Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#5861 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:52 pm

0 likes   

Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2

#5862 Postby Kohlecane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 pm

jasons2k wrote:I have on WTOC from Savannah. It’s 59 degrees in Savannah under a Tropical Storm Warning. You don’t see that every day.

Yeah Was not like this with Matthew in '16 that's for sure!
0 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#5863 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:40 pm

I wonder why the HH didn't finish its northeast leg and headed back to the center. One thing that seems apparent. Ian is just wobbling around out there with little real direction of movement.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

socplay02
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5864 Postby socplay02 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:I think there may be some chance at this rate Ian could reach category 2 before landfall. The trees in the Carolinas are not suited to such winds, especially away from the coast - deciduous trees do not do well.

Raleigh area there are so many super full beautiful trees, buy they aren't trimmed to let the wind pass through either...sort of jarring after having lived in South Florida for 8 years...guess I got used to the trees being pruned consistently just like I got used to the palm trees!

Went out quick after the 11pm advisory to get some water, a bit more canned food, fill my gas tank and get some cash out of the atm. I figured I'd see more people out there doing the same, but I was the only one with water in my cart.

Things keep trending east, winds keep trending higher and rain keeps trending up (5 inches potentiality now and yesterday they said 2-4, but sounded like they would bet low end). Very curious what the morning track will look like.

It hasn't really rained much lately either. Probably good for trees having a better chance to make it through, but would think not great for flash flooding.
5 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#5865 Postby FireRat » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:07 am

Sanibel wrote:Sanibel Causeway had section washed-out...Zero word from island...Chinooks landing at RSW...

My mother died during Ian in the storm...

I'm so sorry for your loss Sanibel! :(
It pains me so much to hear about what happened to your mother and island paradise. I know how terrible it is to lose a loved one in such a disaster, and hope you can find some comfort in these tough times. I lost my dad to covid 2 years ago, and the pain is something that remains with you but you will be able to remember your mom with happiness and find a way to live with the pain.
Best wishes to you.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#5866 Postby FireRat » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am

socplay02 wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:I think there may be some chance at this rate Ian could reach category 2 before landfall. The trees in the Carolinas are not suited to such winds, especially away from the coast - deciduous trees do not do well.

Raleigh area there are so many super full beautiful trees, buy they aren't trimmed to let the wind pass through either...sort of jarring after having lived in South Florida for 8 years...guess I got used to the trees being pruned consistently just like I got used to the palm trees!

Went out quick after the 11pm advisory to get some water, a bit more canned food, fill my gas tank and get some cash out of the atm. I figured I'd see more people out there doing the same, but I was the only one with water in my cart.

Things keep trending east, winds keep trending higher and rain keeps trending up (5 inches potentiality now and yesterday they said 2-4, but sounded like they would bet low end). Very curious what the morning track will look like.

It hasn't really rained much lately either. Probably good for trees having a better chance to make it through, but would think not great for flash flooding.

Oh boy, looks like I'm going to have some weather tomorrow by the looks of it. I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area myself, and it's true that the trees come down with just 40 to 50 mph winds. Power outages can be an issue here, the whole town lost power with Michael as he rolled thru in 2018 as a TS after slamming the FL panhandle.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

socplay02
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5867 Postby socplay02 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:26 am

FireRat wrote:
socplay02 wrote:

Oh boy, looks like I'm going to have some weather tomorrow by the looks of it. I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area myself, and it's true that the trees come down with just 40 to 50 mph winds. Power outages can be an issue here, the whole town lost power with Michael as he rolled thru in 2018 as a TS after slamming the FL panhandle.

I'm planning on potentially being without power through the weekend, and not being able to get out for a few days because trees are blocking the roads.

Edit: planning as in prepping for that, but necessarily expecting that. Do think it's on the table though.
1 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#5868 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:15 am

0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#5869 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am

This is one of the ugliest hurricanes I've ever seen. Florida really gutted this system!
2 likes   

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5870 Postby Rail Dawg » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:46 am

Ok can anyone give a status report on our hurricane chasers who are in the field?

I saw many grave mistakes being made by our (I assume) newer chasers while they were filming live.

Risking their lives to catch the “Stadium Effect”. To catch some clicks.

They and their vehicles should have been 30 feet above the surge.

This is why I just retired from hurricane chasing after 25 years. I used to be alone but now the parking garages will be filled with a new generation of chasers.

If someone on here has any info from any of the known chasers I’d sure like to hear about it.

That used to be my sorry ass.

