptic wrote:
LarryWx wrote:Buoy 41004, which is at 32.5N, 79.1W, is very near the center. It last reported at 10:40 AM a SLP of 28.96" or 981 mb. Winds had become much lighter, with the center barely south then, at 14 knots from the ESE. Two hours earlier they were at 43 knots, gusting to 58 knots. All of the constantly updated data is here along with a cool recent photo of the high seas:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page. ... ><br

down to 980mb now, so close to the center. Will be telling when the south side of the storm hits. That is where the highest winds are according to recon.

Latest report (11:20 AM) from this buoy, which is ~65 miles ESE of Charleston, down to 28.92"/979 mb with a south wind at only 8 knots:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page. ... ><br
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5943 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:01 am

Lowest Extrapolated pressure is at 977.6 mb, landfall imminent.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#5944 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:05 am

Good thing Ian doesn't have a couple more hours over water.
2 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#5945 Postby galaxy401 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:09 am

Death toll is up to 30 now in Florida. With that and the missing migrants from that boat that sunk, this may go way higher...
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

blueskies
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5946 Postby blueskies » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:15 am

weeniepatrol wrote:
Jr0d wrote:This storm defeated me and millions of others. Our home in Key West was seriously flooded and we cant live there for the foreseeable future. Still have a long way to go in terms of drying out and cleaning up. Currently staying at a hotel and paying out of pocket.

Currently the Florida Keys residents are not eligible for FEMA relief as Monroe County has not been added to the list of "disaster areas", other areas with significantly less wind and bo surge have already been approved (i e.Polk, Seminole, Orange/Orlando, Pinellas, ect .)

While we have not suffered a total loss like many, losing well over half of our possessions and not knowing where we will be able to live in the weeks ahead is a horrible experience. There are perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe millions others who no longer can go home as a result of Ian.

I expected it to be worse than predicted for Key West, I was not ready for the surge. I regret not making one last sweep and putting valuables on high ground. We stayed at a hotel as we expected street flooding did not want to be flooded in with a 9 and 6 year old. I am glad we did as they would have be terrified with water rushing in the house and not knowing when it would stop.

I have been writing my local officials to get our county added to FEMA's list. Even if we can apply (today) Friday, we will not get any help until Tuesday. Meanwhile I have to keep paying for a hotel room and cant leave and stay with family as both of us still have to work.

I feel for those who lost everything, I cant imagine. As I said this ordeal has defeated me.

Man. This was difficult to read. At least you still have your life. Which is the only truly irreplaceable thing. I wish you luck and peace.

Maybe members of Storm2K and others could find a way to contribute/transfer hotel points for people needing assistance with short term lodging. Airline reward points could probably be used toward some hotels.
5 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#5947 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:18 am

saved loop
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ronel2020
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5948 Postby Ronel2020 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23 am

We have been in that orange band on tolakram’s saved loop for over an hour.

Water is rising in Myrtle Beach and many areas north of Charleston.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stati ... id=8661070

Tide may reach over 10’ there.
2 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#5949 Postby Shoshana » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:27 am

Sanibel wrote:Good cell reception at Twins Spring Training ballpark...

A relative saw a flyover of my house...Roof intact and apparently still standing...Hope it didn't wash through in living area above stilts...

Funeral home was prompt and took my mother's body away yesterday at 1pm...4 foor surge had lapped at building first floor where she died...Person also died of heart attack there in car...

Got word from Sun Dial Resort 20 foot surge washed through second storie there...

I am so sorry for you and your family’s loss. May her memory be a blessing. I wish I had more words.

‘shana
2 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#5950 Postby Shoshana » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:31 am

Jr0d wrote:
Blinhart wrote:
I don't understand why it would be so hard for the county officials that are in charge of Key West to apply and get the declaration done. I would think almost any county in the Peninsula, except for those that are on the SE coast around Fort Lauderdale and Miami, would be able to get the declaration done almost immediately.

We should have had a hurricane warning. Countless people rode this out on their boat. Last I head one couple and their dog is still missing at sea.

A lot of folks expected "only a tropical storm" because we were under a tropical warning, not a hurricane.

I've emailed elected officials...screen shot the FEMA page where it says we are not on the list. The Mayor of Key West emailed me back and said she showed it to the FEMA officials.

I understand that we got it much worse than expected, therefore not one of the first counties on the list as those in hurricane warning area were"pre-approved" before landfall. What I don't understand is how Polk, Orange and Seminole got on the list before Monroe County.

Hopefully we can file today, but it takes at least 2 business days to process....

I agree with you, and the governor should issue a disaster declaration

‘shana
3 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#5951 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:32 am

73kt gust 2 ESE Charleston per LSR.
1 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#5952 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am

Looks like we probably have landfall now
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#5953 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am

Radar presentation makes it look like the center is getting elongated north to south and has stopped progressing westward for now.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5954 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:42 am

Highest sustained wind I'm finding past few hours is Charleston with 37 kts gusting 52 kts. Charleston is in a band of heavier squalls. Not seeing any other airports reporting TS wind. Center is on the coast between Charleston & Myrtle beach.
1 likes   

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5955 Postby Old-TimeCane » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am

Quite wet and windy in Conway, SC just inland from Myrtle Beach right now. My current pressure is 994.5mb. Winds not particularly bad. Highest gust so far 38mph and 6ft above ground. It's been a noisy morning.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#5956 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:46 am

Murrells Inlet South Carolina

Link: https://youtu.be/tPgFzaOeQao
3 likes   
Tropicwatch

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5957 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:50 am

Iceresistance wrote:Lowest Extrapolated pressure is at 977.6 mb, landfall imminent.

I'm guessing, based on it being near the 32.5N, 79.1W buoy at 11:30 AM, that landfall will be in the upper part of the SC coast around mid-afternoon. If Ian continues mainly northward and doesn't landfall til near Myrtle Beach, it could be as late as ~4 PM. But if it turns left sharply toward Georgetown, it could landfall as early as ~2PM.

Looking at the latest reports from the SC coast, the SLP is now lowest and falling most rapidly at Georgetown (ignore the Charleston Waterfront Park SLP, which always runs way lower than nearby stations and is thus bogus). As of 12:35 PM, it was 29.13"/986 mb. An hour earlier it was at 29.25" and two hours earlier it was at 29.36":

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=kgge
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5958 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:Looks like we probably have landfall now

What you see on radar is not the surface center. That is some kind of eddy. The center was near the 41004 buoy just 1.5 hours ago and that's ~65 miles ESE of Charleston.
0 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5959 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:56 am

Shutes Folly just gusted to 92 mph, highest I've seen so far.
7 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#5960 Postby Hurricane Mike » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:58 am

Coming ashore soon, here's a video update for anyone interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhMOv2n56A
3 likes   

Return to “2022”