Chuck
8 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

kassi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5871 Postby kassi » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:57 am

Rail Dawg wrote:Ok can anyone give a status report on our hurricane chasers who are in the field?

I saw many grave mistakes being made by our (I assume) newer chasers while they were filming live.

Risking their lives to catch the “Stadium Effect”. To catch some clicks.

They and their vehicles should have been 30 feet above the surge.

This is why I just retired from hurricane chasing after 25 years. I used to be alone but now the parking garages will be filled with a new generation of chasers.

If someone on here has any info from any of the known chasers I’d sure like to hear about it.

That used to be my sorry ass.

Chuck

I can tell you that Reed Timmer, Josh Morgerman, Brett Adair, and Mark Sudduth have all posted since the storm.
3 likes   

ThunderForce
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5872 Postby ThunderForce » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:13 am

Found out a little while ago that the great-uncle I mentioned earlier and my great-aunt are both safe after Ian passed through too. They had tree damage in their yard but as far as I know they didn't have any major or irreparable structural damage to their house. I was very relieved to hear that they were fine.

I'm praying that the people still unaccounted for after the storm are found safe and sound.
7 likes   
Please refer to the NWS, NHC, SPC or a professional meteorologist for information and decision making during storms.

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5873 Postby jconsor » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:14 am

NHC did quite a job in a challenging forecast situation for Ian, but IMHO there are clearly lessons to be learned from Ian in terms of improving future forecasts.

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1575530654007119877

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1575537160836431872

8 likes   

mantis83
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5874 Postby mantis83 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:25 am

that's why nhc is the best at what they do....
1 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#5875 Postby SouthernBreeze » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:27 am

Now this is getting a little extreme - National Weather Service gives my local weather Friday as:

...East winds 45 to 55 mph with gusts up to 75 mph, increasing to 60 to 80 mph with gusts up to 100 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Friday Night ...South winds 60 to 70 mph with gusts up to 90 mph, becoming southwest and diminishing to 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 60 mph after midnight.
3 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#5876 Postby bob rulz » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:30 am

This is the most incredible/terrifying video of storm surge I've ever seen. Should be necessary viewing for anyone who chooses to ride out a major hurricane in a surge-prone area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro
9 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5877 Postby Jr0d » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:41 am

This storm defeated me and millions of others. Our home in Key West was seriously flooded and we cant live there for the foreseeable future. Still have a long way to go in terms of drying out and cleaning up. Currently staying at a hotel and paying out of pocket.

Currently the Florida Keys residents are not eligible for FEMA relief as Monroe County has not been added to the list of "disaster areas", other areas with significantly less wind and bo surge have already been approved (i e.Polk, Seminole, Orange/Orlando, Pinellas, ect .)

While we have not suffered a total loss like many, losing well over half of our possessions and not knowing where we will be able to live in the weeks ahead is a horrible experience. There are perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe millions others who no longer can go home as a result of Ian.

I expected it to be worse than predicted for Key West, I was not ready for the surge. I regret not making one last sweep and putting valuables on high ground. We stayed at a hotel as we expected street flooding did not want to be flooded in with a 9 and 6 year old. I am glad we did as they would have be terrified with water rushing in the house and not knowing when it would stop.

I have been writing my local officials to get our county added to FEMA's list. Even if we can apply (today) Friday, we will not get any help until Tuesday. Meanwhile I have to keep paying for a hotel room and cant leave and stay with family as both of us still have to work.

I feel for those who lost everything, I cant imagine. As I said this ordeal has defeated me.
10 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5878 Postby jconsor » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:53 am

Thread on severe inland flooding in central Florida in the Orlando-Kissimmee metro area. That area contains hundreds of small lakes, basically a sitting duck for flooding when heavy rains hit. However, this flooding is clearly historic! A thread of videos and photos of the inland flooding in central FL:

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575762186768900098

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575756136007225344

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575757571440271362

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575759618340376576

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575760601657536512

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575761175874514944

https://twitter.com/yconsor/status/1575770593663647744

10 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#5879 Postby Blinhart » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:01 am

rwfromkansas wrote:
Sanibel wrote:Sanibel Causeway had section washed-out...Zero word from island...Chinooks landing at RSW...

My mother died during Ian in the storm...

Oh my word, I am so sorry. I don't have words to say except you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I know the loss of a mother immensely myself from just a few years ago. I am so sorry.

I will echo what everyone else has said, we are so sorry for your loss and you will be in our thoughts and prayers. You take care of yourself and the rest of your family, do not worry about keeping us up to date about anything.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#5880 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:12 am

0 likes   

Return to “2022”